Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 Canadian Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 Canadian Coin, Bank Note, and Paper Money Grading

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

prices for unlisted/in-between grades?

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
west- canuk
Valued Member
Canada
374 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2012  11:40 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add west- canuk to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Wasn't sure how to title this question , so here's the gist of it : a certified coin trends for $200 in VF 20 and $500 in EF 40 and $1000 in AU50. What should the VF30 and EF45 prices be , in the mid range or closer to the higher grade ? Thanks in advance.

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
8408 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2012  12:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you have a value for the various grades for a particular coin, plot those values on a graph, the mark your coin on that graph, between the grades.

In reality, you only need to know the value for the grades immediately above and below your own, and your coin should sit between those grades.

After a while you get good at it. I do it by interpolation between the grades mentally, and how close to the known points your coin is. Knowing that the value graphs are exponential in nature helps.
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
Canada
4041 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2012  01:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As a rule of thumb VF30 is about 1/3 of the way betwee VF20 and EF40,if VF20 is $200 and EF40 is $500 then VF30 would be about $300.Similarly if EF40 is $500 and AU50 is $1000,EF45 would be about $665.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
8408 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2012  02:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
DBM: You got it!
That is the mental system I use.
Gives the easiest approximation to the exponential curve.
Previously Ousted
Canada
398 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2012  10:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coingirl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
do not agree..
a 30 is exactly between the 40 and the 20.....50/50
or how about AU58?
Value: 50+60:2= 55 +60:2 = 58+-
i believe that is how most dealers look at it...
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3926 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2012  10:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add amida17 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think DBM and sel ar correct...pricing tends to follow an exponential curve not a straight line as coingirl suggests....
Stay brown and hail the Boognish.
Valued Member
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
Canada
276 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2012  2:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add motoryoda to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am with DBM and sel on this, but agree that it is subjective to the dealer you are talking to.
Signature? Hmm......let me think...
Valued Member
Canada
291 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2012  4:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tamarin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting thread! Here's my perspective: inbetween grades exist to fit those coins that are so darn close to the higher grade the differences are arguable but negligible. The inbetween grades exist to catch and coddle sliders. For instance, a VF-30 is far far closer to an EF-40 than it is to a VF-20. Pity that such associations have little effect on pricing. What I've found holds true is that usually an inbetween grade will garner 25% of the spread between two standard grades. I don't like it because I often sell but I have to accept it.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
4398 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2012  8:09 pm  Show Profile Check enworb's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add enworb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you want to do it accurately sel's advice with the graph is the best way to go. Otherwise I agree with the mental calculations of DBM and sel. As sel points out the relationship between grade and price is usually exponential so if the grade is in between it will not be a 50/50 split in price.
Edited by enworb
03/30/2012 8:10 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.08 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05