Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 Canadian Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 Canadian Variety and Error Coins, Bank Notes, Paper Money

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Canadian large cent errors - 1859 and 1896

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Numismat
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1191 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2008  6:45 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Numismat to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Here are two interesting pieces, the 1896 I've already sold and the 1859 will be sold in about 5 days.

Both have interesting errors in the wreath.

The 1896 has an extra feature on the left side that appears to connect 3 leaves.

The 1859 has missing segments in the in and some "floating leaves" due to missing stems.

Has anyone come across similar errors?

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
580 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2008  01:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MrCanada to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow more varieties of the 1859 , I have 5 already, the missing vine is very distinct . I will have to look through my extra 59s and take a closer look.
Thanks
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1191 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2008  01:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Numismat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I purchased it, the dealer actually had two with the same exact errors (same die I guess). The other was a scratched up VF details, so I didn't even bother considering the asking price was $25.
Which varieties do you have?
A double punched 5 by any chance?
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
5318 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2008  02:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KurtS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1896 looks like a die crack...nice!

I'm unsure on the 1859 Any ideas?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1384 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2008  08:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wwhitman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got to think that these were normal in the course of things. I have an 1858 with a similar die crack and it also has the missing vines.
Pics are not that good, I will try to get better ones.
You can see the crack on the 'C' in VICTORIA.

On this you can see the missing vines

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1191 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2008  1:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Numismat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting... that rules out the single die theory. What do you think is the cause? Grease fill?
Pillar Of The Community
5318 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2008  2:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KurtS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, very interesting to see that 1858 cent!
Comparing the 1858 to 1859, do I see breaks in the vines at similar places, or even some further erosion for 1859?
So it might not be an individual die that's filled with dirt, but it could be the same damaged hub used to make reverse dies for both years. The vines strike me as a feature easily prone to damage as the hub is pressed against a softer steel blank in die making. But I'm usually checking the date on 1859 cents, and not the vines--is this common?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1191 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2008  3:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Numismat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The one I posted was the first I have ever come across (the dealer I purchased it from actually had 2 of them in different conditions).
The only other non-listed varieties for 1859 I've seen is a double punched 5 with a normal 9 and a doubled T in CENT.
If anyone out there has a few dozen or more 1859's... they might be able to answer the rarity question.
Pillar Of The Community
5318 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2008  3:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KurtS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have not read about the double punched 5. It would be cool to see a pic, my books don't show that one either.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1191 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2008  5:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Numismat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found one of my old pics of that date. I had e-mailed someone from allexperts, who then forwarded me to an old website that mentions the double punched 5 variety, but there were not any pics.

The 5 is an interesting double punch that shows on the right and left sides of the numeral, as well as at the top.

Pillar Of The Community
5318 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2008  8:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KurtS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a nice repunch! I think I see some doubling on the upper loop of the 9 as well.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1191 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2008  9:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Numismat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yea there is that slight trace in the 9. Didn't think much of it though. That particular coin was a VF, maybe gVF and sold for $28. The one with missing segments went for $61. Not bad in my opinion. =)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1191 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2008  9:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Numismat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey, just got another 1859, and wouldn't you know it... the same errors! If it's fairly common, then why is there no mention of it in any major publication?

This one also looks to be from a particularly worn die, and you can see little die cracks and extra "blobs" and features all over it.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1384 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2008  7:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wwhitman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've checked the few large cents that I have. Most have errors in the vines and die cracks also. Seems like this is normal for these. Any body else check theirs?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1191 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2008  9:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Numismat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yea, it is quite common. How can it be that it has been largely overlooked? Hmm.....
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.2 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05