Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Numismatic Discussion Forums (Non Country Specific)
 Third Party Coin Grading (TPG)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

PCS grading company?

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
jerry parker
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2010  05:56 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jerry parker to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I have noticed on eBay quite a few Morgan dollars graded by this company (PCS). Can anyone tell me about this company? I would appreciate any information you may have about them. Thank You,

Jerry Parker

Moved to TPG forum - Sap

Edited by jerry parker
05/05/2010 06:01 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3193 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2010  06:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
are you sure its not PCGS?

if not it most likely would be a basement slabbing company ie. over grading coins or putting fake coins in slabs
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1418 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2010  07:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tumbleweedtrumpet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PCS is just a basement company.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2625 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2010  08:40 am  Show Profile Check SeatedNut's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SeatedNut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I've seen those PCS slabs also. This is an individual with a quantity of coins and slabs doing his own thing. No conflict of interest there

I believe the acronym PCS stands for Pretty Crappy Slabs.
So many coins, so little time ...
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8710 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2010  09:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A third or even fourth tier service. There have been at least two different companies that have used these initials. One was active in the 1999 - 2002 era and the other has been more recent about 2008 - date. The early company used Capital Plastic holders while the current one uses I believe Safe-Slab Brand generic shells.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
718 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2010  12:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Saruma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll bet the name is meant to make it easy to confuse with PCGS. I'd be cautious about any slabbed coin that is done by any company other than PCGS, NGC, ANACS, and ICG. In fact I'd rather buy a raw coin over a basement slabbed one. When I see a basement slab I automatically think that the seller is intent on deceiving me and that gives me less trust in the coin itself.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2010  04:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jessie james to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
well I personally have bought many of these coins in PCS slabs and found them to be pretty accurate I have pulled them from there slabs and had them reslabbed by PCGS found them to be right on three in the past year have graded higher than PCS graded them and only one lower out of approx 25 to 30 submitted so if it is basement slabs as previusely posted then there doing something right I buy on eBay crack em and resubmit to PCGS because people believe this company to be so much better and boy the profit is unreal just my opinion though like I said everyone has one LOL
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2010  12:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
well I personally have bought many of these coins in PCS slabs and found them to be pretty accurate I have pulled them from there slabs and had them reslabbed by PCGS found them to be right on three in the past year have graded higher than PCS graded them and only one lower out of approx 25 to 30 submitted so if it is basement slabs as previusely posted then there doing something right I buy on eBay crack em and resubmit to PCGS because people believe this company to be so much better and boy the profit is unreal just my opinion though like I said everyone has one LOL

well all I can say is the ones I have seen look like turds in a plastic shell so you have been very lucky if you have had this type of luck with any PCS slabs past or present
Valued Member
United States
102 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2010  12:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add maichinht to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just keep it simple and stick to one well-known company... All I own is NGC slabbed coins. Personal preference.
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2010  06:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 707guy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have just purchased a 1889o Morgan ms64, on eBay, looks good in photo,and coin is slabbed "PCS MS 64" and the seller says she stands behind it. I will let you know when I get it, a day or so, her store had a couple very high end Morgans (ms1894) with High AU and MS ratings, but get this the name of her site is HUBBYSCOINS....... You can draw your own conclusions..................She is listed as A POWER SELLER X 10, and has perfect feedback. So why would someone like that sell crap?
United States
16622 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2010  10:59 am  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So why would someone like that sell crap?

You're underestimating the number of clueless eBay buyers. It'd be a chilly day indeed before I dealt with that seller - some of my finest "Ebay amusement" moments have come at their expense.
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, numismo - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2010  01:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nepsi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I for one, am sick and tired of collectors, thinking that NGC and, PCGS are the only good grading companys. A good example is 2010 Early Release Silver Eagles, that were purchased by big dealers and given a blanket grading of 70 on thousands of coins, which has killed the price of resells for smaller collectors. You know a deal was cut by these big dealers, for large purchases, all graded 70, what a joke. I to have had good experiences with so-called second tier grading companies. NGC and PCGS, like to think that they are the only game in town, but they are not !

Edited by Moderator to remove all caps, next time hit the caps lock and type without all caps because its considered rude on a forum to type in all caps
United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2010  07:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I for one, am sick and tired of collectors, thinking that NGC and, PCGS are the only good grading companys. A good example is 2010 Early Release Silver Eagles, that were purchased by big dealers and given a blanket grading of 70 on thousands of coins, which has killed the price of resells for smaller collectors. You know a deal was cut by these big dealers, for large purchases, all graded 70, what a joke. I to have had good experiences with so-called second tier grading companies. NGC and PCGS, like to think that they are the only game in town, but they are not !

No one has ever said they were the only "game in town" but unless there is any consistency in grading with the "so-called second tier grading companies" then we can't give new collectors the advice to go out and purchase these kind of coins in thee kinds of slabs. At least with the companies you mentioned you have a guarantee with the bottom feeders you do not. You sure can find some values in bottom feeder slabs BUT, I would only suggest people that are comfortable grading by pictures or grading in general (if they are in hand) to participate in this practice, not new collectors which can't do so comfortably
Valued Member
United States
401 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2010  07:58 am  Show Profile Check edgman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add edgman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have been doing a lot of trading on Teletrade lately and find that PCGS commands a 25-35% higher price difference than NGC for the exact same coins. Not once but always. Teletrade also trades in ANACS and IGC but they only sell in the older coins. Nowhere do I find PCS graded coins except eBay. I have resubmitted slabbed coins from other grading companies to ANACS and PCGS and about 50% came back as ungradable because of cleaning, etc, so now I just stick to PCGS or buy unslabbed.

My opion only.

edgman
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2010  12:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add prudden to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay,I've bought alot of slabbed and raw coins on eBay. One thing I don't understand is why bad sellers last as long as they do without getting negatives.There is one in particular who has been selling awful Artificially toned coins for years and still at it. But that's a side issue
I have bought I just about every basement slab out there.ICS,WGC,ACG and even PCS.The only one I've bought twice is ACG and even then I regretted it.
If they aren't the eBay 5 you better cross your fingers.Although 2 of those 5 are iffy now as well. None of those basement slabs have coins better than MS65 and most are MS63 and lower or have problems that would earn a "genuine" at PCGS or "net" grade elswhere.That's why they sell MS67 labeled coins for $40.00. Stay far away from these crooks.you'll be much happier with your more expensive but realistically graded coin collection.Or educate yourself on what problems to look for and buy raw. Have fun.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1285 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2010  01:37 am  Show Profile Check markn's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add markn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmmm a couple of one post wonders show up to defend a 4th tier slabber, am I the only one who finds this a little fishy?
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05