Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1875S Twenty Cent Piece - Grade Opinion

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1020 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2011  12:13 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add docsfishn to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I'm looking for grade opinions on this 1875S Twenty Cent Piece. I'm also looking for any opinions on resale value. Thanks for any and all comments.

Valued Member
United States
431 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2011  12:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ACE Mike to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hard to tell from the picture. It appears to have been saved at a very low jpeg quality, which makes the coin appear to be a fake. Note how each of the stars on the obverse has a different shape. Try saving the picture at a higher jpeg quality, which will increase the file size, but give us a better view of what the coin really looks like.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1020 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2011  12:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add docsfishn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just weighed it and it is exactly 5.0 grams just as it should be. I had to save the file so it was under 100k so it would upload. I'm still learning the picture thing.
Valued Member
United States
431 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2011  12:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ACE Mike to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Based on the picture, you have a VF-20 coin there. As you know, 20 cent pieces are very desirable. Retail price would be around $160, and wholesale about $120.
Valued Member
United States
266 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2011  08:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cperry8483 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, VF-20 for sure. Although the lightness of color leads me to think it may be cleaned.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2835 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2011  09:31 am  Show Profile Check Prethen's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Prethen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the lighting in the photo is terrible. If the photo truly represents the coin, then it has been overdipped and cleaned poorly. Choice VF details.
Specializing in 2-3-20 cent pieces and 19th Century Proofs
Did someone mention 3CN?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1552 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2011  11:16 am  Show Profile Check KenKat's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that the lighting is making things tough and gives the appearance of a dipped or cleaned coin.

The threshold on the Twenty Cent piece is much different because of the raised Liberty. I think this coin is a VF-30 or maybe a VF-35; a weak strike on the reverse (common) probably holds it back a little.
My 7070 US Type Set
My 7100 Lincoln Cent Set (pics a little out of date - ok, really out of date...)
Rest in Peace
United States
4849 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2011  11:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add johnny54321 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree that the lighting is poor and it looks harshly cleaned. Even with that said, I disagree with everyone else. I dont see how there is any chance it would grade less than a full XF-40 details. "Liberty" is full, the eagles feather detail is also full. Even a chance at AU. There are some weakness in the reverse lettering, but I am guessing it is strike related.

Here are a couple VF-25 examples:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Key-Date-1875-S...em5adea749c1

http://cgi.ebay.com/1875-S-LIBERTY-...em45f892ca26

not even close.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1505 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2011  7:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add atlashealth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF-30 details...harshly cleaned...net VF20
anyone notice the obv 2 oclock overflow error
also check for s over s variety...could make this coin much more valuable....GOOD LUCK!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1020 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2011  7:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add docsfishn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your grading comments and opinions. Here are a few pictures that were taken by the person who I bought the coin from.

Rest in Peace
United States
4849 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2011  11:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add johnny54321 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The seller's picture hides the cleaning a lot more than yours did. I would guess though that the cleaning is old and has retoned somewhat. I stand by my XF-40 assessment. Here is mine for comparison, it was graded AU-53 by ANACS.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05