Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

verdi-care

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
307 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2010  11:34 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Coin Chaser to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Just received a bottle of Verdi-Care from Wizard but it came with out instructions. I would like to use it on some very dirty and stained silver coins. I will use a acetone dip with out wiping to remove oil and grime from previous handling. What is the next step? I don't know what to expect. I really don't know what I want except a better looking coin. I have seen coins dipped in some cleaners and all sheen or patina was lost. I do not want that to happen. I was told that this product was a restorer. That is what I want. Will it also work on ancient coins of silver or bronze? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4000 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2010  02:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Scooby Due to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you go back to Wizard, you'll find a link to download instructions, FAQ's, everything.

Then, if you haven't already, find BadThad's thread on Verdi-Care. It's chock full of experiments that you can read up on.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2390 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2010  10:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mycrob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is that product for silver or copper or both?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11282 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2010  8:13 pm  Show Profile Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please find all the documentation on Wizards website:

http://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/pro...di-care.html
Lincoln Cent Lover!
VERDI-CARE™ All Metal Conservation Fluid
http://www.verdichem.com
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11282 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2010  8:14 pm  Show Profile Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is that product for silver or copper or both?

ALL METALS
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Valued Member
United States
499 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2010  8:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ziggy9 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have been using the product tonight on some Byzantines that have mild to moderate verdigris. I am very happy with the results!

Thanks BadThad!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11282 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2010  7:48 pm  Show Profile Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool....thanks ziggy! Got any pics?
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Valued Member
United States
307 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2010  9:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coin Chaser to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the help. This item is certainly a winner. I used it on several silver Morgan and a BTW commemorative with some results. The application to several Roman bronze and silver was really impressive. My question: Is it necessary to apply Rem's wax to keep these results. Thanks for the help. If I learned how to use my scanner I would show you the results.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11282 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2010  9:13 pm  Show Profile Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do not apply anything else to the surface, there is no need. The ReAcT2 lower layer will protect the coin from all future corrosion and toning. If you put the coins in airtites, or at least 2x2's, and store them properly, will they will last forever after treatment with VC. Also, unlike oils and waxes, there is no need to ever retreat with VC.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Edited by BadThad
09/03/2010 9:16 pm
Valued Member
United States
307 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2010  9:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coin Chaser to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What about coins in Dansco albums?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11282 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2010  11:18 pm  Show Profile Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Shouldn't be a problem. However, Dansco albums do not seal tightly. I recommend folks keep those albums in giant ziplock bags with a large desiccant pack. Then, put the whole thing into something like a tupperware container. Store the container in a cool, dark place where the temperature stays consistent.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Valued Member
United States
499 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2010  07:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ziggy9 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't take pics this time. I will try to on the next batch.

Richard
Valued Member
United States
307 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2010  09:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coin Chaser to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bad Thad, I have many Dansco holders that I am using because I like the way they display the collection. Over the years toning has taken place on some of the coins but I really have not noticed any damage. Since grading and slabs came into the picture and we have investors instead of collectors the picture has changed. I am a collector I fill in the holes in my Danscos. Slabs are hard to control and to bulky to display. My question: Does treatment with Verdi-Care increase the likelihood that a coin in an unstable environment might become damaged? Does it change the original properties of the surface? The more I use it the better I like it. Thanks again
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11282 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2010  10:12 pm  Show Profile Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Does treatment with Verdi-Care increase the likelihood that a coin in an unstable environment might become damaged? Does it change the original properties of the surface?

VC will DECREASE the chances of environmental damage. That is one of the main designs of VC, surface protection. The ReAcT2 ingredient forms a semi-permanent bond with all metallic surfaces stopping the corrosion and toning process. The original surface properties are changed in that the surface metal is no longer able to react with the environment.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Valued Member
United States
307 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2010  8:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coin Chaser to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info. With the results that I am having using a acetone dip and Verdi-Care bath I am going to do many more coins. In the near future I will send one or two in for grading. Thanks again.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11282 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2010  02:13 am  Show Profile Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Be sure to let me know if a VC treated coin passes grading by one of the major TPG's. FREE bottle of VC if you do pass one and show before, after and slab pictures.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.09 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05