Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Numismatic Discussion Forums (Non Country Specific)
 Main Coin Forum

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

why majority us shipping only

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
latebloomer
Valued Member
United States
122 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2012  05:24 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add latebloomer to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I have notice looking at auction sites that most not all , do not want to ship outside of the U.S. Can someone please explain the reason. thank you.

Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
Australia
4958 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2012  05:42 am  Show Profile Check trout1105's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I have noticed that and it really is a pain
Aim to Enjoy life. You only get one shot at it
Australia
11046 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2012  07:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can think of lots of reasons.

- Higher shipping charges. Yes, you can add that into your listing, but it makes the listing more complicated.

- International shipping takes longer. Longer to ship, longer to return unwanted items, longer communications delays because they're asleep when you're trying to e-mail them, and vice-versa. More time in transit = higher probability of items going missing.

- Language barriers; many of your potential international buyers will speak English poorly or not at all. That complicates communication, especially if there's a problem with the transaction. You might never figure out if that Portuguese chap you're having a dispute with is a scammer, or simply an honest fellow with poor English.

- Limited Paypal protection. If a seller ships outside of a few select countries, they're on their own as far as Paypal is concerned.

- Some countries have notoriously poor, theft-prone mail systems (India comes to mind). It's easier to block all international shipping than to find out (usually the hard way) which countries should be blacklisted.

- Some countries charge ludicrously high fees for importing even relatively cheap items into the country (Canada, for example). Buyers from those countries often request US sellers to lie on the customs forms, so they don't have to pay their own government's fees. This puts sellers in a dilemma: do you deliberately break US law and lie, just to keep your customer happy, or refuse to lie and risk your customer's wrath?

- Each country has its own rules and regulations about what can and can't be shipped there, and the USPS has it's own interpretations of those rules and regs. Your item could be seized or blocked, and you might never find out that it's happened. For example, did you know it's against USPS regs to ship "coins" to Australia?

- Many sellers either simply don't think that foreigners could be interested in what they have to sell, or their sense of patriotism makes them uneasy about selling off part of their country's history and heritage to foreigners.

I hate having 90% of US sellers block me just because I'm from Australia, but I understand perfectly why they do it. It doesn't really bother me; most of the time I don't usually even notice. If I go to eBay Australia, I can't even see the items being offered by US-only sellers, unless I check a whole bunch of option boxes in the Advanced Search.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Valued Member
United States
122 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2012  10:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add latebloomer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
sap thank you for your information I think you nailed it. I am just beside my self about the shipping. my wife worked for an international shipping/delivery co. "D.H.L." that is their specialty.so I am not used to people not shipping outside the U.S.
you are right about the patriotism part you wrote. I am taxpayer and registered voter here in the U.S. I do here a lot of comments about buy U.S. goods I do but im not a fanatic about it. I argue with the people that its a little too late to say that because now we have to work with what is done. I tell them that the biggest investers in the U.S. are from asia. A report came out " Reuters edition u.s. expert zone by dereck scissors march 2, 2011 " china invested about 2 triilion into the u.s. just them alone.so shipping coins will not make a difference.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4452 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2012  11:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It never hurts to ask,I've found that many sellers will ship to Canada for an extra buck or two.

Quote:
Some countries charge ludicrously high fees for importing even relatively cheap items into the country (Canada, for example).
Not true anymore,I haven't been charged any fees in years for items valued under $100,I receive at least 2 a week from the US.The volume crossing the border is so great that it's not efficient for the PO to process items under $100 to collect 5% plus a $5 fee.
Valued Member
United States
117 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2012  11:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheCoinGeezer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I won't ship outside the USA because PayPal requires proof of delivery, which is either impossible to get (usually) or cost prohibitive.
I will ship to Canada only if the buyer is willing to pay with a Canada Post international money order.
Valued Member
Canada
355 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2012  12:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add aiglet7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Over the years I have purchased many coins and banknotes from eBay sellers in the USA. Have always paid via Paypal. Never had to pay additional postage to guarantee delivery. Never had to pay duty on the items imported and always received items within a week - sometimes even sooner. If I really want to purchase items which the seller indicates are only for 'United States' buyers I will send an email and, usually, the problem is solved.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1727 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2012  1:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coincollect1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have just bought several things of the coin forum and they were all from US. It was a little more than shipping to Canada. But it wasn't a problem
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5604 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2012  2:31 pm  Show Profile Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
USPS Customs forms are a pain and you have to lie to them or taxes can be levied on sales. It is a hassle all the way around to ship out of the U.S.
ANA #R3154474
Valued Member
United States
463 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2012  2:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Frazzle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
what the CoinGeezer said!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5902 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2012  3:08 pm  Show Profile Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sap covered alot of the common issues.

...some people are just flat out lazy and don't want to wait in line at the post when they can print the postage paid label at home and have the post(wo)man pick it up their door.

I have not had any problems sending ("numismatic" listed on the customs form) items to our CCF members in Australia, Canada, Egypt and England. Sure it takes a while longer, but those experienced members expect that.

eBay...not so much activity going on. I tend not to bid on outside the CONUS, so I guess I am guilty as well.

oih82w8 = "Oh I Hate To Wait"

"I tell her coins keep me off the streets and out of the bars." Moe145

"WOO-SAA...WOo-SAa...Woo-Saa" (calm down)
Edited by oih82w8
03/25/2012 3:11 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.05 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05