Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Possible 1985 one dollar error bill

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member

United States
232 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2011  2:46 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add spring423 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hi
New to this forum and I have several questions concerning a 1985 one dollar bill. I received this bill approx 25 yrs ago. Found it to be unusual and put it away with other currency where it remained until I was going through some old items. My questions are is the bill legit as I believe it is, and would there be any interest in this bill or should I return it to where it was for the past 25 yrs. Someone told ne it is just a novelty item and keep it as such. The serial number on the bill is K71338053G. Just looking for any info that anyone can give as I am not a coin or currency collector. Thanks for any help

Valued Member
United States
286 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2011  2:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add northwestseeker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
looks like someone bought a sheet and cut them wrong... I could be wrong
Valued Member
United States
232 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2011  2:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spring423 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK Thanks I will return it where it came from appreciate the info
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4362 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2011  3:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Canadian-Banknotes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
looks like someone bought a sheet and cut them wrong... I could be wrong

I don't collect American notes, but this looks to be more than a cutting error. The left serial number is "out of register"
Want to Buy: PCGS Graded 1878-S Morgan dollar (PO-01)
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11168 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2011  3:06 pm  Show Profile Check biokemist6's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NOOOOOOOO! DO NOT RETURN IT ANYWHERE! Based on the smallish pics, it is certainly an error and one that would be quite valuable. Larger pics will be needed to ascertain definitive authenticity but I like what I am seeing so far.

northwestseeker- someone did not cut up a full sheet, the serial number is wrong for that not to mention that the 3rd print is actually centered correctly while the 1st and 2nd prints are off.
ANA R-3151318
Pillar of the Community
Canada
606 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2011  3:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add collectall to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am not a "bill collector" persay,but can't the mint create an error like this? I've seen botched cutting jobs done by the guillotine operator before and somehow got overlooked. Into circulation they went.(I assume bills made in the U.S. use similar operations as in Canada)
Edited by collectall
01/27/2011 3:09 pm
Valued Member
United States
232 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2011  3:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spring423 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry what I meant when I said I would return it to where it came from was to return it to the metal box with other bill and coins that I kept over the years
Pillar of the Community
United States
1342 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2011  3:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add w1a9c8k5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spring hopefully your still viewing this post. I hope you didn't just take the first opinion and leave. The bill could be a great collectable and potentially really valueable.
Valued Member
United States
232 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2011  3:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spring423 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Stupid question how would I post larger pictures. I tried to originally and it would not accept any over 100KB
Pillar of the Community
Canada
606 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2011  3:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add collectall to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys.Now I really believe it is a true mint error.Congatulations spring423 on that find.Holing it for all these years,paid off
Edited by collectall
01/27/2011 3:24 pm
Valued Member
United States
125 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2011  3:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add luckyrollers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nice kept treasure you got there!
Valued Member
United States
286 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2011  3:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add northwestseeker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
oooooh I didnt look at the serial....
Pillar of the Community
United States
1397 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2011  8:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nickelman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If that note is legit it would be worth a few normal dollars :)
I'm thinking between 3 to 4 HUNDRED of them (depending on condition of course and if it were to be graded high). Oh on that note you would want to have it graded as it would certainly be worth more.

Do you have photo shop? One way to post a larger picture is to size it then photo shop gives you size options when saving so you can adjust how large the file would be.

Quote:
oooooh I didnt look at the serial....

lol or the fact that the overprinting is obviously not from an uncut sheet ;)
Edited by Nickelman
01/27/2011 8:26 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1166 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2011  10:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikandiggit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is fantastic! It's a pleasure to see an authentic one after all those fakes posted on the auction sites.

I'm very envious!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1397 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2011  11:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nickelman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh btw... to the forum.

One more thing about that note. Assuming it is legit the thing it has going for it is the shifted face is both on the front and the back of the note AND both side show part of another note. Those are the more valuable ones.

Take mine for example

Both front and back are shifted but only the front shows part of another note.

Also I took the liberty of looking at your pics in photo shop. The height/width ratio is good for a normal note for the top picture (starting at the top and ending where the printing stops), but the bottom one is off. I suspect you cropped the side off of that picture since the margins are so small. The back side margins of that note should be larger than the front. I would really like to see some better scans.

Valued Member
United States
232 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2011  08:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spring423 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info concerning this dollar bill. I have attempted to upload bigger and better pictures of the dollar bill, but so far no luck. I will try later to upload better pictures. Again thanks for everyone's help.
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsShop at PDS Coins!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 7.02 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05