Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 Australian Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 Australian Coins, Bank Notes, and Paper Money

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Evaluate this Crown (on behalf of tights24)

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
SsuperDdave
United States
16624 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2007  11:12 am Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

This thread is a post from tights24 which was moved from another thread into its' own.

While my pictures aren't as good as Superdave's, this is my first purchase from Oz. What do you guys think for a grade, and what is the value at such a grade. Hopefully I didn't take a beating on this one.....

The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, numismo - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
7123 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2007  11:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Metalman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi tights

Im far from an expert on the grades ,, but I see the coin as a EF/AU ,,Im concerned about the surfaces they show signs of abrasive cleaning, which on a US coin would hit the grade by at least two points and possibly three for value.

I will be interested to see what those more familiar with these coins have to say .

Metalman
United States
2235 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2007  2:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tights24 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Dave and Metalman.

MM, I was thinking the same thing, but I need to do two things first. Take better pictures, and get more thoughts from the world coin collectors as to value. I picked this up from my local dealer, and I'm sure that I can return it if it is not near the correct value. If it's within a couple of bucks of what I paid, then it's a "learning" coin for me. If it's worth half, I will be making a trip on Monday......
Confucius say "The man who asks a question is a fool for a minute, the man who does not ask is a fool for life."

Our members sell on eBay too!!
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1286 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2007  4:33 pm  Show Profile Check markn's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add markn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say EF, but the obverse looks like its been cleaned at some stage. AU$15-30 coin (on eBay at least).
Edited by markn
02/10/2007 4:35 pm
United States
2235 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2007  4:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tights24 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are a couple more with different lighting. Not sure if it makes a difference. I just think this coin is definitely in AU, but I may just be hoping for too much.

Well, in looking at the preview, I don't know that these pics are any better. Regardless, thanks for the posts and comments.

Confucius say "The man who asks a question is a fool for a minute, the man who does not ask is a fool for life."

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1286 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2007  4:59 pm  Show Profile Check markn's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add markn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those photos are defintely more flattering. AU may be correct. May get a coin like that for AU$35-40 on eBay. I have a slider AU/UNC crown around here that I paid $25 for. I'll put up some photos a bit later.
United States
2235 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2007  5:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tights24 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks mark. I still can't tell if it was cleaned, and the only difference in these photos was lighting. I did no adjusting in photoshop, especially since I can't even figure out how to yet. The latter pics are with outside natural lighting. I paid $30 US for this coin, so if I lost $10 or $15, I'll be a little miffed, but not too much. If this turns out to be a $5 coin, I think I would have to have a talk with my dealer...

That being said, he has never been "bad" to me yet, so I guess I'll just take my lumps.

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1286 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2007  5:23 pm  Show Profile Check markn's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add markn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well it isn't a $5 coin. Worst case is it is a $15 coin imho. At $30 if it's AU and uncleaned I'd say you did pretty well.
Edited by markn
02/10/2007 6:04 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1286 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2007  5:45 pm  Show Profile Check markn's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add markn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK, here's mine, its a lot whiter than the photo but I'm holding a baby atm so it tough adjusting colors!. I'd say this is an AU too.

Australia
11065 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2007  02:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, tights, but I couldn't net grade yours much above gVF; EF tops. There are too many serious knocks on the obverse: cheek, hair, around the lettering in D:G: BR and the N in OMN, and in the field in front of the nose. The reverse seems curiously free of such marks - it might have been dropped on the road or something. Split grade it: gVF/gEF.

Local CV for EF condition is AU$50, down to AU$25 for VF, up to AU$100 for aUnc. The catalogue may be a tad optimistic on this one.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1286 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2007  04:05 am  Show Profile Check markn's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add markn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Heh. Maybe I should revise mine down too. I'll stick with my original grading of EF, I think VF is way too tough. These big coins are notorious for picking up bag marks and hits from the other crowns as they were being minted.
Edited by markn
02/11/2007 04:26 am
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1360 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2007  07:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Snooba to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I couldn't grade this coin as aUnc. There are too many dings and knocks on the obverse. His ear, nose and cheek, as well as in the G:BR:OMH, are all quite dented. It also has some carbon spots on the rim of the reverse that detract from its overall appearance. I would grade it EF, but I'm unsure if the obverse has been cleaned.
United States
2235 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2007  09:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tights24 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks folks. I am certainly not expecting any leniency on grade just because I am wishing for it...lolol Unfortunately, I agree with the grading everyone has provided, and I really don't see it anywhere close to AU. I do see it as EF though. Ah well, you buy and you learn. Even with a little magnification it looked pretty good, but these pictures really show detail for not being a "coin" camera.

I think I will carry my camera and laptop with me from now on and take and "develop" pictures prior to buying.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05