Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Blank "Gallery mint" coin | for replica "high relief" dimes

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
164 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2009  12:35 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add JOE to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

This is a strange coin I discovered, And even though it is not Legal united states tender, I was wondering if there would be any premium on it, since it is a blank.

I searched "Gallery mint" on Google and eBay, And they seem to be a company that makes replicas of valuable United States coins. (I'm guessing the edge lettering is a way of showing the coin is a replica.) I did not find any data on how many "Blank" Gallery mint coins there are though, And I'm still not entirely sure this is (or was intended to be) a coin.

Here are two photos of the obverse and reverse.

Here are a few pictures of the edge lettering. (It says "Gallery mint" along with an odd symbol on both sides of the rim. I'm unsure what the symbol is.)

And this is a size (and rim width) comparison with a Roosevelt dime and Jefferson nickle. At first I thought this blank was intended to be a nickle, But it is not wide enough. And the coins rim is much too thick to be a dime.

My questions on this coin, Since it is a blank, does that give it a premium? And what coin was the blank going to replicate? (And is it even a coin, or just a token?)

Any help or info at all would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

Identified - moved to Exonumia forum - Sap

Learn More...
Australia
11178 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2009  08:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK, this one's been in the vault a long time, but I think we can call this one.

Looking at this old Gallery Mint website, I scroll down almost to the bottom of the page and see that they make "high relief dimes" which are "slightly larger" than a real dime, and "very thick due to the extreme relief". I think this planchet would fit the bill for such a replica perfectly.

Quote:
It says "Gallery mint" along with an odd symbol on both sides of the rim. I'm unsure what the symbol is.

I think the symbol is supposed to be an old-fashioned screw press, like was used a couple of hundred years ago to mint coins. See this Wikipedia article.

Quote:
My questions on this coin, Since it is a blank, does that give it a premium?

I wouldn't think so. Looking through some of the other archived pages, there's a lot of "mint errors" for sale; no doubt some of these were deliberately made for sale to error collectors. Also saw a couple of other blank planchets for sale (for their replica hammered ancient coins). From this I'd assume that "errors" could be made to order and that they'd happily sell you a blank planchet for bullion value.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.08 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05