Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help needed with "crowns"

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Australia
869 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2010  05:36 am Show Profile Check Jeff's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Jeff to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I recently bought a large quantity of assorted foreign coins from a dealer -19.1kg (42 pounds)!
It will take me quite a time to sort them but I have extracted quite a few crown sized coins. The UK crowns are well known to me and the US eagle, silver dollars likewise; they have weight and silver content on them -the US government would not lie to us on a coin -unlike some recent presidents!

However there are two I have been unable to establish full details for;

• French Indo-China 1 piastre, 1908. Weighs 19 grams
  • India 10 rupee, 1974. Weighs 25 grams. This has a mirror-like finish but is not a proof (I think proof sets were silver).

Can anyone tell me what metal composition these are?

Thanks,
Jeff

Moved to World Coins forum - Sap

"If you want to know what God thinks of money, look at the people He gives it to." Joe Moore
Edited by Jeff
07/23/2010 07:40 am
Valued Member
Canada
437 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2010  05:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coinsnpaper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would guess that your French Indo China is a Chinese fake. The genuine coins had a weight of 27 grams, 0.9 silver. I would check the colouring, and detailing very carefully on any of the crown-sized coins, and actually any of the silver coins that have a similar colouring- there fakes around of coins as small as the Hong Kong 5 and 10 cent pieces.
The Indian coins was made of Copper-Nickel, and the mirror-like finish coins were proofs. They were also made of Copper-Nickel. 10 rupees up to 1973 were made of silver.
Learn More...
United States
13314 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2010  07:49 am  Show Profile Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree the French Indo-China coin is a fake if the weight is at 19 grams.
Valued Member
Israel
373 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2010  08:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Angielczyk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The India 10 Rupee coins were F.A.O. coins and were as said copper nickel. The mirror like finish is Proof-Like. There were not any silver sets made as far as I know.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
869 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2010  5:37 pm  Show Profile Check Jeff's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Jeff to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your help.
Score, so far;
  • 2 x fake Flying eagle dollars
  • 1 x fake 1 piastre
  • Probably genuine 10 rupees (these aren't worth much)

Now I should check the other American dollars and the English crowns. I don't have very high expectations.
After that, the Brirish and New Zealand half crowns and florins -these are probably genuine; any I have seen have been after the date they went to copper/nickel from silver.

Jeff
"If you want to know what God thinks of money, look at the people He gives it to." Joe Moore
Pillar of the Community
Philippines
1154 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2010  05:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nic to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jeff
Youve got 42 pounds! wow that a lot of potential crowns, appreciate pics posted for the two coins youve mentioned, sounds interesting to see. Thanks
Pillar of the Community
Australia
869 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2010  6:07 pm  Show Profile Check Jeff's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Jeff to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Nic,
I will try to post some photos (or scans) later, when I have some time. I estimate something between 3,000 and 4,000 coins. Average cost per coin is around 10, or so.

In similar size coins I have also found a Jamaica, 1966 5 shilling (Commonwealth Games) and eleven Eisenhower dollars.

Can I ask some silly questions re. the "Ikes"?
Is it normal for these to show a copper colour on the edge? I understand they are a copper core so, presumably, it will show at the edge.
Is there significance with different mintmarks? I have 1971 D mintmark, 1972 D, 1974 D, 1976 (Liberty Bell) with D and no mintmark (Philadelphia?) and 1978 D. Denver must be the common one. I intend to list the duplicates on eBay but don't want to inadvertently sell off a scarce one.

Also found, so far, several New Zealand, Fiji and New Guinea pre-decimals. Those I am interested in.

When I have finished sorting and identifying (and extracting what I am interested in) many will go on eBay in suitable sized lots for reasonable postage.

cheers
Jeff
Edited by Jeff
07/25/2010 8:51 pm
Pillar of the Community
Australia
869 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2010  01:01 am  Show Profile Check Jeff's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Jeff to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
Philippines
1154 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2010  02:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nic to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice coins! whatever you got, at 10cents a coin, that's lower than junk bin value at the coin shop!

For the Ikes, best to acquire the current Red Book. The copper half line at the edge was placed there intentionally to show the coin is not silver. The rest of the details are in the Red Book.

If youve got some large darkside silver crowns that you dont want, there's always the sell post where you can unload it, and recover some of the $ youve spent.

Thanks for sharing the pics!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.74 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05