Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Where does asyn get all if its coins?

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Canada
365 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2011  3:02 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add kitkat1858 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hey guys,

Everyone who uses eBay to buy Canadian coins has probably heard of a seller called 'asyn'. They always offer lots of Canadian material from the mid-19th century onward. Most of it is overgraded, but they are often able to offer scarce or rare coins, so collectors continue to take interest in their items.

Does anyone know where they get all of these coins, and why they're grading standards are so whacky?

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1733 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2011  3:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ugly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know where he gets this stuff to be honest and I won't speculate at the risk of committing libel.

However, the grading speaks to this... the inability or refusal to recognize cleaning, dipping or other damage and blatant overgrading in an effort to raise his prices.

As near as I can tell without being a cyber stalker, he was a distributor of beauty salon equipment before the switch. The fact that problem free scarce pieces rarely hit his auctions tells me he's selling the better ones elsewhere and does indeed know the difference between crap and good stuff because as the saying goes... even the blind dog finds the odd bone, yet I haven't seen anything decent that was also problem free in his auctions. The low res scans often defy the ability to pick out problems before you receive the coins. Service is adequate though snail slow, his packaging is almost guaranteed to further damage the coins and they often have staple marks from bad positioning of the stapler.

I have judged "finds" from asyn on more than 10 purchases from others and I cannot recommend him/her/then unless they are common dates at silver bullion value so there is little downside risk. Anything he carries can purchased problem free from other sellers with better service and less downside potential.

As an aside , myself and several others here have multiples of many common dates that are problem free , the few people that have asked for Canadian items in the want to buy section of the forum have usually been helped relatively quickly even with odd ball requests by posters from both sides of the border.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2156 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2011  3:47 pm  Show Profile Check chequer's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chequer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I have purchased a couple of items from him/her. Both were clearly problem coins, but they went for the .99 plus free shipping start price. One was a silver NL coin that looked like it had been damaged in the photo, but, as Ugly stated, the photos are bad enough that it could have been a cud, so I took a chance. It was damage, so that's a bullion coin. He can offer some problem free common, circulated material, but you take your chances because of the photos. There are definitely other avenues for such coins. They also have another (I haven't checked for more) eBay ID for mostly foreign material now: asynpm. Again, very common stuff and no real gems.

Oops, just checked and the NL 10 cent piece I bought was $1.55.

edited for accuracy
Edited by chequer
05/13/2011 3:49 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
902 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2011  5:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littlemoney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Him/her or they are starting to get some TPG's on site as of lately
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1549 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2011  6:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add glenzy1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I find it fascinating that he has soo many Victorian ad Edwardian pieces in mid range grade. These coins are getting more difficult to acquire and are highest in demand among most collectors, simply because they are affordable by the masses.
I think he is advertising heavily to acquire collections from people who's spouses have passed away and know nothing about coins. I've seen a lot of this type of practice among some dealers and they simply dump the junk on E-bay on a 5 day auction with no reserve. Also check his Feedback rating, one of the highest on E-bay as per sales / month. I personally would rather buy from Colonial Acres at full trends than buy this dealer's junk at half trends. Always remember what yo mama taught you: "if it seems too good to be true, it usually is!".

Glenn
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
541 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2011  10:30 pm  Show Profile Check EastVanRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add EastVanRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have occasionally bought third party graded coins from him/her, so far without incident. I received what was described.

Of course the other stuff is probably good for bullion only, which isn't a problem providing you don't bid at more than bullion prices.
Member, RCNA and Vancouver Numismatic Society
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4887 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2011  01:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Where does asyn get all of it's coins?
Likely the same place where most dealers get the bulk of their coins,from dead and/or desperate collectors.
It is simply not true that most of what they sell is overgraded,all of it is.
Problem coins galore,if you ever pay more than 40% for their coins you'll likely be disappointed.
That being said over the years I have purchased hundreds of coins from this seller.
They sell over a thousand coins a week,if you're careful and know what to look for there's an overlooked bargain or two every week.
Before the current craze for silver started one could always pick up a few coins a week there for less than bullion.
Where else can you buy a single common date coin for 99cents including shipping with insurance?
And their "no questions asked" return policy,I've used it and they mean it.
And unlike Colonial Acres they have never knowingly sold Chinese counterfeit coins
Edited by DBM
05/14/2011 02:04 am
Valued Member
Canada
311 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2011  09:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add soccerdad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think it is fair saying this seller and most of eBay sell problem coins. This seller obviously buys collections then sells them all one at a time. He should be commended for selling with free shipping. I am sure that money can be made this way by selling in volume. I have bought some British coins from this seller and I found no surprises. They all were what I expected from the scans. A lot of people don't like buying coins from eBay and say that most coins are problem coins. If you feel this way simply don't buy from eBay.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1733 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2011  10:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ugly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
soccerdad exactly who said most of eBay is problem coins? I can't see that anywhere in this thread. You seem displeased that we are speaking harshly of this seller. If so , why is that?
Valued Member
Canada
311 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2011  12:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add soccerdad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe I am confused what you meant by you can buy problem free from other sellers without a downside. What I contend is the fact that on multiple threads I sense hostility towards coins being sold on eBay. I feel eBay can serve collectors as an alternative place to buy coins. Most of what I buy are from reputable dealers but not all of us live close to dealers. I truly believe there are many more collectors because of eBay. I also think it is important to do your homework before making purchases from any source. I am sorry if you think I was being a little strong I did not mean to offend. When you look through collections I challenge anybody to tell me which coins were bought from eBay. I do not know this seller but I think he or she should at least be commended on offering free shipping.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1733 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2011  12:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ugly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I took no offense, I was just wondering what I was missing.

Wait until you see their packaging and buy coins hit by staples and you wouldn't be happy about it being free :D . I'll give anyone a couple bucks for a bubble mailer and increased postge so it has to be hand sorted instead of going through the machines.

When we said other sellers, I at least was referring to other eBay sellers well known in Canada for quality photos, safe packing and accurate descriptions and grading. Deltacoins ?(think that's it) for example sells a lot of raw items but he at least takes decent shots and says up front if a coin appears to have an old cleaning or whatnot. I get the feeling he sells coins but isn't a long time dealer, just tries his best.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4887 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2011  12:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think he or she should at least be commended on offering free shipping.

Quote:
Where else can you buy a single common date coin for 99cents including shipping with insurance?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
902 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2011  1:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littlemoney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with DBM, I have picked up some great deals from this seller & I don't expect to receive MS65 coins just because this seller calls em as such.
Valued Member
Canada
108 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2012  12:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pimpim to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder if he gets some coins from Kitco.
Canada
2 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2012  11:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add thucyd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As a fairly new collector (and of humble means) I find Asyn's auctions hard to resist. I've won plenty of auctions on low-end items but have been pleased with the couple of silver half-dollars he's sent as well.

I do feel guilty for not frequenting my local dealers more often but some of them give me such a sneer when I mention the 10 or 25 cent coins I'm looking for...
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2012  01:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
, pimpim + thucyd!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05