Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Numismatic Discussion Forums (Non Country Specific)
 Third Party Coin Grading (TPG)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

ANACS VS NGC and PCGS

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
busthalf
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1304 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2009  12:01 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add busthalf to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Any comments on how you would rate ANACS to NGC AND PCGS.

Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2009  12:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
in recent experience of my own I have seen ANACS coins graded stricter than NGC or PCGS. I haven't really looked at ANACS since they changed to the yellow label but looked at quite a few of them with the Blue label and was really surprised at their opinion on some of them because I was off by 1-2 points on most of them and my guess was high and my guesses are usually lower than the assigned grade with NGC or PCGS
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3569 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2010  9:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Indian1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree. Anacs is more conservative on their grading than the other two. Actually, they grade correctly. Probably why PCGS and ngc bring a better price. Too bad buyers don't smarten up. Anacs has the most experience than all the others. They offer services at a good price
and will at least send you your coin back graded and slabbed even if it was cleaned. I hope they keep up their standards and eventually
the other two will fall by the wayside as far as value.
Valued Member
United States
317 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2010  10:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Terror Of Zanarkand to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with what everyone has said. ANACS is the most accurate and the strictest from what I have seen,sometimes to my dismay. My 1998 Matte Kennedy Half came back a couple points lower than I thought it would be, but on examining the coin closer, it deserved the MS66 it got. I always choose ANACs, and when I buy certified coins, ANACS is my first choice, followed by NGC and then ICG. DGS is looking pretty good as well from what I've seen. I refuse to have a PCGS coin in my collection because there's a lot of things I dislike about how they do business and how they grade.
Valued Member
Australia
60 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2010  06:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RareSov to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think you'll find ANACS is not the most accurate service, as with the others they have failings. I have only seen a couple of ANACS coins but one was a dud and the other was average at best for the grade. I have however heard a lot from others on the forums. Some series especially, they did undergrade back when it was a photo certificate not a slab and they graded both sides separately. They are definitely a good grading service, but for me its NGC only. I send all my best coins there. PCGS coins I will look at, if someone wants a PCGS slab. Pre Decimal Australian silver is best sold in PCGS holders for example.

However, remember always buy the COIN not the slab !

Indian, NGC and PCGS both send back cleaned or otherwise problem coins in holders. PCGS "Genuine" is a terrible idea IMHO though. NGC has it right, a distinctive change, you get a purple bit on the label, and the grade is never in numbers. It is adjectival and HARSH. An otherwise AU coin can be as low as "VF Details" although it would normally be "XF Details"

Hope this helps
Edited by RareSov
01/08/2010 06:24 am
Valued Member
United States
244 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2010  9:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PCGS clearly gets a higher premium per grade compared to NGC, ANACS and ICG in that order from my observation and experience.
I have stopped sending to PCGS because for the life of me they say coins have been cleaned or altered and I just can't see it. I have multiple coins that I have shown to my coin buddies with far more experience than me and they agree. I like NGC coins. I always seem to be right on with ANACS. And lately I have just started sending coins to ICG since I live outside of Tampa and it is cheaper. I also believe their grading is accuate. Some of the other posters on the forum mention that they hand out to many MS 70's on modern coins. I Love my Morgans and they have a a great dollar deal. They will grade any dollar for 12 bucks in two days. They have also lowered their prices and they take the shortest time in attributions
Valued Member
United States
70 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2010  09:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add funcitypapa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Frankly, I have never understood why ANACS is always rated third in comparison to PCGS and NGC. From what I have seen their opinions seem as reasonable or unreasonable as the other two. We have the same situation in stamps where the PF and PSE always seem at the top of the heap compared to APS even though the latter is much older than either of its competitors. Frankly, I don't see it. They have all had their issues over the years, particularly the PF scandal of years ago and PSE with their image of perhaps being too concerned with "money." If I were an investor, I would find the coin first and then look for a clear opinion on the slab understanding that PCGS or NGC would bring more at the time of selling for whatever byzantine reason that is and if I were a collector, I would have no problem with a clean opinion from any of the 4 (including ICG). When you read Travers book, you get the idea that investors have flipped from PCGS to NGC and back again almost in a herd mentality. When that occurs, "fixed" opinions about ANACS sort of get lost in the shuffle and human nature being what it is, people tend to be resistant to look at the situation with a fresh and clear mind.
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2010  3:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coinjar100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have used all 3 services and rate them...
First PCGS
Second NGC
Last ANACS
PCGS
I feel the PCGS grades accurately, has the most knowledgeable personnel (especially for variety coins) and has an efficient system for checking orders.
NGC
NGC is great as long as you have a simple order, they make mistakes when you send a mix of coins or varieties. But correct them afterwards at no charge.
ANACS
In my opinion...horrible. They are much cheaper, but their grades and attributions vary greatly and are often wrong. Order checking is difficult and vague.

