Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Cracking Coins Out Of Slabs

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic   
Pillar of the Community
United States
714 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2007  04:12 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add yechi7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I know this has been discussed before, so please forgive me.

What's the easiest & best way to break a coin out of a slab? People mention dremels. What's a dremel & how does it work? Is there an easier way?

*** Edited by Forum Dad to move to TPG forum. ***

Valued Member
United States
402 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2007  04:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 50cents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like to use end cutting pliers. I open the slab by cutting around the edges. This is best done outside and be sure to wear safety glasses.

http://www.findingking.com/storefro...8&i=58098586

Edited by 50cents
11/05/2007 04:59 am
Learn More...
United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2007  05:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have used those pliers and a dremel and both work fine

United States
3242 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2007  09:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add amac44 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bryan is right!!
Pillar of the Community
United States
943 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2007  10:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nelrak to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just place them on the garage floor on their side and tap them hard enough with a small hammer unitl I notice the slab has cracked enough so I can simply pull it apart.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1436 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2007  10:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shatsi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Something similar to Nelrak.
Valued Member
United States
112 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2007  11:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bottleguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I squeeze them in a shop vise, first widthwise and then lengthwise until they pop right open. Works like a charm every time!

Rick

Edited by Bottleguy
11/05/2007 11:36 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
714 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2007  12:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add yechi7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the advice & suggestions.

What's a dremel & how does it work?
Valued Member
United States
330 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2007  12:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add justjimrob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A Dremel is a handheld (or there is a mount for them) rotary tool. It can be used for sanding, polishing, etc. but in this case cutting. Lowes, Home Depot, Sears, WalMart and others will sell them.

Jim
Pillar of the Community
United States
714 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2007  12:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add yechi7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Re: end cutting pliers & dremels.

About how long does it take to cut open a slab with end cutting pliers?

About how long does it take to cut open a slab with a dremel?
  Previous Topic Topic   
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.86 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05