Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 US Classic Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

1869 2 Cent...cracked die?

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
smokeriderdon
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2982 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2012  12:18 am Show Profile Check smokeriderdon's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I came across this 1869 2 Centpiece in the collection I am selling on consignment. This is one I am keeping for myself.

I presume the line running pretty much through the date is a die crack. But whats up with the extra stuff on the bottom of the 8 and 6?

"Our lives are summed up by two dates separated by a dash mark. Make the most of that dash." Battalion Chief John "Mac Daddy" McDonald. R.I.P.

It is could've, would've or should've, not could of, would of or should of.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5926 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2012  12:40 am  Show Profile Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Repunched date for one thing...can you get a good, close-up macro shot of the date?
oih82w8 = "Oh I Hate To Wait"

"I tell her coins keep me off the streets and out of the bars." Moe145

"WOO-SAA...WOo-SAa...Woo-Saa" (calm down)
Edited by oih82w8
03/30/2012 12:42 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2982 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2012  12:51 am  Show Profile Check smokeriderdon's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The wife has a macro lens. I will get her take one tomorrow.
"Our lives are summed up by two dates separated by a dash mark. Make the most of that dash." Battalion Chief John "Mac Daddy" McDonald. R.I.P.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
4862 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2012  06:05 am  Show Profile Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...IC_ID=114683

Last few days worth of messages on the same die stamped coin! You scored a real winner there!
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982 • EAC Member #6202 • NBS Member • 2¢ variety collector.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8710 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2012  09:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
But whats up with the extra stuff on the bottom of the 8 and 6?

The die is chipping along the edge of the crack. This leaves a void which has been filled by metal from the planchet.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2982 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2012  2:09 pm  Show Profile Check smokeriderdon's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
west, I just read that thread. Thanks!:)

What the photo doesnt show is that tail of the nine is actually seperated from the rest of the number. I am going to try for better pics...

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2982 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2012  2:27 pm  Show Profile Check smokeriderdon's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Alright, so this is what I could manage.

Now, you can see the seperation on the nines tail where I arrowed it.

Also, those spots on the one. Doubling, more of the crack? The base really looks like doubling to me.

Oh, and exactly what would the variety attribution be? I saw a couple mentioned in the other thread.

Edited by smokeriderdon
03/30/2012 2:53 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
745 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2012  3:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Penny4Me to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice keeper! VG8 ?
WOW... 3 of these showup in past week!
What you pay?
Edited by Penny4Me
03/30/2012 3:49 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2982 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2012  3:23 pm  Show Profile Check smokeriderdon's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Penny, as I said, this is from a collection I am selling on consignment. I havent paid her yet, but once I figure a fair value, thats what she will get.

And yeah, high VG. The reverse is nicer IMO...

Pillar Of The Community
United States
745 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2012  3:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Penny4Me to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe even F12...
Value = min. $100 up to $200
see our other post, there is G6 price of $275,
But its WAY too high $$ Overpriced,
Should be under $100 for G6
You selling it or buying it ?
You have the best of 3 coins posted here!
Edited by Penny4Me
03/30/2012 11:13 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2982 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2012  4:10 pm  Show Profile Check smokeriderdon's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh believe me, this one is staying right here in my collection. I do have several other of the 2 cent pieces from her listed. None like this though.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
745 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2012  5:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Penny4Me to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Where are other of the 2 cent pieces from her listed. Here ccf or eBay?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2982 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2012  5:22 pm  Show Profile Check smokeriderdon's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the bay. You can go to my stuff from my profile here

Pillar Of The Community
United States
745 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2012  11:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Penny4Me to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have not seen a tail of 9 on others ... Like your 1869,
Could your 9 tail just be a nick/dent/ding where it could have got hit there?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4862 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2012  02:20 am  Show Profile Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Could your 9 tail just be a nick/dent/ding where it could have got hit there?

My thoughts too, this is from the same die as the other coins, so I think the broken 9 is a result of a hit at some time on the date, nothing more. Still a pretty valuable variety in the 2¢ series. This ine is worth easily $100+ so a great find.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982 • EAC Member #6202 • NBS Member • 2¢ variety collector.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3670 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2012  10:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Silverhawk74 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just inventoried one identical to that one in our case, an it is written cracked die on flip. we got it priced at like 35 bucks, real nice coin I may end up buying myself, as I am taking a real like to the 3 cent nickels, and the large cents, and we got some real nice ones....

Ours is 1864 civil war era....
Edited by Silverhawk74
03/31/2012 10:42 am
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05