Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1996 $2 Toonie - Ridge of Mountain and Waterfall on Reverse?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
254 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2013  08:45 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Paisa to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Image 1 - Showing Close-up of condition (Please note contrast in this close-up modified to better show the condition at the base of "O")

Image 2 - Showing both faces (Condition in Image 1 corresponds to the area in ellipse. Area corresponding to diamond is in another post.

Am I correct to say that there is some mortar set type of condition at the base of "O"?

But what is the ridge like formation? It seem that a bunch of metal is collecting in that area. How does this condition happen?

Any help in understanding this condition would be most appreciated.

Thank you

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1374 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2013  1:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pennyman007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nice find, don't know how it happens, but is it the light because the front legs of the bear look DD
Valued Member
Canada
254 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2013  2:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Paisa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello pennyman007

No there is no doubling. It is just the light.

Valued Member
Canada
254 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2013  2:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Paisa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Again I am not sure what to make of not getting any reply? Perhaps no interest? Maybe insignificant?

However digging further I ran into the following (at the bottom of the page in the link below):

http://coinscan.com/err/mont.html

the above is at Patrick Glasford's website and showing the condition as tool damage.

The only thing is that the condition I have is only on one side so it cannot be both dies clashing against the tool.

There is also some die deterioration on the "O".

So I am lead to believe that the whole thing could be some sort of deterioration with a die developing a large and deep uneven crack. Does that sound plasuible?
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05