Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 Australian Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 Australian Coins, Bank Notes, and Paper Money

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Is the Mint striking 2013 coins already?

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
MobOfRoos
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
609 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2012  05:55 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add MobOfRoos to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I was reading the Australian Coin Collecting blog

http://www.australian-threepence.com/blog/

In particular the Canberra Mint Factory Floor Tour 4th March. I was astonished to read this

Quote:
The proof room was next as we donned our white coats as they need to keep this area as clean and dust free as possible. Here we saw 2013 standard coins being struck and the next in the coloured pad printed Melbourne Zoo series, a green type of frog.

Is this just a typo? It is hard to comprehend that 2013 coins are being struck when we are yet to see many of the 2011 coins in circulation.

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
502 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2012  8:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FNQ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The context gives you the answer - they are in the "proof room", which based on the comments of what is found there, is where they produce collectibles rather than business strikes.

In all likelihood, those 2013 coins seen were being prepared to be packaged and sold as Uncirculated or Proof sets in the near future.

As for business strikes, the Mint is notorious for failing to update obverse dies in line with the calendar year (which almost makes me wonder why they bother putting a date on them at all if they hold accuracy or its importance with such disregard).

The last Annual Report only showed small quantities of coins being minted with 2011 dates by June, and was no doubt part of the reason why the intended Australia Day 2011 50c was canned.

In addition, after posting 2010 mintages on their website earlier this year, then removing them, suggests the possibility that at least one denomination has seen them still using 2010 dies.

Will we see actual 2012 coins in circulation this year? I say second half at the earliest, with the last quarter being the most likely.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
609 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2012  04:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MobOfRoos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks FNQ
That makes sense now that I look at it. I'm not sure why I missed it

The 2013 proof and mint sets will be released in only about 6 months so it makes sense that they would be busy producing those.
Valued Member
Australia
262 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2012  09:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nicwinner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
interesting info!
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
502 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2012  10:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FNQ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Doesn't rule out a typo, but that is highly likely based on their release schedule and timeframes involved in pre-production.

Could just as easily have been 2012 unc or proof sets based on how well they've been going, or even the long delayed baby proofs...
Formerly nancyc
Australia
3626 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2012  7:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Quote:The proof room was next as we donned our white coats as they need to keep this area as clean and dust free as possible. Here we saw 2013 standard coins being struck and the next in the coloured pad printed Melbourne Zoo series, a green type of frog.

Quote:
Is this just a typo? It is hard to comprehend that 2013 coins are being struck when we are yet to see many of the 2011 coins in circulation.

I did notice that at the time, but I wasn't going to query it, and now that you've raised the issue, what really stood out for me was the striking of 2013 standard coins in the Proof room. It didn't seem as though it would be right, but PPH was there so who am I to question the statement.

I'm sure PPH will be along soon to let us know the facts.
A friend is a present you give to yourself.

Nancy
Edited by Nevol
04/12/2012 12:34 am
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
502 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2012  10:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FNQ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Standard coins to me means the normal circulation design ones, as opposed to the usual plethora of NCLT such as the pad printed ones also mentioned.

Being in the proof room would mean that they would be QC strikes rather than business strikes on the standard production line, hence intended for packaging as Unc or Proof sets.

Clearly it is not just coins produced to a proof standard that are processed in the "proof" room - the other coin referred to is the pad printed Unc Corroboree, but no doubt the atmosphere controlled environment is important for preserving the quality of the Mints' commercial products during production.
Edited by FNQ
04/12/2012 01:04 am
Valued Member
Australia
334 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2012  08:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nealeffendi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mints often strike coins with dates for previous or future years. IIRC around decimalization (1966) they struck 1964 dated pennies (Melbourne mint) in June 1965 and had struck 1966 dated decimal coins as early as 1964.
They are running a risk doing this now as with the age of the Queen (86?) there is a possibility that she could die before 2013 and protocol is that no coins be issued with a date subsequent to the monarchs death be issued. A betting man might try and buy next years dated coins as they come available in case she dies and mint held stocks are melted (do that each year and eventually her number will be up and if very few coins were released then the values will sky-rocket overnight).
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
4398 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2012  08:53 am  Show Profile Check enworb's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add enworb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Neal fendi that is an interesting strategy. I like it! I think the old gal may have a bit more life in her though.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
508 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2012  07:02 am  Show Profile Check the-purple-penny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add the-purple-penny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Been on holiday, away for a week. Back now so sorry for the late clarification here, yes it is correct, no typo they were striking 2013 proof coins.
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
Australia
4839 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2012  07:12 am  Show Profile Check trout1105's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Been on holiday, away for a week. Back now so sorry for the late clarification here, yes it is correct, no typo they were striking 2013 proof coins.

If you know this can you tell us it the mint has made any 2012 circulating coins yet? and if so when are they to be released
Aim to Enjoy life. You only get one shot at it
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
609 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2012  07:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MobOfRoos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks pp

Quote:
Neal fendi that is an interesting strategy. I like it! I think the old gal may have a bit more life in her though.

Yes it would be a bit inconvenient for the Mint if the Queen were to pass on in November or December of a given year given that the following years Proof and Unc sets are already released.
But I think enworb is right. Her mum lived to be over 100 so QE2 could well do the same.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
508 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2012  07:30 am  Show Profile Check the-purple-penny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add the-purple-penny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I should have looked closer shouldn't I. Zoom in here, see if you can tell These were newly minted circ $1's, they were doing $2 and 20c also.
Edited by the-purple-penny
04/15/2012 07:31 am
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
Australia
4839 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2012  07:34 am  Show Profile Check trout1105's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I should have looked closer shouldn't I. Zoom in here, see if you can tell

That's not at the mint. That's dibbys noodling heap
Aim to Enjoy life. You only get one shot at it
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
502 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2012  07:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FNQ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
These were newly minted circ $1's, they were doing $2 and 20c also.
Do you remember what reverse was on the 20's? If it was a platypus, then we have our answer.
Formerly nancyc
Australia
3626 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2012  08:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks PP. Did you happen to notice if the $1's were MoR's?
A friend is a present you give to yourself.

Nancy
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05