Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 Canadian Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 Canadian Coins, Bank Notes, and Paper Money

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Loonies & Toonies

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Snowy
Canada
11 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2009  8:38 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Snowy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Just wondering...

Are there any loonies & toonies that one would consider to be valuable?

Many of the years seem to be worth considerably more than face value, accordingly to Charltons 2010 edition.

I have a few rolls (unopened) of various years. Would it be wise to leave them together or break them up and tuck them into those cardboard holders separately?

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
5582 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2009  06:33 am  Show Profile Check SHAFTA9a's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SHAFTA9a to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, Snowy, Welcome to the Forums.

Yes.. Some dates are worth more than others,some that come to mind-
1992 (1867) Loon design, with low mintage,
2002 (1952) & 2003 (crowned portrait) both with low mintages

And, some others, get yourself a Charlton Catalogue, it will help you a lot.
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
520 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2009  07:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add t_y to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
all twoonies can be seen in circulation - no rarities at all

the issue is a little different when thinking about high grade: all higher than MS66 (all years) I ever saw are PL and specimens mis-attributed as MS; MS 66 exist for the years high-speed presses are used (to simplify, 2003 on) and not existent in the others. In the case of MS65 1996, they are exceedingly rare - I only saw 2 (went through hundreds of boxes) both are in CCCS hard slabs
Canada
11 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2009  10:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Snowy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do have the Charlton book, but I am not too educated in the grading etc.

Just about all of the loonies & toonies are listed at 5-10$ value for a MS 63, 64.

I can't figure out what would qualify as in those grades? How perfect would a coin have to be to be included in the MS 63 & 64 grade?

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
859 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2009  10:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add D to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are a few error varieties, here's a link to the page and a couple of pictures from that page.

http://www.coinscan.com/err/blane.html

Pillar Of The Community
520 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2009  12:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add t_y to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Grading is complex (not difficult). I suggest you to take a course or to visit your local coin club to learn how to do it.

The value of a coin is directly proportional to its grade - the higher the grade, the higher the value. That said, remember: don't try to make your coins artificially shinny - do not clean or polish coins - this is easily detected - and the coins will worth face value.

I would guess that there are many experts in grading in this board, they can guide you further.

Grading twoonies is harder than other coins because it is bimetallic - I just want to make the point and will not expand on the issue here.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
636 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2009  5:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dollar1948 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You know what?. precise grading can be difficult, but indeed it can be learned.
I'm still learning it all, as it pertains to Canadian.
After a couple years I can determine if something is AG, G, VG, F, VF, etc, with pretty good results.
Its breaking it down into it numerical subgrades is where I struggle. Its my hope to learn that next...baby steps.
Pillar Of The Community
520 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2009  6:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add t_y to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
those small 5 cents are something to make anyone insane - twoonies are easier (they are big for a start)
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
607 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2009  9:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 1cent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Snowy, forget about the price guide "value" for modern MS-63 and MS-64 grades. Nobody is going to be looking for common modern coins in those sorts of grades, at least not to the point where they are going to pay $5 or $10 for one. They are going to be looking for stuff like TY's MS-65's, which are much, much harder to find.
Valued Member
Canada
302 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2009  11:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add malibu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In my opinion Charlton "values" are the highest published in Canada. Often you'll see selling prices based on Charlton or Haxby. I like to use Trends (Cdn Coin News) to value my collection, however I rarely pay full Trends prices when buying; you can often find bargains at "Trends less 30-40%".

Here is an *excellent* grading resource that I refer to constantly:

http://www.coinoisseur.com/GradingCoins.html

scroll down to see pics of each grade, and click on them for larger images.
Canada
43 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2009  8:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add laserpete to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the charleton guide does mention that the value considers the coin certified. Therefore a $10 value on a loonie basically covers the cost of the certification. Basically a price that a dealer would sell to us but we would never get ourselves.
Canada
11 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2009  10:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Snowy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all for the helpful info.
I sure am getting an education in the numismatic world.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1571 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2009  12:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add livingdinasaur to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
snowy, welcome to the forum! As far as 'geetting an education", don't feel you are alone. There are many of us who benefit from the knowledge, and experience of others. I thank them for their patience, and generosity.
Dick
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.98 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05