Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 Canadian Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 Canadian Coins, Bank Notes, and Paper Money

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

anyone from Canada search paper money bricks?

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Thehammer77
Valued Member
Canada
83 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2011  01:37 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Thehammer77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

just wondering and what have you found?, I have since Summertime. I've found a couple SWIMS, a 2 digit radar, miscelllanous radars, replacement notes and 2 $10 BTVs (unfortunatly were pretty beat up), found a nice replacement BTW in UNC.

Valued Member
Canada
94 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2011  01:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NickleHalfDime to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not ready to start collecting paper money but I am curious about a few things. How many notes in a brick, for starters?
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
8383 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2011  04:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just excuse me for a second, I just HAD to throw in this 'red herring':

How many notes in a brick? The answer is: just 'one'.

The old Australian Ten Pound note was colloquially known as a 'brick'. It was the same colour a brick, and the same dimensions. All Australian 'bricks' are valuable, even the least valuable is catalogued around $150 in fine condition today. Nearly 86 million ten pound notes were issued from 1913 to 1966.
Valued Member
Canada
83 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2011  10:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Thehammer77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
there are 100 notes in a brick, a brick of $5s would cost $500.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
606 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2011  2:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add collectall to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OOh!Sounds good.A little rich for my blood though.(Retired you know)
Valued Member
Canada
183 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2011  5:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add david mackenzie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you come across a 1935 $25 cnd note let me know!!
Valued Member
Canada
404 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2011  5:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add North of 49 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What is a "SWIMS" ?
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
902 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2011  11:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littlemoney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not into collecting paper (yet), also sounds a bit too rich for my blood too.
Valued Member
Canada
83 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2011  12:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Thehammer77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SWIMS aka Rotator notes, same serial number when turned upside down, the ones I found were $5 I forget the prefix6900069 and $20 I forget the prefix6698699, 127 in each series of 10 million notes, rarer than the 2 digit radars
Valued Member
Canada
404 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2011  5:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add North of 49 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK I've heard of those, didn't know what they were called though.

Another dumb question, the replacement notes you found, were they from the latest series of bills and if so how do you identify them?
Valued Member
Canada
162 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2011  11:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Meldude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have found a bill that was crisp unc that had 5 sevens in a row
BTW what would 1986 5 dollar bills unc Knight and Dodge be worth?
Edited by Meldude
02/24/2011 10:20 pm
Valued Member
Canada
83 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2011  5:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Thehammer77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the replacements I found are ''so called'' replacements as mentioned in the 2011 Charlton book. My last brick of $10s had a nice repeater: BFB2042042, also a nice radar BTZ9805089, also a $20 ARS7405740.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
2881 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2011  11:21 pm  Show Profile Check Libertad's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add Libertad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a little harder for people to get into, as the lowest banknote here is currently $5. That's 5x times more investment than searching through Ones. Then again when you get a brick you don't necessarily have to search through it because you already know what serial numbers are in there (unless searching for errors). It's a bit hefty. Most people don't have $500 to put into anything, let alone money, hah!
http://gtacoins.ecrater.com
Want to Buy or Trade: Nuevos Pesos Méxicanos UNC!: P95, P96, P97, P98, P99, P105a and P105b. :)
Valued Member
Canada
252 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2011  11:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add twoplustwo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My understanding is that a brick is 1000 notes, while a bundle is 100 notes. A brick has 10 bundles.
Valued Member
Canada
53 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2011  3:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add psi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is a canadian forum I came across on banknotes, don't think they like links to other forums here though and I don't remember the address anyway. So are the bricks/bundles only for new bills?
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4087 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2011  10:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Canadian-Banknotes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
what would 1986 5 dollar bills unc Knight and Dodge be worth?

Knight-Dodge signatures on 1986 $5 notes are fairly common, but depending on the prefix it could be worth up to $100. (Whats the prefix on your note?)

Quote:
My understanding is that a brick is 1000 notes, while a bundle is 100 notes. A brick has 10 bundles.

Your right twoplustwo, there is also a "Block" which is 5000 notes.

Quote:
o are the bricks/bundles only for new bills?

Most of the time, the notes are circulated, but you can try to order new ones from the bank. (They charge a fee to order in notes for you)
Want to Buy: PCGS Graded 1878-S Morgan dollar (PO-01)
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassSWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.77 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05