Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Numismatic Discussion Forums (Non Country Specific)
 Tokens, Medals, and other Exonumia

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Help with 1855 1/2 California Gold

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
gilgerr24
Valued Member
United States
140 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2011  11:19 am Show Profile Check gilgerr24's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add gilgerr24 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

My friend ask me to look into this, I have no idea if it has any gold or what value might be. I guess it came from his grandparents safty deposit box. 1855 1/2 California Gold I am attaching 2 pictures hopefully this will help. Thanks in advance. Rob

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1928 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2011  12:56 pm  Show Profile Check XavierOfGreen's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add XavierOfGreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i just sold a similar 1852 dated piece for $18 on the eBay. Your piece likely worth at least that much, its actual value depends on when it was made as the date is no indicator since pieces dated in the 1850's were made continueously throughout the 1880's and onward.
Oldest Found-------
Cent: 1842 (from machine) ---- Three Cent: 1866 [Nickel] (from machine)
Nickel: 1883 (from roll) ---- Dime: 1911 (from roll)
Quarter: 1932 (from machine) ---- Half: 1917 (from roll)
Dollar: 1880 (from machine) ---- Foriegn: 1863 (from machine)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3193 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2011  1:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
replica 1/2 fractional gold pieces have a fox, bear, or some type of animal on the bottom of it. this is a replica, sorry. (i have the same replica piece, too.)
Edited by Adam_E
01/01/2011 1:10 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
592 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2011  7:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add IBGolden to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
'Tis indeed a modern replica... and I mean modern. Possibly made last year. Stamped out of bright brass, or "goldine".

ebay offers up hundreds of these tokens. The highly "stylized" bear is hardly recognizable with the obverse being little more than a line drawing. I've seen these things get into hundreds of dollars between low feedback/uninformed bidders(you can check their bid history, and see gold not being on the list). But, typically they sell for a few bucks... sure, again, sometimes more, but they aren't even really worth that. I will try again to find your specific token, but it's so new it may not be listed.

Real California fractional gold typically had the word dollar on it... typically. I would also refer to those as coins, not tokens (even though they were not government sanctioned, they were somewhat permissible as the need was there that could not be officially met).

The modern tourist tokens of course don't contain the word "dollar" and are still being produced. The older tourist tokens up until the 70's or so, did actually have gold or later gold plate and were made in California... and had a recognizable animal.

>>>edit>>> I can't find that crude of a piece listed... yet, or maybe Mike Locke(<Mr. Cal Gold himself) isn't going to bother listing such... You can take a look your self to see what's what anyway. >>> http://www.calgoldcoin.com/default.htm

>>>2nd edit>>> AAHAA! Here they are & yours may have actually been produced later than the coyright, but it's the closest I can get rite now... thanks again Mike!... & like I said, really not valuable... research people, research before buying. http://www.calgoldcoin.com/bear1.htm
Edited by IBGolden
01/01/2011 8:12 pm
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
13660 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2011  8:41 pm  Show Profile Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just sold one here for $5, what I paid for it at a show. They are not worth much more than that. Genuine pieces generally have the word DOL. for dollar or HALF DOL. There are also 25C fractionals as well.
Edited by vermontensium
01/01/2011 8:45 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1302 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2011  3:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I recall seeing these "so-called" tokens being retailed back in the 1970's. I say "so-called" as they never saw circulation as a money substitute. Sadly, I saw a number of these sell for $200 and up, each, at a local auction a few years ago. While the old saying, "ignorance is bliss" may hold true in some circles, ignorance among coin collectors can be quite costly! Caveat emptor ...
Valued Member
United States
140 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2011  1:55 pm  Show Profile Check gilgerr24's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add gilgerr24 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
well I took this to coin dealer and he said its a real replica. haha so worth nothing, but oh well still neat looking, even though its smaller than my fingernail.
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2011  6:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vhaar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think there pretty cool I have a Few in my collection and I still buy a few because I'm to poor to buy the real ones lol.
6 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2011  11:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cosmos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
... I would beware of these ellas answers... they probably are trying to tell you is is a fake so they can buy it for chaep...I did not see one link to any fact to support any claims of your coin being a fake...until so I believe sir what you have is genuine.
822 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2011  11:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scubu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You're funny. Maybe with the money, the OP can buy you some grammar and spelling lessons. You might actually learn to type a complete sentence while your making friends here.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3193 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2011  11:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"I did not see one link to any fact to support any claims of your coin being a fake...until so I believe sir what you have is genuine.

?

">>>edit>>> I can't find that crude of a piece listed... yet, or maybe Mike Locke(<Mr. Cal Gold himself) isn't going to bother listing such... You can take a look your self to see what's what anyway. >>> http://www.calgoldcoin.com/default.htm

>>>2nd edit>>> AAHAA! Here they are & yours may have actually been produced later than the copyright, but it's the closest I can get rite now... thanks again Mike!... & like I said, really not valuable... research people, research before buying. http://www.calgoldcoin.com/bear1.htm"

we probably shouldn't be feeding this troll but I love how simply he is just wrong.

if you own a Red Book, look in the back and find California gold.

it backs up everything we said about fakes.

or is that not "credible" enough for you?
6 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2011  12:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cosmos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
then where are the pictures of the real ones? maybe the "god of california gold could actually post pics of a "genuine coin with the going price then? ..or he's not sure either. ..."so everyone that has this coin put it on eBay for .99 cents, its a fake...its a phoney... .then we can buy it off you and sell it for a much higher price". you guys are so busted!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3193 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2011  12:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
wait, WHAT? when did we EVER say that we were going to buy this form him? YOU need to get your facts straight, and YOU need to learn to be more respectful to our MOST VALUABLE members that actually do have FACTS.

do YOU want a picture of a real one?

how about two?

here:

notice the LACK of animal on the reverse

AND if you even LOOKED at the link, it had at LEAST 50 pictures of real AND fake ones.
Edited by Adam_E
06/22/2011 12:26 am
6 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2011  12:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cosmos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
..lets be honest...there are some definite replicas..and some are harder to find than others..but there is a class of these coins that continue to hold a high value because of their controversy.. EVERY listing I have ever seen (hundreds is a total exaggeration btw....go ahead eBay search 1857 and 1852 California 1/2 how many come up on any given day? 3? 5? noway neavr the exaggerated 100 one of you claim. I dont thnk you helped that fellow I think you took advantage of him. im not going to post my coins because youll all just say faaaake..phoneey. and show a link that proves it is unsure of itself.. wikipedia helllllllppp!!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3193 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2011  12:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
here is a DIRECT quote from the Red Book

"BEWARE of EXTREMELY common modern replicas- often having a BEAR in the design, which have LITTLE to NO numismatic value"

and PLEASE show me a QUOTE where one of us said that there are HUNDREDS of them being listed on eBay?
Edited by Adam_E
06/22/2011 12:35 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3193 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2011  12:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
P.S.

there are actually hundreds

154 to be exact

http://coins.shop.ebay.com/Gold-/39...3286.c0.m282
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05