Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I bought a WheresGeorge.com stamp.

Previous Page | Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
1397 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2011  09:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nickelman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I've never seen a valuable GW dollar bill ruined by a Where's George stamp.

Someone on these forums posted a picture of a solid serial number (2's if I remember correctly) ruined by a Where's George stamp. I have been trying to find the image to repost here, but am unable to find it so far. But that image goes to show that not everyone understands the value of collecting, and I do not refer to the monetary value.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1723 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2011  10:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pls to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My apologies to those who collect paper, but I just don't get excited by a bill with repeated numbers on it any more than I am disturbed by my local ZIP code number: 66605. But then I'm an equal-opportunity offender, as I don't get excited by varieties in coins, either. I do get interested in the beauty and history of an item, and I'd get more excited by a dollar bill which has just traveled to my hand from, say, Norman, OK than by a bill, from where, I don't know, with repeated numbers or stars printed on it. Is there something wrong with me? lol
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2011  11:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I dunno. Check your report card.

Does it have a low mark by "works and plays well with others"?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1397 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2011  12:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nickelman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'd get more excited by a dollar bill which has just traveled to my hand from, say, Norman, OK than by a bill, from where, I don't know, with repeated numbers or stars printed on it.

That is a beautiful example of the difference between Extrinsic and Intrinsic value. One has value that people pay good money for and the other has value that can't be bought, and is therefore worthless.

J/K about the worthless part. I do see the value of a love for one's hobby, and I do enjoy seeing the notes I enter into the WG site that have traveled far from home.
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2011  11:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mewmew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe there isn't much harm in stamping dollar bills, but what about bigger bills? I've been handed a few $5s and higher with the stamps on them, I think I remember even seeing a $20 or two with the Where's George stamps. Some bills also don't just have a Where's George stamp, but they've had serial numbers highlighted in several colors for entering into the site.

I don't mind so much with the $1 bills, but anything higher shouldn't be getting stamped. It's easier to find more valuable bills above $1.
Valued Member
United States
63 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2011  04:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add aguynamedjoebob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@pls when you said "polishing your Wheat cent collection" even in that context I cringed.
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2011  09:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CEG2011 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
iamkayelem - It's not really a currency collecting hobby, it's more for geography and statistics enthusiasts. WheresGeorge.com doesn't deem it acceptable to just get a stack of new $1 bills from the bank for the purposes of marking them up and distributing. So my question is - who "collects" the crusty $1 bills anyway, really? Haha. I say mark 'em up. It's interesting to see how many hands these bills have passed through, what stores they've been in, states and countries they've crossed, etc.

Also, it's not defacement of money - "defacement" is defined as rendering bills unfit to be re-issued. WheresGeorge.com does not condone defacement of money.

I love it, I think it's great. I'm actually going to order my official STAMP to put on the bills soon! Woot woot!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1723 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2011  7:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pls to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I dunno. Check your report card.

Does it have a low mark by "works and plays well with others"?

Why, yes. Yes, it does. But I did get a high mark next to "smart alec". I think that balances out the low mark, doesn't it? lol
Pillar of the Community
United States
4350 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2011  8:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add amida17 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It's easier to find more valuable bills above $1.

I dunno if you take a profit margin aproach. A one dollar bill star note worth $15 is a 1500% profit while a $100 dollar star bill could be worth $200 is 100% profit. Just saying that as you increase denomination % of return diminishes.

Also, I like the wheres George thing.....kinda fun.
My thoughts, my beliefs, my feelings are all in my brain. My brain is going to rot.

Richard Dawkins
Edited by amida17
11/30/2011 8:23 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
6097 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2011  09:14 am  Show Profile Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have an "ALCATRAZ PRISON" stamped silver certificate (1957), not sure where it came from, but more than likely a spoof of some sort. I don't like the "where's george" notion, but can appreciate its idea. I have seen several of these bills, but luckily none of them were of particular interest to me.

Enjoy!
oih82w8 = "Oh I Hate To Wait"

"I tell her coins keep me off the streets and out of the bars." Moe145

"WOO-SAA...WOo-SAa...Woo-Saa" (calm down)
28 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2011  12:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add elasdary to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have seen 3-4 Wheresgeorge's in the span of just a few days of strap searching. I simply did not have time to log in and returned them to the wild. Was too excited over the star finds...
Pillar of the Community
United States
1126 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2011  2:34 pm  Show Profile Check coinsearcher83's eBay Listings Check coinsearcher83's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add coinsearcher83 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ooh.. I hate when they brag about finding (and thus destroying) an old star note...
Just a busy college student working on a $1 block set from circulation.
(I'm supposed to be studying)
Have consecutive $1 bills from 2006-present? Please PM me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1397 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2011  2:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nickelman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I must have missed something... who's destroying star notes?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1126 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2011  3:53 pm  Show Profile Check coinsearcher83's eBay Listings Check coinsearcher83's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add coinsearcher83 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some WheresGeorge users. Star notes from those early mixed ranges are stamped and destoyed (value/collectibleness-wise), simply to get hits for these earlier Series.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1126 Posts
 Posted 12/20/2011  1:29 pm  Show Profile Check coinsearcher83's eBay Listings Check coinsearcher83's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add coinsearcher83 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the other hand, one of my older stamped bills was hit in Ontario yesterday..

Ah, so tempting..lol
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05