Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

OMG Im livid

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member
Canada
209 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2010  2:02 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add gord to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I just got back from The travelling "Canadian Collectors Roadshow" as they call themselves that was held in Poco BC. I have some 67 silver BU dollars I though I might cash in for some extra cash for Christmas. Anyway..So I get there and they send me over to a table with the guy to look at my coins.First thing he says.."Typically we give 4 dollars for 1 coin".I said HUH?!! 4 bucks for a silver dollar? yup hes says ..I say ok give me the coins back..he says well..we can work with you on that..I say..ok what do you think of this coin? (its a 1953SF Far mule nickel)
He looks at it and gives it back says its worthless..no silver ...so I tell him what it is and then say he doesn't know the first thing about coins and can only calculate silver content and rips people off anyway.
The "Expert " at the next table overhears and interjects when he hears about the mule..Hi I'm Randy. Can I see your mule.."IM the coin guy"..so I say, well why the heck am I talking to this guy if your the coin guy...He looks at the mule and says ya its a mule,.. about 100 dollars....My mule is worth at least 3 times if not4 or 5 times more than that. I asked where they were getting the numbers they were quoting ?I asked do you have a Charlton or a trends magazine......nothing...Just a bunch of crooks ripping people off in the name of "The Canadian Collectors Roadshow"...Beware if they come to your town..Oh Im mad!

Pillar of the Community
United States
650 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2010  2:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fcrazo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Same thing happens when similar groups come to area hotels.
Canada
5 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2010  2:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add silvergoldwealth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the heads up. I don't know much about collector coins but $4 for a silver dollar? They are out of their minds!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
606 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2010  2:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add collectall to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't frequent these types of coin shows.After reading this I think my presence will now be O . Thanks for the post. Very interesting.
Valued Member
Canada
209 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2010  2:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gord to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes Collectall I don't either .However these guys portrayed themselves(at least IMO) as the roadshow of TV fame..There is a Canadian version .Again thats how I perceived their Advertising and branding..I just phoned J&M...they would buy the same coin for 14.56 as opposed to 4 bucks...aaarrrrgggg.Wonder how it feels to rip off unsuspecting grannies etc..

edited for typos
Edited by gord
11/26/2010 2:40 pm
Valued Member
United States
123 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2010  5:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Numisnut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They came to a hotel near me a while back so I thought I would take some coins over and see what was up.After waiting for "The Silver Dollar Guy" I handed him about 15 Morgans to look at that were all in AU or better but they were mostly common dates.Without even looking at the coins he said he would give me 12 dollars each for them.I promptly took my dollars back and went home. These guys are touring the country just taking advantage of people who don't know any difference.They do say in their ad "Roadshow" thinking that people will confuse them with "Antiques Roadshow" from PBS stations on T.V. Crooks.
Canada
5 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2010  5:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add silvergoldwealth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well considering an oz of silver is hovering around $27, I think you sell it privately for more than $12 or $14.
Valued Member
Canada
276 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2010  6:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rodime to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yup. And those guys are taking advantage of people, but ... well ... people are lazy and if they're unwilling to learn what their stuff is really worth, well...
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1549 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2010  6:39 pm  Show Profile Check glenzy1's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add glenzy1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Golden rule to follow in LIFE regardless of what you have to sell: " do your research as to what the item is worth, then shop around for where you will get the best offer." NEVER SETTLE FOR ANYTHING LESS!

Glenn
Pillar of the Community
Canada
597 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2010  6:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add IBGolden to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They were called the "Great Canadian Roadshow" last I seen... taking out full page newspaper ads with extremely rare items pictured along with their values. This would prompt people to bring in their stuff... seeing a silver dollar worth thousands... and arriving with hope, but typically being fleeced especially on gold and silver items.

They are the Canadian division of a U.S. company called "Treasure Hunters Roadshow"(< corrected in edit). I will find the link to a newspaper reporter's test of this company... the results are, well, sad really.

Worse, there was a lineup for the 9 days when this company outfit was in my town. And there are plenty of local companies buying gold and silver at a decent/fair rate... they have newspaper adds as well, yet the name chosen, and the ads placed by this outfit just packed these folks in... and a lot of older individuals... like I said, sad really.

