Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Numismatic Discussion Forums (Non Country Specific)
 Supplies, Books, Reference, Software, etc

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Gloves

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
guyofsteel
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2008  7:46 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add guyofsteel to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

What kind of gloves are recommended to best protect coins while they are being handled? Cotton? Vinyl? Latex? Something else? Powder free?

And where can the recommended gloves be purchased in large sizes? My size in dress gloves is XXXL, one-size-fits-all gloves are very tight on me and tear easily.

Thanks in advance!

Jim

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
2700 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2008  8:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Peter THOMAS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
G'dat,
opinion is divided between which of cotton, latex, or vinyl is best.
I think most would agree that powder-free is better than powdered.
I prefer cotton: inexpensive; non-irritant; washable; re-usable.
In a previous thread, I recall one forum-member mentioned that cotton gloves can be found in a variety of colours "... including camo - in case you feel the need to handle your coins covertly ... in the woods".
Peter
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
20335 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2008  11:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I feel cotton is best.

However, if coloured I would wash them before using.
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn about my new avatar and my old one.

>>> Chicago Blackhawks - 2013 Stanley Cup Champions <<<

Did you know that our members sell on eBay and that there is a better way to search it?
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2008  3:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add guyofsteel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cotton certainly is more comfortable for long periods of time, and also more durable. If anyone can point me to a source of XXL or larger cotton gloves I'd appreciate it. If I find one myself, I'll post it here.

Thanks,

Jim
Pillar Of The Community
United States
860 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2008  4:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add desertgem to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Since the coins aren't being stored in the gloves, just handled for short period of time, any glove that protect the coin from skin secretions should be OK. Cotton is more comfortable and traditional for jewelers and coin dealers, but I would go for disposables if you are handling many coins between replacement or washing ( which is another thread someplace)

Jim
Valued Member
United States
104 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2009  9:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MArainman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As an EMT, I'm in latex gloves almost all day. Not good times, let me tell you. Your hands sweat after a while and it's just not comfortable. Plus, many people have developed latex allergies from gloves. Not that you'll be wearing them all that often or will have to keep pathogens out of your bloodstream. Cotton is the way to go, in my opinion. Just keep 'em clean and they'll provide the isolation you need.

Plus, latex gloves don't come in camo...
Valued Member
United States
284 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2009  10:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add christian_cyclist to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use cheap cotton gloves from Walmart. They are not high thread count and they are pretty cheap... $1. Make sure your gloves are white, so you can see how much dirt and gunk your fingers would be picking up off the coins, especially circulated coins. It's amazing! When your white gloves get dirty, then it's time for a wash.

-- Boris
Valued Member
United States
264 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2009  11:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Erwindoc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like both. With my cotton gloves I have trouble manipulating things cause they are slick. Rubber gloves(if powder-free) dont cause much problems and I can certainly pick up things much easier, but they cause my hands to sweat more if I leave them on longer than a few minutes.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
860 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2009  5:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add desertgem to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

The interesting thing is that the gloves don't make you sweat more, they just prevent the sweat from evaporating, so it is much more apparent in the glove. With cloth gloves some of the sweat evaporates and some soak into the cloth. I would rather keep the sweat contained. One could use cotton gloves over the plastic gloves if they preferred the touch factor.

Jim
Pillar Of The Community
Spain
1361 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2009  6:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add manilagalleontrade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have read somewhere that using gloves is not advisable. There is more danger in dropping the coin with a glove and damaging it, than just using your bare hands, as long as you know how to hold the coins properly (holding the coin edge only with clean hands).
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1179 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2009  8:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ceaton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've been using mine for about 8 months and havent washed them. I wasnt sure if its a good idea to do so? Thoughts? Do you wash yours?
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05