Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Why you should collect Newfoundland coins.

Previous Page | Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13
Valued Member
Canada
365 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2011  2:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kitkat1858 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
you're getting out of coins you say... are you selling any of your 1873 5 cents?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
958 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2011  2:56 pm  Show Profile Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
do to post restrictions I am not allowed to say.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
581 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2011  01:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MrCanada to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This thread is great to have come across, I just made the plunge and went Newfie today and bought a 20 cent lot 11 dates and 17 50 cent pieces. I tried bids on lots of 1 and 5 cent date sets nice grades f or better for most. They went for very little still a bargain for sure.
I decided a while ago to put together a marintine set.I think it's undervalued it would not take to many people like myself to get interested and gobble up those low mintages.I will post pics when I get them, 28 dates/varieties.
Valued Member
Canada
130 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2011  12:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fredor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's awesome! I can definitely say that you aren't losing money and should almost always be able to turn a profit on your newfie coins.

If anyone has any questions about varieties just ask!
Valued Member
Canada
365 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2011  3:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kitkat1858 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mr. Canada, glad to hear that this post has inspired you to pursue Newfoundland coins.
Valued Member
Canada
116 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2011  12:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EY_Pep to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I actually came across some NFLD coins in change while visiting St. John's last year.
All this discussion and my starter coins have convinced me to start collecting them.
Is there a good reference list online for NFLD coins?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1551 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2011  7:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add glenzy1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Check out this RARE Newfoundland, P.C.G.S. 1873 , VF-35, nickel that just came up for auction. E-bay item # 190562164679.

Glenn
Valued Member
Canada
130 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2011  8:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fredor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That one is pretty nice Glen, but check out #320736899149 Looks to be in better condition and it's an open auction :)
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1491 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2011  9:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dialog_gvf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmmm. The PGCS one looks like it has leprosy (some will get the irony).

Such a high grade raw coin on eBay requires a certain amount of suspicion, doesn't it? This is something that screams needing to be verified.

Things that disturb me on the obverse:

The left dot seems too large and perhaps not centered between the V and N properly (looks closer to the V)
The second : in D:G: - That looks wrong. The dots are too big. And they are too low, with the lower dot below the legend band. And the top serif on the G looks wrong too.

Anyone with a coin in hand that can validate these as legitimate quirks of the 1873 Obv 1?

Edited by dialog_gvf
08/03/2011 9:23 pm
Valued Member
Canada
130 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2011  11:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fredor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can definitely confirm the D:G: are in the right position as mine I have here looks the same, but I have the 1873H so I can't check the left dot.
Valued Member
Canada
130 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2011  11:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fredor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actually looking closely at the G's neither of mine match book images or any of the coins I've seen. I can't find any coins that match book images either. They all look so mangled on the serifs... Might be how they all are.
Valued Member
Canada
291 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2011  10:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tamarin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, thank goodness for Newfie coins. They are hot at the moment and are my best seller when I sell privately or put coins up for auction. It has been a long, long, long time coming. And they deserve their time in the sun.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1491 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2011  8:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dialog_gvf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's another 1873 NF-1: 150642429739

What are the odds?

Compare the serif, and the position and size of the dots.
Edited by dialog_gvf
08/04/2011 8:09 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1491 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2011  8:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dialog_gvf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

BTW, anyone know the story on the 1873 and 1873H Newfoundland 5c?

The combined mintage is claimed to be 40K, but clearly that is way out of whack with the observed rarity. Is this another mint/melt like 1921?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1711 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2011  8:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parklane64 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting thread. Nova Scotia had coins? Any other pre-confederation issues from provinces?

Yes, I have a few Newfies.

No jokes, just the facts.....
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Shop at PDS Coins!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.02 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05