Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Why you should collect Newfoundland coins.

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13
Valued Member
Canada
130 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2011  02:41 am Show Profile Check fredor's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add fredor to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I'm hoping to drum up some interest in collecting this fantastic closed set. I first became interested in NFLD collecting when I realized that I was going to have a hard time getting every Canadian coin. I wasn't even aware that NFLD had it's own currency until I found a nice 1880 20 cent piece online and it was looking like I would get a stellar deal if I bid on it. I did and won, and at that point I decided my chances of completing the NFLD set were a lot higher than completing the Canadian set.

Newfoundland coinage consists of 8 different coins and were minted from 1865 to 1947.
I've included a picture of each monarch in the different sets.

Large Cents
1864 Specimen Strike only
1865-1936 Circulation Strikes

Small Cents
1938-1947

5 Cents
1865-1947

10 Cents
1865-1947

20 Cents
1865-1912

25 Cents
1917-1919

50 Cents
1870-1919

2 Dollars (Gold)
1865-1888

All of these are out of my collection except for the 2 dollar gold as I haven't started collecting those yet. Apologies for bad grades on a few :)

None of these groups have full consecutive dates.
There were a few decade long breaks with no new coins minted.
Few coins broke the 500k mintage numbers with many having under 100k minted and some as low as 2,500.

If one were to try to get one of each date you would only need to find about 132 coins! With varieties that number can easily double!

Newfoundland coins have far been undervalued and it's almost a running joke in Canadian Numismatics that they one day will pick up and show their true value based on the rarity. This will only happen if more people get interested in collecting them. There are some extremely rare examples that don't show up too often and when they do command a high price. From what I can tell getting a Victoria portrait in mint state is extremely tough and you better be willing to shell out thousands to find them. They are mostly available in VF but anything EF or higher is very difficult. The prices are low for the rarity but just finding them available to buy is the hardest part. There are still quite a few of the 1940's coins in MS.

Some of the rarest coins to keep an eye out are the 1873 5 cent piece which even in G-4 can command hundreds of dollars. The 1880 $2.00 gold piece has only 2500 minted. It's quite exciting to search for all these.

I've seen some interest on the forums in figuring out some of the 1899 20 cent varieties. Hopefully I can help illuminate some of it. A friend of mine is writing a book on all the NFLD varieties he has been investigating and it will be very very thorough. This is all the fruits of his research and he gave me permission to post some of this stuff. He has found about 5 major varieties of the 1899 20 cent with a few minor varieties. One thing to note is that it isn't worth distinguishing between a small 99 and a large 99 variety if they are below a VF 30 grade. Of the hundreds of coins he has checked out the small 99 have all been weakly struck on the reverse. Especially in the words CENTS. The prices in the Charlton for small 99 variety are grossly exaggerated in the lower grades as finding a small 99 in VF20 or lower is very easy. Of the hundreds my friend has looked at he hasn't found a single small 99 above EF40 grade. ICCS has graded a few higher but with close examination they are actually Large 99 varieties and finding out what their criteria for grading the differences just doesn't look like it will happen.

The easiest way to determine a large 99 and a small 99 is to look at the foot of the T in CENTS. The large 99s all have a long foot while the small 99 have a short foot.

The first I want to show is the Large 99 Wide Date, the last 9 is closer to the right than the the Narrow Date

The next is the Large 99 Narrow Date:

The third is the Small 99 Even Date:

The fourth is Small 99 Low 9, the second 9 is noticeably lower than the first 9:

The fifth is the hooked 99:

Here's another noted variety in the charlton. The 1940 Re-Engraved date. Note the letters and date both show doubling.

If you are looking for a good resource on NFLD coins there aren't really any out at the moment and I must admit that there are some very questionable coins listed in the Charlton. Recently this year in the 2011 edition a 4th variety was listed for the 1898 50 cent piece. It's Portrait 2 Large W. As far as anyone can tell, these coins don't exist and if they do they are worth a LOT more than the price listed. I suspect Bill Charlton knows they don't exist but he included them in this years Charlton on the off chance they do and he will be able to purchase them cheaply. This isn't the only example of coins that are listed that don't exist. Portrait 1 small 96 and portrait 2 large 96 for the 20 cent pieces definitely aren't around. I can elaborate on the different portraits and some of the problems with the Charlton guide if anyone is interested.

I've only been collecting for about a year now but I'm only 25 so I have many years ahead of me and I hope to finish the NFLD set in the next 10 years. I've quite lofty goals of acquiring every NFLD coin with varieties in very good grades and so far everything has been going great!
If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Edited by fredor
01/03/2011 5:06 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1549 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2011  05:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add glenzy1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am saddened that I do not collect Newfoundland coins. I don't know what it is, but I can't seem to get attracted to Nfld. Coinage and believe me, I've tried hard!

For now I'll have to stick to my Canadian business strikes, but maybe someday when I wake up, I'll smell the roses?

Glenn
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2304 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2011  09:35 am  Show Profile Check carmykle's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add carmykle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, I picked up a few when we landed in Gander once, but never like these. After we landed in Gander, not only did we buy them out of coins, but they were so nice and hospitable I think we bought out their gift shops too.

