Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Numismatic Discussion Forums (Non Country Specific)
 Supplies, Books, Reference, Software, etc

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Best Book On Commems

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Feuchtwanger
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2010  05:59 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Feuchtwanger to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I'm looking to buy the best overall book on classic Commems. I see there are a lot of choices including Bowers, Flynn, Swiatek and more. Which books do the best job of presenting the history of the coin releases themselves(which is my foremost interest in the series)?

Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
1895 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2012  08:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a very old post that surprisingly never received a response, so for the benefit of others who might have the same question as Feuchtwanger...

If I had to pick just one reference book for the classic US commemorative series, it would have to be Q. David Bowers' Commemorative Coins of the United States - A Complete Encyclopedia. It provides a wealth of information on each of the coins in the series and presents it in an easy-to-consume manner. It is my first recommendation to collectors looking for a comprehensive volume; it is available in hardcover and softcover.

That said, you wouldn't go wrong with either Anthony Swiatek's Commemorative Coins of the United States - Identification and Price Guide (Amos Press/CoinWorld, 2001) or Kevin Flynn's The Authoritative Reference on Commemorative Coins 1892-1954. Each provides a good body of information on each coin, with the Flynn book being a bit more "scientific."

The Flynn book is still available "New," with the Bowers and Swiatek volumes generally available via used book outlets.

One note regarding coin values presented in these books, remember to use the information provided only to understand relative values between the various coins and conditions within each issue. DO NOT use them to determine current values/selling prices for the coins as the information they contain is out-of-date.

Happy reading!

Collecting history, one commemorative coin (or medal) at a time!
Original content (c) Commems, 2012-2014
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4819 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2012  02:36 am  Show Profile Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't read Bowers, I have a signed copy form Anthony Swiatek in my library, always liked it, but felt it could have been done with a lot more meat and substance in it. Bowers is the master numismatic author, so I couldn't see how you'd go wrong with his book either. I like Flynn's books, I'm not a fan of his titles he tends to call them all "The Authoritave References" I find that a tad strong, who is to say someone won't come out with a better book in the future? His writting is quite dry and tends to come off as a "know it all" but his research is solid, and his facts are good IMO, and he seems like a nice guy, I just wish he was a little less pretentious in his writing.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982 • EAC Member #6202 • NBS Member • 2¢ variety collector.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.02 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05