Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1773 Pennsylvania 15 Shillings

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
2820 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2010  7:31 pm Show Profile Check Prethen's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Prethen to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I paid $110 for this note which appears to be in great shape with a single fold. It feels fairly "crisp" still and not limp as it stays pretty straight when holding it by one of the edges.

I believe wholesale is about $90. Although, I've seen Heritage auctions where the same note in nice AU going for around $130 or so. What do you guys think...did I do okay?

Specializing in 2-3-20 cent pieces and 19th Century Proofs
Did someone mention 3CN?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1397 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2010  9:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nickelman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Appears" means you haven't actually got it or seen it.

I truly hope it is as it "appears". I love everything old and wish for the best. Would I pay $110 for it? I bought a nazi 5 mark coin for $15 and a steel penny for $1.50 so ofc I would!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2820 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2010  9:02 pm  Show Profile Check Prethen's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Prethen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am in possession of the note. I say "appears" because I've learned to hedge in everything coins/currency. Too many lessons learned and yet to learn!
Did someone mention 3CN?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1397 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2010  9:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nickelman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Number 1 question: Are you happy with it?
Valued Member
United States
155 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2010  9:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Myst to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know anything about the value of these pieces but it sure looks great. Is it common for them to have pictures on them like this one has? Amazing how they can have survived for so long.
Pillar of the Community
3660 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2010  9:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add zeewool to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What an absolutely fantastic piece Prethen. Both paper and ink are just beautiful. I think that you got one heck of a great deal. Very very nice.

Yes, it is very common for pictures of nature to adorn the reverses of colonial notes. Ben Franklin was responsible for a good many of the reverse designs. Many times an imprint of a leaf will take the place of the country side view that is on this note.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2820 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2010  10:02 pm  Show Profile Check Prethen's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Prethen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Number 1 question: Are you happy with it?

Yes, I'm happy with it.

However, and please don't take this the wrong way, but this is a very cliche question coin guys ask all the time. If you overpay by 5% on something and your happy with it, then it's all good. If you're buried in the item because you paid multiples of what an experienced collector should have paid, then you'll no longer be very happy.
Did someone mention 3CN?
Valued Member
United States
469 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2010  4:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add southerngent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think you did fine. It is a very cool piece and to be as crisp as you said, it would be a good purchase to me.
Valued Member
United States
102 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2010  6:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add maichinht to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would pay about the same for it. It's a great piece of history!
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2010  4:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add robertstovner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have one of these notes but mind is a tweny dollar bill printed in september 26 1778 in Phil.
it says this Bill entitles the bearer to receive Twenty spanish milled dollars or the value there of in gold or silver printed by Hall and sellers.. whats the price of that
Valued Member
United States
114 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2010  1:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Monedas to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You have a good piece of America history in your hands. The price is pretty nice to!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1748 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2010  10:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pyrbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The price sounds good to me. On a side note, Thomas Mifflin was one of the PA signers of the Constitution.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1827 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2010  8:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add snowman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great note. I especially like, "To Counterfeit is DEATH". Too bad the same rules don't apply today.
Valued Member
United States
70 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2010  12:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add funcitypapa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a very nice looking note. The Mifflin signature is not that of the signer of the Constitution. However, the way the last name is signed is similar to Thomas Mifflin's --however this signer is Joseph MIfflin possibly a brother or other relative. The other signers are James Hartley and Alexander Tod. Thomas Mifflin was known to sign the March 20, 1771 Pennsylvania note and John Morton, signer of the Declaration of Independence signed 1772 Pennsylvania notes.
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2013  6:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dallasjward2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i could use a little help also , I have a 15 shilling note and was wondering how to tell if its real or not thanks for any help
Learn More...
United States
14007 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2013  6:11 pm  Show Profile Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My knowledge on Colonial paper is limited. That's a cool note!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05