Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 World Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 World Coins and Commemoratives

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Latvian 1Lats

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5
svslav
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2605 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2010  4:30 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add svslav to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

In this thread about British trade dollars we spontaneously started talking about visiting Riga and Lats coins. Not to completely hijack the thread, and to make sure that other Darksiders could see the conversation I'm switching it to this forum.

So, here's what I have for 1 Lats coins so far (and I do have other denominations).

Pre-Soviet one:

And post-Soviet one:

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2605 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2010  4:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add svslav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would like to point out how simple the design of the obverse is on a modern Lats coin, both my example above and jgfindring's avatar. Not cluttered, and on the other hand it doesn't look like there's not enough.

I like how jgfindring used his avatar for the business:

Quote:
It is a 2008 Latvian 1 Lats coin. I own / run a water garden store and we use wooden nickels as customer loyalty tokens. I also bought a bunch of these coins when they came out. We give one to any customer spending $1000 and they can redeem it later for a free water lily plant ($39.99 value).

I suppose the 2003 one Lats could be similarly used for a pest control business!
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
920 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2010  7:54 pm  Show Profile Check jgfindring's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jgfindring to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just so the people coming in late can see what you are talking about.
Up to 350 Countries now! Working on Canadian, Australian and Euro type sets.
Completed US sets:Lincoln Memorial w/ proof;Lincoln Shield w/proof;Jefferson w/proof;Roosevelt w/proof;Washington w/proof;Statehood w/proof;Franklin;Kennedy w/proof;Eisenhower w/proof;SBA w/proof;Sacagawea w/proof;Presidential w/proof.
Close: LWC missing 2; Liberty nickel missing 3; Mercs missing 1; Walkers missing 2. 7070 type set missing 11.
I AM A COLLECTOR! I don't care if the value is going to go up, down or sideways! I don't collect coins to get rich, but as a hobby to RELAX!
Pillar Of The Community
Philippines
1154 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2010  11:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nic to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
just very curious, why is there an ant on that coin?
tigers, lions, cougars, puma, elephants and a whole managerie of animals on coins yes.... but an ant?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2605 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2010  12:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add svslav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I looked up on the Latvian Bank website. There's no explanation for the choice of images that I could find, but I discovered more coins to dream of. It would be an interesting series to collect, more interesting (in my opinion) than collecting all years of LMC P/D/S/O/CC... .

Quote:
The Bank of Latvia continues to diversify the design of Latvian money issuing 1-lats coins depicting signs, images and events characteristic of Latvia. These coins are minted in a limited amount (250 000-1 000 000 coins) with no additional issues.
The 1-lats coin featuring a stork was struck in 2001 by Rahapaja Oy (Finland). Artist: Olga Silova.
The 1-lats coin featuring an ant was struck in 2003 by Rahapaja Oy (Finland). Artists: Maris Putns, Artis Zvirgzdins, Davids Rubins (graphic design), Ligita Franckevica (plaster model).
The 1-lats coin featuring a mushroom was struck in 2004 by Rahapaja Oy (Finland). Artists: Guntars Sietins (graphic design), Janis Strupulis (plaster model).
The 1-lats coin featuring a fairytale character Spriditis was struck in 2004 by Royal Dutch Mint (the Netherlands). Artist: Ivars Mailitis.
The 1-lats coin featuring the rooster on the spire of St. Peter's church in Riga was struck in 2005 by British Royal Mint (United Kingdom). Artists: Valdis Villeruss (graphic design), Ligita Franckevica (plaster model).
The 1-lats coin featuring a pretzel was struck in 2005 by Münze Österreich (Austria). Artists: Laimonis Senbergs (graphic design), Janis Strupulis (plaster model).
The 1-lats coin featuring a profile of Ligo night (summer solstice) celebrant adorned with a wreath was struck in 2006 by Rahapaja Oy (Finland). Artists: Dace Liela (graphic design), Ligita Franckevica (plaster model). The 1-lats coin featuring a pinecone was also struck in 2006 by Rahapaja Oy (Finland). Artists: Henrihs Vorkals (graphic design), Janis Strupulis (plaster model).
The 1-lats coin featuring an owl fibula was struck in 2007 by Münze Österreich (Austria). Artists: Arvids Priedite (graphic design), Janis Strupulis (plaster model). The 1-lats coin featuring a snowman was also struck in 2007 by Münze Österreich (Austria). Artists: Daina Lapina (graphic design), Ligita Franckevica (plaster model).
The 1-lats coin featuring a waterlily was struck in 2008 by Rahapaja Oy (Finland). Artists: Aleksandrs Chaidze (graphic design), Laura Medne (plaster model). The 1-lats coin featuring a Chimney-sweep was struck in 2008 by Rahapaja Oy (Finland). Artists: Daina Lapina (graphic design), Laura Medne (plaster model).
The 1-lats coin featuring a Namejs ring was struck in 2009 by Staatliche Münze Berlin (Germany). Artists: Ilze Libiete (graphic design), Baiba Šime (plaster model). The 1-lats coin featuring a Christmas tree was struck in 2009 by Staatliche Münze Berlin (Germany). Artists: Arvids Priedite (graphic design), Ligita Franckevica (plaster model).
The 1-lats coin featuring a toad was struck in 2010 by Staatliche Münze Berlin (Germany). Artists: Edgars Folks (graphic design), Jānis Stupulis (plaster model).

