Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Numismatic Discussion Forums (Non Country Specific)
 Supplies, Books, Reference, Software, etc

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

coin inventory software?

Previous Page | Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
965 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2007  1:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Topher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
^ you can, but it makes the files REALLY large. :(
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1436 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2007  2:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shatsi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In excel it takes many rows and after many pics the presentation is not very nice.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
651 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2007  4:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ken_3567 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excel does have database functionality with forms capability that can do what you want but this poses two problems:

1. Modifying the file (to add or delete fields, not records) is no longer a simple task and simplicity/accessibility is why most people use excel
2. The value of your time - or - the amount of time learning how to do this and then creating it

Personally I love excel and use it for everything but if someone would rather buy a packaged solution that doesn't waste what they view as "their valuable time" then why not? As a back up you could export the info to a spreadsheet once a month so you can carry it with you on disk, CD, or stick wherever you go.

Shatsi - Whatever solution you go with just make sure it has the ability to both import and export spreadsheets.
Edited by Ken_3567
06/27/2007 4:38 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1436 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2007  4:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shatsi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Ken. I use Excel for lot of things but never used its database functionality or never used it where images are concerned. I don't mind learning it if I know where to look into.

By the way, that's a nice avatar. Which coin is that?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
651 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2007  4:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ken_3567 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for noticing my new avatar its only a couple days old. It is a 2 Lire 1916 Italian coin. I don't have one yet but I saw one a couple weeks ago and loved the design.

In regards to excel, I lost the link but it's somewhere on about.com for creating a database with forms.
Valued Member
United States
250 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2007  7:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lonnie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use a simple program called Numismatic Notebook. It is shareware and the registration fee is $4.95. Allows type, date, grade, quantity, cost, and value as well as obverse and reverse pictures. It also has an area for comments. It comes from Sandy Knoll software.

I've been using for about 2 months and like it just fine.

Have a great day everyone!!

Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2007  6:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dglavin96 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've tried a few different softwares and found that none of them equaled the free "My Collection" feature on the Heritage website. It is easy to enter coins and upload photos and you have a wealth of price information at your fingertips. The price information for each coin and the total value of your collection are updated each time you log in.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2007  8:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tkhiker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This forum has been great for a newbie! Thanks to everyone for sharing your learnings. I'm making an inventory of my Dad's collection using a spreadsheet so that it may be shared with my siblings. As I continue with my share of the collection, do any of the "professional" programs allow you to import a spreadsheet or a database? I'd prefer something that will run on linux, but I can tolerate the Windows environment.

tkhiker
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
2235 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2007  06:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tights24 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmm, not sure tkhiker. I actually haven't looked to see if Coin Manage does or not, which is what I use. I can check when I get home tonight though.

In general, if you don't mind the cost, and want a quick, organized, and nice looking collecting software, I would highly recommend Coin Manage. It's ease of use is astounding, and there's more fields to enter information than you would ever need. Updates are free, as I just did mine not too long ago, and it's starting to include more and more world coins.

Bobby, the forum dad used to have a link to Liberty Street Software somewhere. I'll see if I can find it if you're interested.

Oh, and I forgot my manners, welcome to the forum!
Confucius say "The man who asks a question is a fool for a minute, the man who does not ask is a fool for life."

Our members sell on eBay too!!
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
641 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2007  03:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Yass to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love spreadsheets. I use them all the time. With regard to having a photograph of the coin, there are two options.

First, You simply create a folder for your coins. You can create one for (say) the country, and within that folder creat folders for (say) the years, denominations, et al. You catalogue your photographs within those folders. Now within the spreadheet, you simply 'Insert' a hyperlink. Point it at the appropriate file within the appropriate directory. You can name your hyperlink whatever you like. You can insert multiple hyperlinks on the "row" or you can simply point at the folder if you want to.

Second, You can Define a 'named' cell(say 'home') where you currently are and a named cell (say 'over there') a number of rows down and columns across, i.e., off the screen. You paste your picture 'over there' and then Insert two hyperlinks, one to take you 'over there' and one to take you 'home'. Its not as elegant as the first option and requires firm naming conventions, but its an option where the photo is actually within the spreadsheet. Alternatively 'over there' can also be on another sheet within the workbook.

For consideration.
Edited by Yass
11/02/2007 04:20 am
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
641 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2007  04:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Yass to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another option is to have your photgraphs stored in photobucket, your homepage or in the CC gallery. You then have a hyperlink pointing to where you stored the photograph. This option has your spreadsheet and photographs in two locations.

You can also consider having a hyperlink point to information on the Internet. Perhaps there is something in (say) Wikipedea that relates to your coin.
Valued Member
United States
136 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2007  10:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dahoov2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all, this will sound bizarre, but I think one of the best things to do for your collection is make a website. You don't have to publicize it but I think it kind of does a few things for the collector.
1) if you have a fire, you have a record of your entire collection out in cyberspace, so even if you're computer melted along with your collection, you have some proof of exactly what you have at the insurance company's fingers...
2) it's a nice thing to share with another collector or collectors - all available to see
3) you can add extra stuff on there like wishlist pages, info pages, pages you continually use yourself as reference, stuff like that.

I may just add a section on my website and upload it but not link it. I don't want people to view everything I own, but I will have a URL just for me... I see I can't get something that fits my needs exactly in the way of software, so I'm now thinking to design my own record that way.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2007  09:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tkhiker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tights, thanks for the warm welcome!

Ken, thanks for the spreadsheet template from a Nutmeg State expatriate!

Once I log the inventory I've inherited I plan to create a database from the spreadsheets, with links to a private album on my website photogallery (Coppermine Photogallery, http://coppermine-gallery.net/) for photos or scanned images. Has anyone tried something like this?

Pillar Of The Community
United States
651 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2007  4:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ken_3567 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
tkhiker,

Welcome to the forums! Hopefully you'll stick around for awhile there are some real educational threads floating around here besides it's always nice to know someone else familiar with where you live.

Your database sounds like a great idea and an http link is probably much more stable than on your HD as you don't have to worry about hard drive crashes and back-ups will work on any machine.

I must apologize as I just discovered the link I put in an earlier post no longer worked but I have updated it.

Again welcome aboard!
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
965 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2007  5:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Topher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ken, I completely overlooked your link on page two. Thanks for that.
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05