Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 US Modern Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

1972 D Washington in Change, Preserved for Future Collectors

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
stewart
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1072 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2012  07:51 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add stewart to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I have a small glass on my desk that I throw my daily change in. And time permitting on the weekends usually I go through it checking for nice date and condition coins before spending them again. This weekend I found this 1972 D Washington Quarter in the glass. It is in quite nice condition for a change find that is 40 years old. As soon as I saw it I thought of a statement I had read that really struck a cord with me in a recent Coin Week Article written by our own cc99999.

Quote:
the time will come, and sooner than you think, when future generations look back at the dawn of the clad era and wonder why gem and gem+ coins from this period aren't readily available. And when that day comes they will look at us, the supposed stewards of America's numismatic heritage, and see how we failed them.

http://www.coinweek.com/news/coin-g...-everything/

The article speaks mostly of Eisenhower dollars but also heavily addresses All Modern Coinage

So this little change find beauty has been photographed and carefully put into a 2x2 holder to be preserved.

Rest in Peace
United States
3039 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2012  08:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add numismo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ok
Valued Member
United States
266 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2012  08:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add f16 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
that is a nice coin.Where did you get it?bank roll?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1072 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2012  09:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stewart to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
f16,
I found the quarter in my everyday change. It stood right out against the rest of the change. It looks even better in hand than it does in the pictures. I need to practice some more with the photography to try to get the pictures closer to what it looks like at the desk
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2622 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2012  10:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fioti to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
purdy burdy
822 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2012  10:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scubu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
that is a nice coin.Where did you get it?bank roll?

Do you just look at the pictures here?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1034 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2012  7:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cladking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Isn't that a type "b"!?!?

It's valuable already iff so.
Time don't fly, it bounds and leaps.
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
13870 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2012  7:17 pm  Show Profile Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool ;-)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1072 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2012  9:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stewart to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
cladking,

I forgot to even check it for a "B" reverse. But it is not one
after checking it. I think the reason it may look like one
in the pictures is that the "T,A,T,E,S" in States looks to have
had grease in the die when it was struck.
Also after looking at it again in the 2x2 holder I flipped
it over and the reverse is roughly 10 degrees off from the obverse.
Thank You for getting me to look at it again today. Who knows
how long before I would have dug it out again to look
Without know it was a rotated die.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1269 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2012  9:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add southsav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Do you just look at the pictures here?

I often wonder that myself,
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1034 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2012  12:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cladking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

I forgot to even check it for a "B" reverse. But it is not one
after checking it. I think the reason it may look like one
in the pictures is that the "T,A,T,E,S" in States looks to have
had grease in the die when it was struck.

I do need to get a lot more familiar with these. I guess between my lack of good familiarity, the weak strike and unfortunate camera abngle I just got thrown.

Incidentally the '72-D was the last date minted before 1979 to disappear (statistically) from circulation in AU condition. This occurred about 1996. It very soon after disappeared in XF as well. A few XF's that were saved since the states issues were released have trickled back into circulation.

I suspect it held up so well because the surfaces were harder but there may be other factors as well. An AU is a pretty tough coin today but was common as recently as the late-'80's.
Time don't fly, it bounds and leaps.
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
21030 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2012  4:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice!

I wonder if it was recently reintroduced to circulation after sitting in a jar for a couple of decades.
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.97 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05