Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canon Macro Lenses

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
375 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2009  2:56 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add wif99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I have A Rebel XSI and want to get a macro lense for coin Photos,
but can not make a decision between the EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM and
the EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM. also another Question Do I Need a Hood? What is the purpose of a hood?
I have a Copy Stand. Thks

Learn More...
United States
16685 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2009  4:25 pm  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a question that's right up my alley.

OK, here's the scoop. Both lenses are incomprehensibly sharp; unless you already own "L" glass, you will be astonished by just how sharp these lenses can be. The major advantage of the 100mm is relief - you'll be able to position the lens farther from the coin for a given size image, allowing more leeway with lighting. This is also an advantage with outdoor macro shooting - bugs get nervous when you get too close. The advantages of the 60mm are price and portraiture. The 60mm is almost $100 less, and is a much better lens for portrait photography because the 100mm's standoff for a proper frame will leave you across the room from the subject.

The 60mm will not fit any but EF-S-compatible cropped-sensor cameras. If you plan an upgrade to a fullframe camera in the future, the 60mm will not make the trip. I have not shot with the 60mm, but experienced shooters universally approve its' quality and some consider it even sharper than the 100mm (I dunno how that's possible ). Kurt (Moderator) shoots with the Nikon equivalent of this setup, a dSLR with a 60mm lens, and he achieves excellent results.

For my money? The 100mm wins, hands-down. I like the extra distance from the subject, and I especially like being able to shoot sharp images that are way too big for my 1680x1050 monitor. I've owned one, and sometime next week you will see pics here from the exact camera combo you're considering, as I have an XSi and the 100mm Macro is enroute as we speak.

The lens hood is not for use indoors. It's purpose is to eliminate glare and lens flare from sunlight; highly recommended with Canon macro lenses since the front glass is right at the end of the barrel and susceptible to glare.

Canon Rebel XT/100mm Macro:

The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, numismo - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
Valued Member
United States
375 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2009  4:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wif99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thks for the info. I have ordered the 100
Learn More...
United States
16685 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2009  4:55 pm  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You won't regret it. Most consider the 100mm to be the best non-L lens Canon makes, and better than may of the L's.
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, numismo - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Valued Member
Denmark
69 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2009  6:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bomndk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know it's a little late but I use the 60mm but the 100mm is definitely also a good lens.
Valued Member
United States
322 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2009  02:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mikep to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You won't be disappointed. The 100mm f2.8 is an awesome lens. Keep in mind the Rebex XSI is not a full frame sensor camera, so the 100mm lens would actually be 160mm while using that camera.

Mike
Learn More...
United States
2553 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2009  03:50 am  Show Profile Check xshift's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add xshift to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also have the 60mm - just got it for Christmas and am still playing around with the new setup. I'd rather be able to be slightly closer to the subject.. the distance necessary for the 100mm was the deciding factor for me (yes.. I got to pick out my own present ). It focuses quick, and being used to the lens that came with the camera I was really amazed at how close I could get without being right on top of the picture subject. It's a lot of fun
Our members sell on eBay! | And so do I

*Seeking coin images for the Coin Inscription Project at coinscriptions.com - please let me know if you can help!*
Valued Member
United States
156 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2009  9:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add daveyn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also got the Rebel XSi for Christmas, will be buying the 100mm macro also. I am trying to get the software setup in my laptop to do the remote live view shots, not sure how the hand held macro shots would turn out. I plan to mount in a stand and display the shot on the laptop for adjustments, how is everyone else shooting their macro shots?

Later,

Learn More...
United States
16685 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2009  02:30 am  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dave, I shoot all my coin shots using DSLR Remote Pro, with the camera in a copystand and tethered to my computer. Hand-holding a coin macro is iffy because of the extremely narrow depth-of-field - this is giving me fits shooting outside for the same reason.

Valued Member
United States
156 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2009  07:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add daveyn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Dave,
I'm not sure yet about the software that came with the camera. Remote pro is something you had to buy separately correct, or did it come with your camera package. I was told the software that came with my XSi will do the remote laptop stuff I'm wanting to do.

Later,

Learn More...
United States
16685 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2009  12:55 pm  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dave, I'd originally bought ($99) DSLR Remote Pro because the version of Canon software which came with my 350D (Rebel XT) was so buggy as to be unusable in Windows XP. I was never able to make it install and work correctly.

For this thread, I installed the new software which came with the XSi. It installed easily, I hooked up the camera and was remote shooting immediately. I'm pretty impressed with it. All the controllability you'd need is in there, and my only (minor) gripe is that it wants you to use the other Canon utilities to play with the resulting pics.

I think you're going to enjoy this.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
5318 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2009  1:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KurtS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice shot and coin--great die cracks!
Obviously Canon and Nikon have equally capable macro lenses.
I think a 100mm macro is a better choice for coins, as I often have to work with lighting to avoid cast shadows.
Valued Member
United States
156 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2009  2:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add daveyn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was just wondering if there would be any lighting advantage to having a stand that would allow you to shoot your shots straight across instead of having the camera pointed straight down. Most tripod and stand setups that I've seen are set to shoot straight down. I have a sheet metal and weld shop at my disposal, I was thinking of making a stand that would allow the camera to be setup much like being hand held. I thought you might have a few more lighting options that way, just thought I'd ask for a few opinions.

Later,

Learn More...
United States
16685 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2009  4:11 pm  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I thought you might have a few more lighting options that way, just thought I'd ask for a few opinions.

Dave, the extra lighting options are negated by the very shallow depth-of-field in macro photography. Gravity would make it very difficult to set a coin directly vertical, and therefore parallel, to a camera set up horizontally.

With my setup, I can only allow the coin to get out of parallel by one or two degrees before the shallow depth-of-field leaves part of the coin out of focus.

Valued Member
United States
156 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2009  4:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add daveyn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the quick reply SuperDave, I guess that answered my question. It looks like the 100mm lens is just what I need for my Snow varieties, I now have to decide where to buy it. The local camera shop wants $550 for it, but I've seen it on line at $430 to $490. I'm not too sure of the online shops, any suggestions?

later,
Edited by daveyn
02/21/2009 5:38 pm
Learn More...
United States
16685 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2009  6:45 pm  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm not too sure of the online shops, any suggestions?

I generally start with Amazon or Newegg for virtually everything I buy online. Photography vendors I have no problem recommending:

B&H (I got my 100mm used from them for $399)
Cameta
Adorama
17th St. Photo
KEH (also has used lenses)

I've done business with all of these. For future reference:

http://www.resellerratings.com/

Huge online database of customer experiences with online sellers - the gold standard for such information. Be seriously leery of a vendor who doesn't rate 8.5 or better from Resellerratings.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05