Pay the extra money and get top notch service with PCGS and NGC. There is a reason that the Home Shopping Network uses ANACS, cheap and inflated grading. ANACS would be out of business without HSN.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
11079 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2010  4:00 pm  Show Profile Check biokemist6's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi coinjar100,
I have to take issue with a couple of your statements. ANACS attributes by far more varieties than either PCGS or NGC. They attribute every single existing VAM in addition to many to many other specialized varieties. If you want an obscure variety confirmed and attributed in a slab, ANACS is basically your only choice. As for going out of business without HSN, I seriously doubt that considering ANACS has been around much longer than either PCGS or NGC. They have many die-hard customers that only submit to ANACS and as previously mentioned they are top dog for thousands of die varieties, slabbed variety collecting would take a huge hit without them.
ANA R-3151318
United States
16622 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2010  08:32 am  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have to agree with biokemist - ANACS is, in my opinion, the only choice if you're interested in variety attribution. Although PCGS isn't technically incompetent, they'll only attribute certain varieties and NGC is just plain all over the map.
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, numismo - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3027 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2010  12:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add aladinslamp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
a very interesting topic...TPG's...I have long questioned why there is no BALANCE IN GRADING from one grading company to another, (as we have have seen many an incompetent company grading MS67 to many Morgan dollars or MS70 to many circulated coins INB.) as a colletor where are we to go??
in general..we are trusting the company whom we submit our coins to for an honest evaluation of a coins grade....meaning monetary confirmed value..WHY ELSE...
WE are spending our money, in an obscure money market......still it is a money market......or just as I am a love for my trinkets.......but in the end.its a money market thing......the fact that thousands of dollars are made by a single point in the grading system is why I am writing tonight....WHY IS THERE SUCH A DIFFERENCE IN GRADING>.....BETWEEN GRADING COMPANIES...(despite fake companies)....we are all supposed to be on the same scale....the top 3 grading companies still do not agree............I think the public should step up,,,,,but we have no money to contest "WHY" there are not the same grading standards.........Just so you know, I'm not disputing the difference, just need to understand why there there is such a difference(BESIDES MONEY)......I'm only asking in theory.....WHY>>>>
Valued Member
United States
125 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2010  10:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uouo77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well said aladinslamp

On a different note my choices are ANACS 1st, then NGC and PCGS last. Because the public (at present) prefer NGC and PCGS they, rate a higher price which is just fine with me. It means I can buy a better graded coin in a ANACS holder for less $$$.
Valued Member
United States
55 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2013  5:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add malikot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, is it possible if you have Anacs graded coin example MS62 and when you crack the ANACS slab and submitted to PCGS the outcome will be Cleaned? Have you ever experience? Thanks
Edited by malikot
02/24/2013 8:44 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5084 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2013  7:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add D0ubl3Eagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it would be possible for an ANACS MS-62 coin to be called cleaned by PCGS though I have no experience. Some coins fall into the gray area between market acceptable and unacceptable cleaning/dipping and even the same TPG can call it cleaned one day and grade it another day. I have seen ANACS downgrade a coin, sometimes by a lot, because of weak luster which can be caused by cleaning/dipping.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8715 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2013  12:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Hi, is it possible if you have Anacs graded coin example MS62 and when you crack the ANACS slab and submitted to PCGS the outcome will be Cleaned?

Yes it would be possible, it would also be possible to have the same thing happen cracking out NGC or PCGS coins and sending them in to NGC or PCGS. There have been plenty of examples reported of people cracking out coins from the major TPG's and sending them either back in to the same or different major TPG companies and having them come back as cleaned or rejected for active PVC contamination.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2665 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2013  3:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mkman123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most major collectors prefer NGC and PCGS. All major coins are graded by NGC and PCGS.

Right now PCGS w/CAC sticker sells for more than NGC w/CAC sticker however I like them both. Without the CAC sticker PCGS coins still sell for more. I have no problem with ANACs but prefer the other two especially NGC. I don't drink the kool aid
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05