Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I need help photoshop & jpg

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
260 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2011  9:39 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add HeadsIWin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I recently joined this forum and have been trying to figure out how to make my photos into jpg to download them on this site. I recently found a Lincoln cent with 2 cuds and I would like to be able to download pics to this forum. I have Photoshop Elements 7. I am so frustrated that I haven't been able to figure this out. I'm not computer savvy and I am so close to giving up. Can anyone please help?

Pillar of the Community
United States
540 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2011  10:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ichirensha to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hope someone comes along and gives you an easy explanation because I'd like to know how to do this as well. I gave up on trying about 4.5 years ago.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2586 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2011  10:24 pm  Show Profile Check macmercury's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add macmercury to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think there are 2 way to approach this, ask a computer savvy friend or cousin to help and train you to generate a Jpeg file with the correct allowable size to upload to this forum.

2nd answer is a link from Yahoo. This should at least get you started.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...31527AANL0wh
Valued Member
United States
260 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2011  10:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add HeadsIWin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for responding macmercury. I'll check it out. Ichirensha, I hope this will help you out too. 4 plus years is a long time. What program have you been using?
Valued Member
United States
313 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2011  10:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Fatboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use picnic
Valued Member
United States
260 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2011  11:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add HeadsIWin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I failed again. I tried those steps macmercury, there appear to be additional steps that couldn't figure. I got the pictures in jpg but they are still too large. Do I need to resize first and how do I do that? I've been working on that too but still no go. If I knew someone who knew how to do this I would have contacted them a long time ago. The one person I believe knows how to do this is always out of town due to her job. Well, tomorrow is another day.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1035 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2011  12:00 am  Show Profile Check specksynder's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add specksynder to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In photoshop elements, is there an IMAGE menu? If so, there should be an option for IMAGE SIZE. Set it to like 400 pixels by 600 pixels with a resolution of 72 pixels.

That's based on my knowledge of photoshop... if elements is very different, then sorry.
Learn More...
United States
16721 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2011  12:36 am  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK. First, are you cropping the image so that as little as possible appears, besides the coin? That's the first step. Then, resize it to a size that will be useful to an audience such as here at CCF - if you can do a nice image of between 400-600 pixels, you'll be fine.

Then, Save As a .jpg - always keep your original shot, and save copies that you've played with - and set the Quality slider to about 6 or 7. That slider determines the amount of compression applied to the image - the greater the compression, the smaller the resulting file but you're going to lose detail. You'll have to experiment to figure out the best compromise.

It's going to be difficult to get images down to the 100k filesize limit if they're much bigger than 500 pixels.
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, numismo - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
Valued Member
United States
260 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2011  02:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add HeadsIWin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks again SuperDave. You certainly are on top of the game.
Valued Member
United States
420 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2011  3:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sidekick-CA to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use PSE 6 so thot I'd throw in a little info. At the top, click on Image and on the drop-down go to resize image. Here you can set your pixel dimensions. The below foto is at width of 450 and height 652 with 99.4kb file size. When you have the pixels where you want click OK. Go to File Save As then choose location on your disk, click OK. Window comes up with your jpeg compression options--from low through max. You can see the projected output file size change as you look at each of these options. Think I made that sound more complicated than it really is.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4179 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2011  7:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great info for you so far ... I as well use Photoshop Elements (PSE) 6 ... and offer the following in support of everything you have been told so far ...

Be mindful that no software program can make up for poor, un-focused, under-lit photos. Grab the best high resolution images you can. Really need to work on this part with experiments and trial set-ups until you find what works for you and you camera. I have a lot of work to do in this area.

When you open the images in your PSE editor you should ... as SuperDave suggests ... use the crop tool to remove as much of the unneeded background as possible.

The key to re-sizing your photos to fit CCF upload standards lies in the use of the PSE re-size commands.

On the upper toolbar ... click on Image ... then click on Image Size ... you will get this dialog box ...

You need to click on the lower box Resample Image ... then you have full control to set the resolution to 72 DPI (that's what all of our computers can process ... anything higher is a waste of data bandwidth if only needed for Internet use) ... and you can set the height and width total pixels.

The resampling that is performed in PSE when you force a resolution can do bad things ... but that is another topic and for the vast majority of our grab-and-smile photos irrelevant.

When you have that ... save as jpeg and as suggested above adjust the compression (numbers from 1 to 10 in PSE) such that your file size is at or under the CCF limit of 90Kb.

Then you should be armed and ready to click on the litle green camera icon to post some great photos of your coins.

BTW ... here is the image in my screen shop ... jpeg file ... 950x494 pixels ... 72 DPI ... Jpeg image ... 74.5kb.

You can do this .... Show us some photos.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Edited by nickelsearcher
03/31/2011 7:27 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
540 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2011  10:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ichirensha to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I tried photobucket but I'm such an idiot I could only figure out how to register, but not edit my photo. Is Photoshop Elements 6 free? I went to one site and there was a 30 day free trial but I don't like "free trials" because at the end of 30 days I can't figure out how to cancel the dang thing.
Pillar of the Community
United States
540 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2011  10:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ichirensha to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think macmercury has the right idea...Have someone "computer savvy" show you how to do it. My problem lies in lacking the most fundamental knowledge of computers. I can just barely find my way here!
Valued Member
United States
260 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2011  01:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add HeadsIWin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nickelsearcher, I did a quick one here. I didn't focus on the image itself but just the cropping and resizing. Posting the images is extremely helpful. Thank you so much.

Edited by HeadsIWin
04/01/2011 01:14 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4179 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2011  6:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent ... appears you have it figured out now! Your cropped and re-sized photo came through clear. Hope this relieves the frustration ... and hoping we get to enjoy some of your coin photos as a result of your new capabilities.

Quote:
Thank you so much.

You are welcome ... pleased to offer some assistance.

Some suggestions on photo sizes for best CCF viewing ... now that you have the power at your fingertips to do what you want ...

Always set your resolution to 72 DPI ... that is the limit of our computer monitors and anything more than that adds to your file size with no increase in visual quality.

Limit your horizontal pixel with to 950 pixels max .... see my image above ... it fully fills the horizontal screen.

Limit your vertical pixel width to 500 pixels max ... this is the limit where your viewers do not need to scroll up and down to see the entire image. Your image above at 700+ vertical pixels requires a scroll effort to view ... keep this in mind in your next photo.

If you are showing a single coin ... like your photo above ... 500 pixels vetrical and 500 pixels horizontal at 72 DPI with a file size under 100K are perfect.

For fun ... resize your image above at those limits and re-post ... I believe you will enjoy the difference.

Quote:
I recently found a Lincoln cent with 2 cuds and I would like to be able to download pics to this forum.

Wonderful ... looking forward to seeing this coin the the USA variety/error forum. Based on your image above ... you now have the proven ability to do so.

Quote:
Is Photoshop Elements 6 free?

No ... it will cost you on the order of $80 ... believe the latest release is PSE 9 ....

Not inexpensive ... but powerful software for all your photography needs.

David

Edited to share some size guidance.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Edited by nickelsearcher
04/01/2011 7:50 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2586 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2011  12:18 am  Show Profile Check macmercury's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add macmercury to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
HeadsIWin,

Give yourself an applause, cropping the background in some way reduce the file size down without sacrificing quality. I have seem many images posted with background bigger than the coin image.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.94 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05