Pillar Of The Community
1145 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2010  8:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chrisild to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, the common denominator is, in my opinion, what you quoted in that first sentence - "signs, images and events characteristic of Latvia". Sure, some of the plants or animals depicted are common elsewhere in Europe, maybe elsewhere too, but others are quite characteristic. The Namejs Ring (2009) for example, is "typically Latvian" or Baltic. Or take Sprīdītis, the little guy on the EU membership coin (2004) - a character created (or at least popularized) by a Latvian writer ...

Christian
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2605 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2010  6:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add svslav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
New addition to my family, courtesy of jgfindring

Valued Member
India
265 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2010  6:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add palaniappan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hello friends, these 1 lat coins are very amazing, I have the latest toad coin.

warm wishes.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
920 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2010  10:47 pm  Show Profile Check jgfindring's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jgfindring to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
See, now I'm going to have to start trying to put together a collection of these.
Up to 350 Countries now! Working on Canadian, Australian and Euro type sets.
Completed US sets:Lincoln Memorial w/ proof;Lincoln Shield w/proof;Jefferson w/proof;Roosevelt w/proof;Washington w/proof;Statehood w/proof;Franklin;Kennedy w/proof;Eisenhower w/proof;SBA w/proof;Sacagawea w/proof;Presidential w/proof.
Close: LWC missing 2; Liberty nickel missing 3; Mercs missing 1; Walkers missing 2. 7070 type set missing 11.
I AM A COLLECTOR! I don't care if the value is going to go up, down or sideways! I don't collect coins to get rich, but as a hobby to RELAX!
Valued Member
United States
350 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2010  3:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SeriousCERES to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These are stunning!! Tips on tracking some of these down? I don't need PCGS slabbed MS70 first strikes to be happy, either!

Pillar Of The Community
9147 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2010  3:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting post!
I want some of these too....
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2605 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2010  4:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add svslav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, why is "the ant" so expensive ($12)? Good thing I already have it!

By the way, I have no idea how I got mine, I think as a part of a set.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1717 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2010  4:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pls to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Wow, why is "the ant" so expensive ($12)?

Consider the ant as contrasted to the lion. Have you ever seen an ant at rest? S/he is always moving, working, transporting, grooming, caring for the queen ... etc.

The lion? Sleeping, at least most of the time.

Put a fire ant and a lion in the same space. Which one is mostly likely to bite the other first?

Having made that point ... I rather like the 'shroom lat ...
United States
2485 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2010  5:23 pm  Show Profile Check xshift's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add xshift to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like this one: http://www.latviancoins.lv/index.ph...oduct_id=108 - how's that for a 1 Lats!

Santa, are you listening?!
Our members sell on eBay! | And so do I

*Seeking coin images for the Coin Inscription Project at coinscriptions.com - please let me know if you can help!*
Valued Member
United States
350 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2010  5:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SeriousCERES to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Here's a very pretty slabbed one, if anyone's in a hurry (ends tonight):

http://cgi.ebay.com/2007-LATVIA-7-S...em3f04a342d4

Valued Member
United States
350 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2010  5:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SeriousCERES to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did they make proof examples of these? Is 12 for the ant a bit high? (Don't suppose there's any good way to even know!)
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.12 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05