Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Numismatic Discussion Forums (Non Country Specific)
 Third Party Coin Grading (TPG)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Opening a Tomb

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
BadThad
Pillar Of The Community
United States
11128 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2007  5:58 pm Show Profile Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I bought this graded Lincoln.

Image: 1952LincolnProof.jpg
51.51 KB

It's a LOT nicer than the pictures indicate. But that's not the point..... I'm going to remove it from this NNC slab. What's the best way to attack this thing? I have a rotary tool, but is best to go along the edge seem or just hack it right up the gut? I'm guessing a cutting wheel will do the job.

Thanks for any advice.

***Edited by Forum Dad to move to TPG forum***

Lincoln Cent Lover!
VERDI-CARE™ All Metal Conservation Fluid
http://www.verdichem.com
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1231 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2007  6:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add onejinx to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just cutting the edges should do. If not you can always use a sledge hammer.....hahahahahaa
Pillar Of The Community
United States
11128 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2007  6:16 pm  Show Profile Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Should I cut from the face or from the sides? I see a seam along the edge, cut right into the seam or on top of it?
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1984 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2007  6:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add halfabustisbetter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I try to do the seams, attempting to reverse the sealing process, but I'm not always successful, so I have to plier around a bit sometimes.

Wish I could be more helpful.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1231 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2007  6:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add onejinx to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you're gonna use a rotary tool you should be able to cut along the outer edges (sides). I would cut right into the seam
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1267 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2007  6:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bonedigger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use ViseGrip pliers... Wrap in towel, grab with pliers and gently twist until the seal breaks. Good luck and be sure to do over a soft surface just in case.

Take Care
Ben
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2007  6:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use a rotary tool and go around the outside edge where the two pieces fit together (where they are sealed at) and then just stick a screwdriver in after that and pop the parts that got melted together with the cutting wheel and it comes apart in two pieces and the coin isn't damaged at all, just be careful when taking them apart that the coin doesn't fall on the floor or something hard
Edited by Bryan1315
10/24/2007 6:34 pm
United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2007  6:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also have a pair of these when I don't want to smell up the house

Image Insert:

Pillar Of The Community
United States
12525 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2007  11:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Many methods. A Butane torch will absolutely open that thing. Of course the fumes will burn your nostrils. Large M-80 Firecrackers also work. Then there are sledge hammers, dropping from tall buildings, etc.
Of course I've always used a sabre saw. Not with a metal cutting blade, teeth to close and a rough wood cutter blade will shatter the plastic. If you use a dremel type tool, it should be a variable speed type. Note the plastic will melt back together if using a very fast moving blade or one with numerous teeth. A little heat build up will do that. With a variable speed sabre saw and a slightly larger spaced teeth on the blade, I just cut off all four edges, held in a vise of course. Now you can also keep the tag that way, if you want
it.
just carl
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1827 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2007  3:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add snowman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've cracked about a dozen NGC slabs. I use my rotary tool on a low speed setting to cut just a small opening in the seam. Then insert a screwdriver and twist. When I'm lucky, the whole thing pops open. If it is sealed really well I sometimes have to run the screwdriver around the entire edge of the slab. It's easy and takes under a minute.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
11128 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2007  10:19 pm  Show Profile Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I took a dremel on low speed with a cut-off wheel and went around the edge seem using the full depth of the wheel. It basically melted the plastic and I took it apart with my fingers. It made quite a mess! LOL My daughter was sitting at a table about 10 ft away and said "Dad! Stop that, you're hitting me with plastic!" LOL She looked at the slab before I started and told me how nice it was. She was shocked I was going to cut it out of there. "Why are you doing that Dad?", I said "Because this grading service sucks". HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2443 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2007  10:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Amazon99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They actually seal those slabs? I figured that they scotch tape or bubble gum to seal them shut.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1618 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2007  10:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like you had a blast!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
943 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2007  01:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nelrak to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I always found a small hammer does the trick
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2007  07:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add morganman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Like most have said, dremel around the seam about 1/8" deep, then pop it open with a screwdriver.

ALWAYS pop it open over a cloth towel so if the coin happens to pop out, it has a soft landing....

MM
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1711 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2007  01:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parklane64 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Take it out to the curb and place it against the curb in such a way as to make the slab the hypotenuse of a right angle triangle. Make sure you have good firm waffle stompers on. Stomp that sucker like a waffle. Repeat as necessary.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05