Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Question on face value

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
107 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2009  3:22 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Teuk to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I was looking for a second opinion on the face value of these notes.
One is a 1945 5,000 Yuan note.

The other is a 1944 1,000 Yuan note.

From what I've found out they were hyper inflated and are
pretty much worthless now.
Figured I'd stop in since I haven't been in here for over a year haha.
But let me know please and thank you.

Learn More...
Australia
11236 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2009  5:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These notes have no actual "face value" anymore as far as exchanging them for dollars (or any other modern currency) is concerned. The government that recognized them, the mainland Republic of China, no longer exists. The remnant Republic of China in exile on Taiwan knew that the communists had captured large amounts of old ROC money (as well as printing plates) and didn't want their economy flooded with them, so they declared nothing but Bank of Taiwan notes legal tender. Mainland notes have never been used on Taiwan.

They only have value as a collectable note. My pre-1960 banknote catalogue dates from the 1980's so any values I quote you would be irrelevant. The torn corners and tape stains will probaly reduce the value of these considerably.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Valued Member
United States
296 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2009  12:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hc8604 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actually these are printed by the other "Republic of China"... the one that was a puppet government under Japan. I am not sure what the Republic of China after the end of WWII did with these notes.. if they (under) re-valued these notes to their own currency or declared these as no value.

As for the actual RoC banknotes of WWII period, China suffered heavy hyperinflation which is another reason to Sap's response. In 1948 the government revalued the old fabi notes to the Gold Yuan. Hyperinflation still was out of control and by 1949, the government introduced the Silver Yuan. By Dec. of 1949, when the RoC fled to Taiwan, all banknotes were covereted into the Taiwan dollar, since the Silver Yuan also suffered to hyperinflation, which was printed by the Bank of Taiwan.

Like the Chinese yuans, the Central Reserve Bank of China (which printed your notes) also suffered hyperinflation.

Notes in Uncirculated condition are in more demand, even though many were printed...
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05