Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What am I doing wrong!

Previous Page | Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar of the Community
Australia
9061 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2011  08:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That poor coin! I have never been examined THAT closely by a surgeon in an operating theatre!
Learn More...
United States
17349 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2011  10:36 am  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is not a whole lot wrong with these shots.

The price you will pay for losing the hotspot is luster and detail; you'll probably lose the exquisite flow lines in the fields, because the same direct light causing the hot spot is illustrating them.
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, coinguybrian, numismo, Johnny54321 - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
Pillar of the Community
United States
577 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2011  10:58 am  Show Profile Check Jon K's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Jon K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I feel that I am somewhat on my way. Thank you guys for helping me get to where I am. Still much work to do, but feel that I understand much better.
Dave, those flow lines are nice . . . Would be a same to lose them.
Yep, that coin is a bit, er, overexposed. I will flip her over and reveal her backside next.
Didn't get to shoot any more yesterday, the wife made me cut the grass. We don't "mow the lawn" in Louisiana, we cut the grass.
Will try to get some shots up today.
Dave, do you have any strings you can pull to get me access to the gallery?
That would be a help if you can.
Oh, and monitoring my live view on a laptop screen has proven to be a challenge. I am trying to figure out "Pinetree" right now. All of this is too much technology for an old man.. . . .
Learn More...
United States
17349 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2011  12:17 pm  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jon, you are just now reaching eligibility for a Gallery with your 50th post. The forum software should let Bobby know automatically, but the nature of his real-world job tends to make his availability on weekends rather sketchy so give it a few days. A gentle nudge posted in the Coin Community Support forum, a few days from now, might help. Although I use the Gallery rather extensively myself (OK, fine, I have more images posted here than anyone else ), I also use Photobucket as it'll let me post larger images than the 800px Gallery restriction.

I was unaware of Pine Tree. Previously, I didn't think there was remote-capture software available for Olympus; this gives me pause to consider things. I've always liked Micro Four Thirds as a great compromise for a carry camera - especially with the *stupid* quality of Zuiko lenses - and the possibility of tethering the same camera to the computer makes it an even more interesting proposition.

The Zuiko 50mm f/2 Macro is about as close to "perfect" as a lens gets, and it has an available extension tube that brings it to 1:1 on a Four Thirds sensor. That would be an intimidating macro setup indeed, paired with a camera you can carry in a butt pack.
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, coinguybrian, numismo, Johnny54321 - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Pillar of the Community
United States
577 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2011  7:45 pm  Show Profile Check Jon K's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Jon K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I dropped Bobby an Email a day or two ago, I am sure he will catch up to me soon. I understand those pesky day jobs.
Sooooo . . . . . I am using my old manual Zuiko 50mm. f/1.8
wrote on it is "ZUIKO AUTO-S 50mm 1:1.8 made in Japan Olympus OM-System"
With my extension rings, I am filling the viewfinder.
Would this be considered a "macro"? Would this be considered a "good setup"?
Oddly, I have been unable to recreate the "hot spot" shot that was approaching some level of adequacy. Thought I could do it in my "studio", but can't get the lights to co-operate.
About to go back to my workshop and try some more shots out there.
Jon
Edited by Jon K
04/24/2011 7:48 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
577 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2011  5:22 pm  Show Profile Check Jon K's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Jon K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is shake right? Where the heck did that come from? Suddenly. Everything I shoot looks like this.

This came out of nowhere . . . . . can it be something internal to the camera?

Everything is rock solid.

Puzzled.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/pho...t=directlink
Learn More...
United States
17349 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2011  12:31 am  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Given that you're manually focusing, it's gotta be shake. Are you using a delayed shutter? Were you using Mirror Lockup and for some reason lost it? I know this camera can lock the mirror, and you'd want it locked for this kind of shooting.

Pillar of the Community
United States
577 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2011  12:44 am  Show Profile Check Jon K's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Jon K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2 second delay.
I will look for the mirror lock. Makes sense . . . .
Just when I thought I was getting on top of it. Or maybe crawling up the side.
Learn More...
United States
17349 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2011  10:02 am  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
May I assume you're familiar with EXIF data? If so, have a look at it from your better shots to review settings. If not, let me know and I'll walk you through it.

Pillar of the Community
United States
577 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2011  10:10 am  Show Profile Check Jon K's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Jon K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dave,

This stuff? A lot of it makes sense, but some of it is gibberish to my untrained eyes. I do not see anything pertaining to mirror lock . . . . . or I don't know what I am looking for.

Date Apr 22, 2011 6:30:47 PM
Width 2478
Height 2488
File Size 7020869
Camera OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP.
Model E-510
ISO 100
Exposure 1/4 sec
Focal Length 0mm
Flash Used false
White Balance 1
Metering Mode 2
Exposure Program 1
Exposure Bias 0.0
Date and Time (Original) 2011:04:23 01:30:47
Color Space 1
X-Resolution 314.0
Y-Resolution 314.0
Resolution Unit 2
Software Version 1.3
Date and Time 2011:04:23 01:30:47
YCbCr Positioning 2
Date and Time (Digitized) 2011:04:23 01:30:47
Max Aperture 0.0
Light Source 0
Custom Rendered 0
Exposure Mode 1
Digital Zoom Ratio 1.0
Scene Capture Type 0
Gain Control 0
Contrast 0
Saturation 0
Sharpness 1
Interoperability Index R98
Related Image Width 3648
Related Image Height 2736
Learn More...
United States
17349 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2011  12:30 pm  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's it. Most of it is, in fact, gibberish.

What I'm looking for are the parameters you want to duplicate from your "good" shots - exposure and ISO in this case. You won't see Aperture or focal length because you're using a manual lens which doesn't pass that info to the camera; the other two settings are in-camera and available.

This is unrelated to mirror lockup.

Pillar of the Community
United States
577 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2011  11:22 pm  Show Profile Check Jon K's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Jon K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hah! Anti Shock. Whodathunkit. Another button for the old guy.

Got the shake taken care of, now I feel I should work on lighting.

And errant reflections.

This coin has nice breast feathers, how do I get them to pop?

I seem to be stuck on F-4. Is there any reason to get off of it?

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/pho...t=directlink

Edited by Jon K
04/26/2011 11:27 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1166 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2011  11:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikandiggit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Crisp! Nice zoom action on that picasaweb!
Learn More...
United States
17349 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2011  11:47 pm  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wowser. OK, we're now officially entering the realm of nitpicking.

If you can find the setting, lose the in-camera sharpening. I think it's too heavy-handed; you can do a far better job with postprocessing software. As regards the breast feathers, I think the only way you're going to bring them out is a more oblique lighting angle. Then, though, you're going to run into shadows cast by various other devices. Play with lighting angle; I suspect you'll find a nice compromise.

One thing to remember: You are playing with the most difficult of coinage - a lustrous Modern silver piece. Anything with less luster or a stronger strike will be a slam dunk by comparison. If you happen to have a Brown early copper, shoot it; you're going to think you're a genius.

Pillar of the Community
United States
577 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2011  11:51 pm  Show Profile Check Jon K's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Jon K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I have a large cent around here somewhere. . . .
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05