Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Numismatic Discussion Forums (Non Country Specific)
 Main Coin Forum

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

My continued dilemma breaking open proof/mint sets for album

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
johnstac
Valued Member
United States
276 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2010  12:11 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add johnstac to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I started purchasing proof/mint sets some time ago so that I could fill some dansco albums. To date, I still have not been able to bring myself to crack one open. I have an 84 proof set sitting in front of me and it's worth what....$5? I need all the coins in it. They just look so damm pretty where they are! I know I can buy a second one to look at. Maybe I have OCD or ADHD or something. It just almost seems like a crime. LOL.

Anyone with me here or had everyone got past it?

John

Edited by johnstac
11/28/2010 12:41 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1418 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2010  12:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tumbleweedtrumpet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't bring myself to do it either. It just seems like that is a set, and I would regret it later if I broke it open.
Valued Member
United States
188 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2010  12:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sprucansailor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just start buying two sets of each. LOL

They are your coins to do with and/or display as you see fit. If you can spend the extra for singles then that is probaly the way forward for you.
Edited by Sprucansailor
11/28/2010 12:37 am
Valued Member
United States
276 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2010  12:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add johnstac to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Case in point. I did end up breaking this set open. I filled my Lincoln. I also had danscos for quarters dimes and halves. When I went to the Roosevelt album, I saw that I already had an 84S in the slot but in looking at it as well as some of the other proofs, I realized that they were all oxidized. I replaced this one 84 but in comparing it to the rest, there is no way on Gods green earth, that I will replace them all again.

I don't take big steps to prevent my albums exposure to the elements. In fact they just sit in a plastic tote in my closet. But we have very low humidity here in Spokane and I don't expose the albums to heat/cold. Ambient temp probably 65-70F.

Another argument in favor of keeping proofs in the cases. If I died today and my wife was left with my collection, would she have more success with mint proof sets or coins in dansco albums? I'm thinking that whether she went to a coin shop or began selling them on eBay, a proof set is tangible and most people know what to expect. Individual coin grading is subjective and often argumentative; especially with someone with little numismatic experience.

Not sure what the answer is. Perhaps just selling off the danscos w/proofs and just buying the D/P type only. I would still like to hear from you all though.
Valued Member
United States
66 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2010  04:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scott hill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I personally leave all my sets in original pkg.seem a waste to breakm them out just to pay money on albums that could be used to purchase the things we all love and enjoy, more coins and besides unless your going to have them slabbed the sets are a great value in tact with government pkg, and papers
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
8615 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2010  06:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The answer is obvious to me..... get another '84 proof set, especially if you need all of the coins to fill different places in your albums. Especially if another '84 proof set won't set you back that much.

I did that once with a New Zealand proof set because I wanted one coin out of it to add to an all of World type set of Florins / 20c. pieces. Last count I had about 138 different types in silver and copper nickel. The coin that started it was a British Florin of 1849. The countries that issued these coins were either Great Britain or those of the British Commonwealth.

I also have a collection of 88 different types of square coins.
I am probably the only guy on the Planet mad enough to build such a collection!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2492 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2010  08:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tim Stroud to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will bust or cut that plastic open in a flash if I have a hole to fill. The rest go into 2x2's and then into a binder. I will hold onto the extras and trade them for other stuff.
Pay your taxes! 12 million illegal immigrants are depending on it.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."
Thomas Jefferson

Oldest Circulation Find ----- 1897S Barber quarter
Oldest Detector Find -------- 1803 Large cent

Pillar Of The Community
United States
12522 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2010  08:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I order many sets of each every year for Christmas Presents. Always keep some for breaking open for Albums. Been doing that for possibly over 30 years now and don't miss any old Mint made sets. If you are keeping those for an investment, then that may or many not be the best way to go. BUT, I've seen way to many proof and Uncirculated sets from the Mint selling for a fraction of the original cost anyway. Using the Red Book as an example, pages 338 and 339 in the 2011 edition you would see that the 1984 proof set is valued at several dollars less than the original cost. Even the ones there shown as an increase in value, you would never get that for them anywhere.
To sum it up, break out what you need and don't worry about tomorow.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
484 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2010  7:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add weavus135 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've dealt with this dilemma before as well. In fact, I started a thread about a year ago on it. Most said keep in the sets but I busted them any way. I don't have a way to look at or display these odd sized sets so into 2x2s they go so I can enjoy them.
Valued Member
United States
57 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2010  7:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add swiego to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For the less expensive, more common sets, I bought two. Many sets from the 70s, 80s, 90s are just a few dollars at shows, and dealers tend to be drowning in them. This is true for both mint and proof sets.

For the more expensive sets, I have been more selective and not filled those slots in any album except when I was able to strike upon 2x2 singles at shows with attractive price tags. For example I would be reluctant to crack open a 2010 mint set or proof set.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2604 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2010  11:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DNA to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Where's jbuck when we need him?

That guy's cracked open everything but a Lincoln Coin & Chronicles Set.

Quote:
Many sets from the 70s, 80s, 90s are just a few dollars at shows,
and dealers tend to be drowning in them.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over breaking up those...

GO: (Coin Collecting is) the only hobby that when you are broke you still have money.

DNA: "When you pay with cash, you KNOW when you're broke."

markn's US Silver Coin Melt Value Calculator
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
8615 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2010  01:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dealers break mint and uncirculated sets all the time so they can sell the coins individually for a greater amount. Very often, a customer will want a year that was not released for circulation, but was produced in a mint set. The customer is happy; he gets an uncirculated example of a scarce coin.

This is a fairly common occurrence with Australian coins
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3178 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2010  02:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add upstate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I won't crack them; although they're probably worth more individually.
I'm not in it for the money, so I don't care. They were meant to be in a set.
I don't own any albums that require proofs.
I do love proof sets and have quite a few. I don't understand why they're so cheap,
but again I don't care... well maybe a little. How can a proof set purchased 30 years
ago be worth less than it cost originally?
I guess if people keep cracking them open prices will rise for the sets.
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
21051 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2010  3:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Where's jbuck when we need him?

I also have three intact Prestige Proof Sets that I did not crack open (gifts from my mother). Everything else lives in a Dansco album now.
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5970 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2010  3:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eaglefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Yes he has ! ......

johnstac.....
Once upon a time.......I had the exact same "dilemma"..... in fact I think most of us have !
For the most part, "my" way of dealing with this, has just been to purchase "two" of the things I want. One to "crack" and one to "keep".
This way, all of my albums will stay current, and I can still keep any Proof, Silver Proof, or Uncirculated Sets that I want in their original O.G.P.'s. (and years from now, I could still choose to crack those too, if I wish !)
This is my "Ultra Modern" collecting theory. With the "regular Moderns", like the year you mentioned, I just went down to the coin shop and bought everything I could in the old Sets and went to crackin' them like a madman ! It was very exhilarating I must say ! Kind of like "lettin' the badger out of the cage", so to speak ! Man ! I REALLY went to town on them !
So that "broke me" of any reservations I may have previously held about "how purty" they looked remaining in their O.G.P.'s.
THEY LOOK MUCH PURTIER IN MY DANSCO'S ! ......
Edited by eaglefoot
11/29/2010 3:44 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
682 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2010  3:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spaceace to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I usually don't collect proofs. I get the Danscos with P/D only that way I only have to occasionally break a mint set and don't have to worry about breaking proof sets. I do have some proof sets (and I like the way proof sets look as a set) and get some proof coins but I don't have any Danscos with proofs.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.06 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05