Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1974 Quarter

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2012  5:49 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add chrisnew to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I have a 1974 quarter that I had found a couple years ago...I keep it in a little plastic case hoping that it was a great find, for it's in really good shape for the year and finding it in some loose change...
By the eye it is all silver in color even the edges, on the back it is missing right foot(left when looking at it)the four leaves at under the feet look like only two, the I in United is missing by looking at it with the eye...The 2nd you in Pluribus looks to have a curves line following under it, and the b looks almost a R with the curved line as well, part of the M is missing in UNUM...On the front the IN is connected and in GOD the D looks to be double...The quarter was struck and bent from the middle on the back if you run your finger over it the back you can feel it dip in...When laid on a table there is a major rise on two spots of the quarter...The quarter is starting to tarnish yellow, which I know silver does at first...I know a 1974 quarter should have a copper half to it but this one doesn't....Not saying it's silver, but this is a strange quarter....I scanned some pictures of it and also HD recorded the quarter so all can see the edges and the gaps...The scans don't do really any justice for the tarnish makes it look rough but honestly it's not it may have a small scratch here and there on it...
Can you all please tell me what you all think? If need to rescan please let me know....But the pictures are to large for this sit added to another site same as the video...

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***

Back https://www.blockhuggers.com/en/new...quarter-back
Front https://www.blockhuggers.com/en/new...uarter-front
Video https://www.blockhuggers.com/en/new...1974-quarter

Thank you all for your time the pictures really don't do justice for this quarter but in the video shows it is in good shape...

Pillar of the Community
United States
2150 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2012  7:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jokingjoker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have you weighed it?
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2012  8:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chrisnew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't placed it on the scale yet I will go tomorrow to weigh it...I know there shouldn't be a 1974 silver quarter but it's non-mint mark tells me it comes from Philly which most errors come from...Would be nice if Philly mint messed up in 1974 and caught their error but a few got through that would make it a great find...But I also thought maybe it could be a quarter from a proof set but the bends in it tell me that couldn't be cause proof sets are really looked over...But I am lost on the tarnishing for a normal quarters that I have ever seen isn't tarnished....I will post the weight tomorrow...I am also going to call the mint tomorrow to see if they will say if they had a error in 1974 on quarters...I would go to the mint but last time I went to the mint when the error dollars coins was going around they threaten to lock me up if I had one, but I didn't have one, I was just visiting, looking at the money...All have a good night....
Pillar of the Community
United States
2150 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2012  9:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jokingjoker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't rely on the mint for error information. It's not a proof if it has no mintmark and is dated '74. Weighing it will give you a good idea on how to proceed.
Edited by jokingjoker
06/05/2012 9:35 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2150 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2012  9:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jokingjoker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you could take some pics in macro mode with a digital camera of the obverse, reverse and the edge of the coin and post it on here we can probably help. The pic you had linked to is huge!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2150 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2012  9:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jokingjoker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does is ring like silver or a regular quarter when dropped on a table?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2012  09:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty interesting find. Weighing it is the main solution to finding out what it is made of.

A clad one will weigh 5.67 g and a silver one 6.25 g. Give or take a few hundredths of a gram.
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2012  11:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chrisnew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay after going to have it weighed the weight of the quarter is 5.75 grams, so we can rule out that it's a pure silver quarter, but after doing some checking the 1975 silver clad bicentennial quarter weighs the same weight, don't know if this helps anybody, but the 1974 quarter shouldn't be silver clad right? And could it be a late 1974 quarter that was struck on the 1975 role by accident? And if so does it make it a good find? Normally if the mint strikes on the wrong roll they will not release what they struck right? I am just brain storming right now, cause this quarter doesn't look right, it has 1 or 2 hair line scratches on it other then that it looks like it was just minted besides the fact that it's starting to tarnish...I don't know if that adds appeal to the coin, but I know better to clean it and I know better then to drop it...And would the missing foot and the fact that it's bowed in the back middle to the point if I tried it will hold water(haven't tried but by feel alone you can feel it dip in but the front isn't bowed out...I'll redo the pictures smaller and upload them here...Any other way I still like the quarter...
And thanks all for your help....
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1766 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2012  3:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pyrbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Weight of 5.75 grams sounds like a plated quarter whick explains why you can't see copper on the sides.
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2012  07:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chrisnew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The term plated for coins I don't understand, I fear that word for plated as I know means redone "Billy bought a plated car yesterday"
Or are you using it meaning clad...clad, clad·ding, clads
1. To sheathe or cover (a metal) with a metal.
2. To cover with a protective or insulating layer of other material.

