Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Why you should collect Newfoundland coins.

Previous Page | Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4814 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2011  9:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And they're gone!It was nice to see if only for a few minutes.
Edited by DBM
01/03/2011 9:08 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1705 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2011  9:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canadian_coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, at 14k they sure sold in a minute or two.

Valued Member
United States
127 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2011  9:28 pm  Show Profile Check Bilboleslie's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Bilboleslie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm very pleased to see the posting here on Newfoundland coins, which have long been an (undeveloped) interest of mine. As you can imagine, they are tough to collect anywhere outside of Canada (and perhaps in Canada as well.) I've long thought that it would be fun to work on a collection of early Canadian coins. At this point, I have started my collection with:
Newfoundland 1 cent 1880
10 cents 1917
20 cents 1912
50 cents 1904

Bank of Upper Canada 1 penny 1854 (holed - one of my first coins ever)

Nova Scotia 1 cent 1861

Look forward to more on this topic. I agree - this is a fun, bite-sized series. Ignoring varieties, it's a manageable series, if, perhaps, one ignores gold.
Valued Member
Canada
92 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2011  11:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add OldCoinGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you don't want to take on a complete collection, how about a type set? I am intrigued enough to try one.
Valued Member
Canada
130 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2011  8:43 pm  Show Profile Check fredor's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add fredor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cents are definitely easiest for these. There are only two key dates. 1885 and 1888. Everything else is very manageable to get in around VF-EF.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1723 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2011  9:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pls to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting thread - good job, all. I do have one or two Newfoundland coins in my possession - but never enough!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2605 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2011  10:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add svslav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the comprehensive post!
I collect types, and I have 16 NFLD coins. So, it looks like I have only three to go (I won't even bother considering gold $2). Unless I come across any varieties.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1248 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2011  11:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hhbkiddo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
how about 1880 small zero ?
Valued Member
United States
329 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2011  2:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dan-in-crystal-lake to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, the 1880 oval O is the kicker in the large cent group
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11129 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2011  5:48 pm  Show Profile Check biokemist6's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have one, 1896 20 cent
ANA R-3151318
Valued Member
United States
394 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2011  03:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

http://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/all...aspx?s=16703

However, these sets owned by a friend are even cooler. His one cent collection is probably a bit better than mine also, but he hasn't posted it.

http://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/all...aspx?s=53927

http://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/all...aspx?s=54379

http://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/all...aspx?s=74091

http://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/all...aspx?s=75294
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4814 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2011  10:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for sharing,really appreciate the photos with your set,still wiping drool from my keyboard.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
693 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2011  10:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coinsrfun to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
still as stunning as the first time I saw them.....the old fella's stuff is nice 2....:-)
Valued Member
United States
329 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2011  11:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dan-in-crystal-lake to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bosox, I never get tired of looking at your red coins!
Valued Member
Learn More...
Canada
268 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2011  11:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Meldercat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Considering the low mintages you would think there would be greater interest. I recently sold my collection and converted the cash into Roman Imperial coins. I had a complete run of half dollars and varieties. Beautiful coins.
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.17 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05