By the way, the true testament to my second statement occurred after 911. Several thousand people were stranded in Gander after US airspace was closed. Gander opened their homes and their hearts to strangers and treated them as their own.

I gotta get more NFLD coins!
Money can't buy happiness, but it sure makes misery easier to live with.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4887 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2011  10:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the info on the '99s.I have a few in low grades and have never been able to differentiate the large or small 99.I'll see if I can dig them up tonight and have a look at the T's.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3259 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2011  11:33 am  Show Profile Check Libertad's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add Libertad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What other coins in our books don't exist?!?! I hope this is an "isolated" incident.
Selling paper money: http://gtacoins.ecrater.com
Want to Buy or Trade: Nuevos Pesos Méxicanos (UNC): P95, P96, P97, P98, P99, P105a and P105b.
Nickel, not Nickle :)
Valued Member
Canada
307 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2011  11:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add guppie1160 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Newfoundland coins have far been undervalued

never a truer comment was spoken...I have been dabbling in NFLD for a few years now....I have a collection and as the chance to upgrade comes along I do so, but I will admit that I don't pay attention to them as much as they deserve....come to think about it that is what my wife says about her when I take out the coins to play
Valued Member
Canada
130 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2011  3:12 pm  Show Profile Check fredor's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add fredor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What other coins in our books don't exist?!?! I hope this is an "isolated" incident.

I lent out my 2011 Charlton but the three I've never come across are the

50 Cent 1898 Portrait 2 Large W
20 Cent Portrait 1 Small 96
20 Cent Portrait 2 Large 96

In the off chance that they do somehow exist buy them immediately as they would be extremely rare. The price Bill Charlton has listed is the same as their counterparts, which makes no sense if they do exist given their rarity. So you would be able to pick them up very cheaply if you found them. Which I suspect Bill Charlton is hoping he can do as well.
I'll attach a photo of the different portraits for the 50 cent pieces and the 20 cent pieces.

The first picture is the portrait 1 variety for 50 cents and the second is portrait 2. Ignore the descriptions in the Charlton about laurel leaves poking into legend bands. The easiest way to determine which is which is by looking at the upper lip.

Portrait 1 has a curved "c" like look to it while the Portrait 2 is mostly smooth. The reason they changed them is to update the queen's look.

Next is the 20 cent portraits
Portrait 1 is the young queen effigy. There are a number of ways to tell the difference between the two but at first I just looked at the space between the "A" in Victoria and how close the forehead is to the base of it in the different effigys. The Portrait 1 almost touches the whole base while portrait 2 slopes off.

Quote:
never a truer comment was spoken...I have been dabbling in NFLD for a few years now....I have a collection and as the chance to upgrade comes along I do so, but I will admit that I don't pay attention to them as much as they deserve....come to think about it that is what my wife says about her when I take out the coins to play

As I mentioned there are only around a 130 to get Set a grade for each monarch and get to it! Getting the Vickies in over F is quite the task though.

Quote:
Thank you for the info on the '99s.I have a few in low grades and have never been able to differentiate the large or small 99.I'll see if I can dig them up tonight and have a look at the T's.

You can post pictures and I'll try to help out.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6029 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2011  5:02 pm  Show Profile Check SHAFTA9a's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SHAFTA9a to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very imformative posts on Newfoundland coinage.

I, like some of the others have a collection of Newfoundland coins, but yours fredor, are awesome!

Nice collection, and Welcome to the Forums.
True North
Edited by SHAFTA9a
01/03/2011 5:04 pm
Valued Member
Canada
130 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2011  5:26 pm  Show Profile Check fredor's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add fredor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just as I posted the note about there being no 20 cent portrait 2 Large 96 available I find one on eBay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Newfoundland-18...t_500wt_1156
On close examination though CCCS has incorrectly identified it as that is most definitely a portrait 1 not portrait 2. I was actually excited for a minute there.
Valued Member
India
265 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2011  7:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add palaniappan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
very nice coins from new foundland. I like to collect them too.

warm wishes.
Valued Member
Canada
55 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2011  7:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Biggrassboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great info! I believe Newfoundland coins will rise in value when they seperate from Canada and start making their own currency again. Let's hope not too many start collecting them though, with such low mintages, there's not enough to go around LOL!
Valued Member
Canada
183 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2011  7:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add david mackenzie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice start on your Newfoundland coin collection.Now Newfoundland paper money is getting hard to find.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4887 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2011  8:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice holders coinsrfun!
Valued Member
Canada
130 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2011  8:24 pm  Show Profile Check fredor's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add fredor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That 1873H ! So nice. VF30 is the grade I'm actually hoping for one day. I know I'll have to shell out a lot for it :(
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1713 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2011  8:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canadian_coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
14k - Wow, that's a real bargain.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4887 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2011  8:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coinsrfun,thanks for sharing photos of these scarce coins.Are the Obv1 and the H the highest graded?
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 5.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05