Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 US Classic Variety and Error Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

1888/7 Indian Cent?

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
oimcoins
Valued Member
United States
149 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2010  3:30 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add oimcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I don't think it's just my eyes playing tricks on me but do you see the "disturbances" on the 8 that the arrows are pointing out?

Is it just some wishful thinking?

Valued Member
United States
149 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2010  4:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oimcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Additional thoughts...
I am not sure if the bottom part, if it were the base of the 7 is far enough right.
I did notice how the upper-right loops is "fatter" than the others, which seems to be that way on the others.
This coin is probably a G6 so a lot of what may have been there could be worn down?

(Yes, I am trying to convince myself that it is, but I can't seem to do so.)
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
9206 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2010  12:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a few shots of a certified 1888/7

The date area:

And, according to Rick Snow--this rim cud will appear on every 1888/7. The size varies, but it's been on the 20 or so I've seen.

It would help to see the whole date--because there are more markers.
If I were to judge from just one shot, I'd say the 8 digit took a hit. The shape of the 8 digit changes over the life of the die.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1571 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2010  5:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add livingdinasaur to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would have to see the small CUD, to be sure. I have to agree with DVCollector.
It is nice ti see you around, again! Get your photos all done?
Dick
Pillar Of The Community
9206 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2010  7:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, it's also missing the marker in the upper loop of the 8, which exists in all die states.
Not to be a downer or anything, but this is a very scarce overdate--under 25 known examples.
Dick, good to see you too! I'm around, but just not doing much with coins now--the economy ya know?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
544 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2010  09:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add razorear to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The marker your talking about, is that the pimple looking thing in the upper loop of the 8? I knew about the small cud, but didn't know about the marker in the 8.
Pillar Of The Community
9206 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2010  1:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@razorear--
Yep, it's part of the underlying 7--same with that small hook on the outer loop of the 8 at 11:00
From what I've been told by Rick Snow, the cud has to be there--and helps confirm if there's dirt on the digits.
I hope collectors find more of these
Pillar Of The Community
United States
544 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2010  07:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add razorear to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK thank you,sometimes its so easy to overlook the small things.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1571 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2010  9:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add livingdinasaur to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Kurt, Between the economy, two down computers, and a "down with the flu" wife, things have been hectic, to say the least. Then to make matters worse, the hot water heater gave up the ghost. then the fun began! We installed a new one,. and it didn't hold water, much less heat the water. It went back, and another was brought jhome, and installed. Leaked like a sieve,(also had three severe dents), and diod not heat the water. Then the factory said we were trying to instrall a unit that is not apprioate for a mobile home. Okay, send us one. (That was sfter three weeks w/o hot water). Two weeks later, it arrived, and guess what, LEAKS. Even brwerfore getting the gas hooked yup, the water became visible. So another unti was ordered. It arrived saturday, and was installed sunday. It holds water, and also heats water, (after we located a leak in hte hotwater line to the big bathroom!. It is still working, and we enjoy the hotwater showers! Needles to say, but I was the next ot end up flat on my back from the flu. I am still feeling the effects, but things have to be done, and the wife just is not a carpenter, cabinet maker, mechanic in general, so old "Watashi" has to get it doje. At least, I am still able yto get things done. maybe not as fast as I once did, but, still, it gets done.
I am way behind in my coin checking, and will take time to get the second computer back in shape, then the computer room in shape afgain, so I canfind my coins. I know that there are 100 IOHC's here somewhere, not to mention those that came in for my "problem coin" collection. There are three more setd of those to come, as yet, so I am behind, but not smothered.
kurt, did you see the "new rig", for taking pictures? It was modified a bit, (by the camera, due to slight movement, thus mis-aligning it). The part that was broken off did not affect the operation, so no harm done.
Moderator, If you see fit, you can put this where you think it fits best. I have ADS, and tend to wander. I'm sure it will fit,somewhere.....8-)
Dick
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1571 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2010  6:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add livingdinasaur to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
DVCollector, If you are lurking, I need an answer: On the certified 1888/1887, is the word "america" doubled? That would confirm mine as being, or not being an'88/87. I don't recall if the CUD is there or not. i'll have to relocate where it is, and check.Thanks,
Dick
Pillar Of The Community
United States
860 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2010  8:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add desertgem to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

You might look at this thread also.

http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...PIC_ID=34516

Jim
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1571 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2010  5:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add livingdinasaur to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
desertgem, thanks for the link. I read the thread, and mine is NOT. so back into the 'pack". I had not read tour comment about the die crack below the last 8, and was going to ask kurt, if the vertical 'gouge', could actually be an old die crack, when you made your comment. I didn't know of the 'point on the pearl, so it was also an 'eye-opener". I can always use ant markers available to confirm. I went through all my 1888, just to see what might be there, and did find an RPD that I had missed, along with one that had some crud, which looked like another, but I removed a little, anf it is not an RPD. still have the same number, but different varieties. No 8/7, in the batch. P am working on 15 sets, at the moment, and some are nearly full, and others have only a few, but "it all counts on 20"! One set is a "problem coin set, from a-z. I need the '77, and the '09-s" to comllete it, and the same for two other sets, so far. Those, I think I'll leave for my heirs. That may be a "problem", too. none of the family is interested in coins, as such. They think coins are to spend, and the sooner, the better. They have a LOT to learn!
Dick
Pillar Of The Community
9206 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2010  5:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dick,
I just dropped by and noticed your post. From what I know of the 1888/7 or the '1888/888'...neither have a DDO.
Pics would help to see what your referring to.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1571 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2010  5:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add livingdinasaur to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Kutr, It is nice to see you 'stoppoing by"!
No pictures necessary. The coin is 1887, and is one of two. Both confirmed S-1. It is one of the first ones I got, when going to DFE/IHC collecting. The second one is much better fgrade.
BTW, I have another "patrol of scouts", coming in, in a few days. Who knows what they might bring. I believe they are FE,and '58's, large.
Dick
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.88 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05