Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 US Modern Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

My new CoinWeek piece: Army Half Dollar 2011 Reconsidered...

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
cc99999
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1289 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2012  09:01 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add cc99999 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

http://www.coinweek.com/news/specia...econsidered/

I turn my attention to the seemingly popular 2011 Army half dollar and wonder why the coin is selling so well now when it barely attracted collectors' interest late into last year. Could the coin media "experts" be to bleme? And just how many years of war coins does Congress need to make? We get it, Congress, you like war.

Let me know what you think!

Charles

Follow the Ike Group on facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/T...794568128572
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1072 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2012  09:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stewart to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Charles,

Nicely put together article.

It reminds me of the situation with the Lincoln Log Cabin Cents and the
ensuing insanity in the days immediately following their release. As far as the price versus actual availability

Terry

Edited for clarity
Edited by stewart
05/07/2012 10:06 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1070 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2012  10:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add allranger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The article states: "it is in fact a missile, soaring off into the sky, set to level some remote target."

I thought that the missile was launching a satellite, based off the whole "Service in Peace" thing. I could be wrong here as I know little of what type of missile it really is.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1289 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2012  10:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cc99999 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like an ICBM. Military Satellites aren't peaceful by nature.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2194 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2012  4:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bpoc1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
cc,
Quote:
just how many years of war coins does Congress need to make?

IMHO Congress can Honor all our Men and Women who have served.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2982 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2012  6:41 pm  Show Profile Check smokeriderdon's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would have liked something more about coin collecting instead of a thinly veiled left wing hit piece against the military. You ask my opinion, my opinion is that it was drivel.
"Our lives are summed up by two dates separated by a dash mark. Make the most of that dash." Battalion Chief John "Mac Daddy" McDonald. R.I.P.

It is could've, would've or should've, not could of, would of or should of.
Valued Member
United States
151 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2012  6:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add VACookey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, I feel like I'm reading Media Matters or the Daily Kos.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4128 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2012  6:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add amida17 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Regardless of politcal ideologies this statement should not be ignored...

Quote:
If you weren't in a hurry to buy this coin when it was cheap, why do you want it now that it costs 400% more?

Seems humans sometimes only want things when someone tells them they do.....
Stay brown and hail the Boognish.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2982 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2012  7:43 pm  Show Profile Check smokeriderdon's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Amida, for that particular issue, which IS actually relevant. Seems that possibly not a lot of people were aware of the Army coin, perhaps over shadowed by the Medal of Valor coin, and have grown aware at this later date. I know I have wanted one, just have never got around to getting it. I guess I will just be one of those idiots who pays a premium. *shrugs*
"Our lives are summed up by two dates separated by a dash mark. Make the most of that dash." Battalion Chief John "Mac Daddy" McDonald. R.I.P.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1289 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2012  8:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cc99999 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't say that I'm all that surprised by some of the comments, but thankfully I am more than confident in my ability to defend my position.

If you read the article as a criticism of the military, you read too much into it. I did not feel that it was necessary to state my own wartime veteran experience as a member of the Army MI community during 9/11 and the run-up to Iraq.

@bpoc1- I showed the number of coins sold for these military themes and the volume of them over the past few years not to question the worthiness of supporting the military- but to show that the public has kind of grown tired of buying these coins year after year. I also think that it is a sad statement that our Congress thinks that so few other aspects of American life are worthy of commemoration that we get military coins year after year. What does that say about Congress?

@smokediron- you are too polarized in your politics if you cannot look at these statements: "The Army hasn't enjoyed a peacetime posture in over ten years. This is just one of the many curious aspects of this ill-conceived design."

and

"The coin is cluttered with inscriptions, and the date (especially on the business strike version) is buried in the churning clouds of exhaust created by a launching missile. At first glance it resembles the Washington Monument- but it is in fact a missile, soaring off into the sky, set to level some remote target.... hardly an image that corresponds with the words "Service in Peace"

and not find something truthful.

A minuteman missile, which is what I assume the missile is- is a WMD. In the hands of another country- we'd hardly call it a peaceful device. Furthermore, as someone who spent the better part of my 20s in the military and still have friends who are career soldiers and marines- I'd rather they come home and be with the spouses and children they left behind.

Also, in the midst of a decade long war- what is being implied by Service in Peace? It's Orwellian.

having said all of that- what I am really getting at is how collectors have to be on their guard- that coins become much more desirable when someone is telling you that they are scarce- the Army half is a manufactured "key" coin for the modern commemorative series. The attempts to describe the coin and its place relative to other coins was, perhaps, a less than successful attempt to explain why nobody bought it in the first place- nobody but dealers, it seems...

Next week I'll write about a much less confrontational topic.

I do appreciate everyone comments, however, even if I disagree with the conclusions.

Thanks guys!

Charles

Edited by cc99999
05/07/2012 8:05 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8998 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2012  8:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just as a general comment I for one would love to see some more war coins. Im from a military family and appreciate what the coins represent and love the history of them. I would love to see some WW1 coins or even a series commemorating the major battles of WW2 or other wars. Keep them coming congress lol
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2982 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2012  8:52 pm  Show Profile Check smokeriderdon's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just as Orwellian as Ensure. Pfffttttt

Valued Member
United States
76 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2012  9:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RealMetal to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great idea, basebal! How about coins depicting those people, groups, and/or corporations who profit from war? We can refer to the coins as the "War Profiteers" series! How about it, congress? Dick Cheney and Halliburten can have their own coin, too!
Valued Member
United States
151 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2012  9:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add VACookey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So now we're talking about Dick Cheney. I thought this was a coin site?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2576 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2012  10:52 pm  Show Profile Check Earle42's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well I certainly am more enthusiastic about the coin having a missile on it than a waste of a design like the 10th anniversary of 9/11 coin! This coin was a slap in the face to all those who died at the hand of the terrorists.
All we got was a pacifistic design which had no relationship to the horror of the lives that were lost. If people do not have a reminder of the horrors of war, history proves the horror comes back to haunt.

In a thread I took a pic of Pearl Harbor commemoratives and they all featured some sort of war scene. The 9/11 coin was a pacifist piece of junk catering to political correctness. There should have been a flaming twin towers and the words "Never Forget" as in the spirit of the Pearl Harbor coins.

We have become too politically (IN)correct. The world, and our own people, need reminding that our freedoms are not free - and never have been. We need to put out a message that Americans will fight to the death with superior weapons to keep ourselves free. I'm all for the missile on the coin and know it fits in great with the theme. History has proven over and over that, unfortunately, there will always be those war mongers who want no peace and the elimination of these rats by force is the only thing that keeps the peace. THIS is how our Army serves in peace - by making sure anti-Americans know they will have trouble (if the leaders of our country are American enough) if they try to take our freedoms.

Personally I would like to see more coins made with designs that call a spade a spade.
Visualize Whirled Peas
- Doctors with patience will lose money letting loose their patients.
- They're over there with their car.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8998 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2012  11:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Great idea, basebal! How about coins depicting those people, groups, and/or corporations who profit from war? We can refer to the coins as the "War Profiteers" series! How about it, congress? Dick Cheney and Halliburten can have their own coin, too!

I didnt even want to bring politics into this at all other than to mention the sacrifice made by the men and women in uniform and the significant historical events the coins represent.

But it sure sounds like you would prefer the Osama Bin Laden or Al-Quiada series instead
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05