For I did find another piece of info about the 1974 quarter yesterday

Fearful of creating low-mintage pieces which might be hoarded as the cent recently had been, thus creating a shortage of quarters, in December 1974 the Mint obtained congressional approval to continue striking 1974-dated quarters, half dollars and dollars until Bicentennial coinage began. Accordingly, there are no 1975-dated quarters.

Which means the 1974 quarter was also being made in 1975 as well, but being stamped as 1974...Which increases the chance of it being mistakenly stamped on the 1975 bi role...I know Phila mint didn't produce the 1975 bi silver clad proof quarter (5.75g) but being that Phila mint is the main USA mint, who is to say they didn't run a test run of the bi's and trashed them and the 1975 bi roll was mistakenly used to do the 1974? I will re-upload the pictures today I was trying to find my cameras batteries yesterday(I had used my HD camcorder for the first video and a scanner for the pictures)...And I will be going down to the mint today and take the tour to see if any 1975 bi was tested there...It should be easy to find out for they would have pictures if they did...

But thank you all for the help, we will get to the bottom of this one, if any thing I am 100% smarter now on the history of coins
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1766 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2012  09:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pyrbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe the next best step is to contact Mike Diamiond and see if he would be interested in looking at it. I would trust his opinion over the TPG's.
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2012  05:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chrisnew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I redone some pictures and used the image optimizer(which I love thanks) for this site to get them under 100kb...I will contact Mr Mike Diamiond to see what he thinks...I went to the mint yesterday to do some research and it's closed until July 3rd for renovations, I need to also know if this coin is dd as well if you look at the trust on the front why is that like that and would that explain the fatter letters?
Tried re-adding the pictures here it wouldn't allow me, I didn't know I had 24 hours to edit main post....Sorry the pictures are off site again...
https://www.blockhuggers.com/en/usa-money-errors

Pillar of the Community
United States
1129 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2012  6:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Judging from the photos and description, this quarter was plated-over (or at least the edge was) outside the Mint. Afterward, it became discolored.
Error coin writer and researcher.
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2012  6:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chrisnew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Mr Diamond that's all I need to know I was asked to get you option, I have it now I didn't know if it could of been that type 2 clad that I found at PCGS today, And after reading about it there I see why one would want to make fakes valued at up to 600.00 dollars, I wasn't trying to force one to say it was real I was just trying to make sure for I know nothing in the coin world...
Thank you all but I am 100% more smarter now when it comes to at least the quarter, and from now on I will look at my change closer before I give it away...
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2012  7:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chrisnew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And I will be taking it to the mint tomorrow to give it to them to help the stop of counterfeit coins for you all, one less fake means a better world for you all...
Thanks everybody for their help....
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2012  05:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chrisnew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Over the weekend I had made a appointment to C E Bullowa - Coin Hunter(who is mentioned in PCGS books) here in Philadelphia, they contacted me back on Monday right before I was heading out the door to take the coin to the mint and gave me a appointment for yesterday...I took the quarter in question to them yesterday and after looking at the coin weighing it(5.75g) scoping it measuring it by a couple different people that work for them, one of them I swear had to be 90 years old, told me that the coin is a true US mint coin with no signs of it being plated, dipped, chromed, and no signs of post mint anything done to the coin, and that there is errors on it, one of the errors that could be is the fact that when it was stuck on the back side it bent the coin from the feet to the the edges, but the only place or people that can call that a true error coin would be PCGS or NGC and only them. They told me if I send it to PCGS it should come back as MS-65 or MS-66...

They also told me I need to sent it out to have it graded, but honestly no need to I am not looking to sell, my post was never intended to find the value that one places on something, I just wanted to see what it was...And believe it or not my family has a huge old money collection of blue and red seals from the turn of the 1900's, and hundreds of silvers half from the same time period that my father will pass to me when he dies, and I know they are real for the bank yelled at me when I was 10 for taking a blue seal 20.00 in just to get 2 rolls of quarters to play video games, I just wanted something unique to add to the collection so I can pass it to my son when I die...

But all in all they placed the quarter in one of their soft plastic coin holders yelled at me for the one I had it in hard plastic with the coin able to move and told me not to touch it again and if I do only on the edges...Everybody have a good day...
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.11 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05