The link I will provide... I had printed out the article(and another) and presented it to the front desk of the hotel hosting the show. He said that the atmosphere was almost intimidating with the setup for having items appraised(eg. like sitting in a lawyer's office!), and that more than a few people had left just shaking their heads.

An educated consumer, well... I just don't know. I wanted to post something in the lobby and tell these people to shop local. Well, that wasn't gonna happen, but the article I gave the front desk did stay on the desk.

>>> edit... Just to back up some facts VVVV.
http://www.simcoereformer.ca/Articl...px?e=2784582

>>> 2nd edit... What I was flappin' me gums about! VVV.
http://www.theexaminer.com/main.asp...ticleID=3679

The Canadian version of this company as mentioned above, just did a major tour in central Canada. Just google the news items to see where they've been. Oddly enough, the local press seem to always report on ONE astonishing find... after their gone!

>>> 3rd edit... I make mistakes when I get all flabblasted and try to type too fast... I will now talk like a stereotypical western, grizzled prospector for the rest of the day... tarnations.
Edited by IBGolden
11/26/2010 7:27 pm
Learn More...
United States
14000 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2010  6:56 pm  Show Profile Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't you love so called "coin guys". Nothing but con-men. You can bet everything they sell is overpriced.
Edited by vermontensium
11/26/2010 6:58 pm
Valued Member
Canada
299 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2010  9:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uncle al to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have just moved into this neighborhood and know only a couple of people. One person that knows I collect coins suggested to another neighbor, who had 100 silver dollar coins to sell, was looking at the newspaper article about someone staying at a motel and offering $6 per one dollar of silver. I went over to here residence and looked at them. I told her I could get ten dollars for every silver dollar. She could not believe that so I took them to J & M coins in Vancouver where I did get the ten dollars per one dollar of silver, this is about three months ago. A difference of four hundred dollars, and she was totally shocked at the difference. She used the extra money for when she flew to Australia. They remind me of the commercial on TV where they advertise cash for gold. No conscience.
Learn More...
United States
14000 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2010  10:04 pm  Show Profile Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, nothing wrong with making a profit but ripping people off is just wrong. It's greed.
Canada
5 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2010  10:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add silvergoldwealth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Enforcer al, that was really nice of you help out this lady. Good for you!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1248 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2010  11:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hhbkiddo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is a guy operating out of Nanaimo. He calls himself "The gold and silver guy". He usually sets up a table in a mall and advertises in the local newspapers.
He was in Comox. (I know him briefly. we met a few years back when he had a coin and Stamp store in Nanaimo) at the time I was going to buy some coins from him. I had selected them and I wanted to pay. I handed him a Credit card and said: You obviously are not aware that coins are not bought with a credit card. I said you do accept cards... Yes he said, but then I have to charge you in US dollars.
Needless to say, I left his store. The store now has new owners, but I think there is still a (family relationship) connection.

So I took a 1945, a 1947 ML, a 1947 dot a 1938 and a 1948 and silver dollar together with a 1892 50 cent piece.
Dollars were at least AU55, the 50 C is at least EF45.
I also took my old (Real) Rolex (18K/ ssteel)
An attendant there, turns out to be his son, took the coins, counted them and said 5 silver dollars x 7 dollars each and 1x 50 cent x 4 Dollars.
The son handed the Rolex to his father. He checked it for the serial number and offered me $ 450 for it. It is conservatively worth $3,000 as is.

The father then said the coins are worth $ 39. But because they are nicer than many I have seen, I give you a bonus of $10.
He was already starting to put everything in plastic bag when I asked for all of it back. Then I said to the father: look at me....do you recognize me? He then blushed and started to use excuses that he is training his son....
I suggested he is an extreme dishonest person and that I personally believe he is a crook....
I left....
I never had any intentions to sell these coins... but just wanted to test the waters......
They were hot and deep...and full of sharks...
Valued Member
Canada
209 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2010  12:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gord to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IBGolden, thanks for the links to the articles..sounds like the same group of crooks I encountered...:(
Its just plain greed and lack of conscience.
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.95 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05