Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 US Classic Variety and Error Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Anyone seen an 1883 No Cents Liberty Like this one?

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Danester
Valued Member
United States
208 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2011  12:09 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Danester to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I've had this 1883 No Cents Liberty nickel in my collection for 20+ years. The the upper serif of the "1" shows doubling, and from my investigation it is an unlisted RPD.

This die stage has a light die crack running from the first star to the tip of Liberty's neck, extending down to the base of the "1", on to the bottom of the first "8", over to the second "8" and out to the rim. The other end of the die crack goes through the first star and out to the rim. There are three die chips along this die crack - one on the right side of the first star, one at the left side of the base of "1", and one that looks like a decimal point between the "1" and first "8", making the date look like "1.883".

As I mentioned, I've had this coin in my collection for over 20 years, and have only encountered one other lower grade example of this die variety. It is possible the die crack turned into a full blown rim cud fairly early and the die was pulled from production - possibly making it very rare.

Has anyone encountered this die variety, and interesting die stage before?

Pillar Of The Community
United States
8715 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2011  10:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I doubt the crack at star 1 would have developed much greater. The much heavier crack from the rim through stars 5 and 6 would be more likely to be the reason for the die being retired. It isn't too surprising that you may not have seen many of these. There were probably over two hundred obverse dies used for this issue. You may have also seen this die several times but in an earlier state before the crack and chips developed. The only way to really know would be see several more, preferably in earlier and later states to determine how the cracks and chips developed.

Even if the die variety does turn out to be rare, it would need a significant base of collectors looking for it before it would develop much of a premium. Right now the number of rabid V nickel variety collectors is small and they can still cherrypick successfully.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1269 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2011  10:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add southsav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I pulled mine out and took a better look. I knew it had cracks but upon closer inspection found slight doubling on the 1 at the same location. My cracks are different though leading me to think its a different die than yours.

Here for comparison.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
8715 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2011  11:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I would say it is a different obv die. OK, that's two, one hundred and ninety eight plus to go.
Edited by Conder101
07/02/2011 11:39 am
Valued Member
United States
208 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2011  1:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Danester to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now, this one you'll find now and then with consistent coin show cherrypicking. One thing about 1883 NC Liberty nickels is you'll always find a good supply of higher grade No Cents in dealer inventories.

When the "With Cents" went into production a lot of No Cents were saved - the thinking being they would become more valuable. Like the Buffalo nickel Type II the opposite has come true, and the 1883 With Cents types are now more valuable - about 3.8 times more in MS-63. The moral to this kind of story is to "zig when everyone else is zagging".

The same can be said concerning negative talk about collecting Liberty nickels. The No Cents is a good choice for new beginning Cherrypickers to start and concentrate on. You'll get lots of No Cents in hand and under the Loupe, and you'll find die varieties at most coin shows you attend. Don't get hung-up on what a die varierty is worth in dollars - think only in terms to rarity.

You'll make serial finds of some die varieties. However, the die variety starting this thread does not show-up very often. The one below is "findable" - Breen found it.

On one knows for sure how many obverse dies were used to mint the 5,474,300 No Cent Liberty nickels, but 200 is likely incorrect - that would be only about 27,370 coins per die. Buffalo and Jefferson Nickels average about 200,000 coins per die. The Liberty nickel with its new design was a vast improvement over the Shield nickel average die life - thought to be only about 20,000. A 100,000 ADL estimate for the Liberty nickel is probably conservative, and results in an estimate of 55 obverse dies for the 1883 No Cent Liberty nickel.

Valued Member
United States
208 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2011  4:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Danester to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This 1883 No Cents Liberty nickel is similar to Breen 2533 but different. The "1" in the date has doubling of both upper and lower serifs, plus a base of an extra 1 crosses the lower middle of 1. Both "8"s also show doubling. I'm not sure if this one is listed in Flynn's Book book. If anyone knows let me know.

Edited by Danester
07/02/2011 4:57 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4000 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2011  5:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Scooby Due to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting, Danester.

This is exactly why I tell newbies not to focus on "the list", but the coin. Sure, be aware of what's known, but don't limit yourself to it. New discoveries are just waiting for someone to come along without "the list".
Pillar Of The Community
United States
817 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2011  5:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Las_Vegas_Larry to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is my only 1883 no cent. It's different only 197 to go.

The date is clean. There is a die crack from rim to rim through the 6th star, Liberty, and star # 7.

Valued Member
United States
208 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2011  8:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Danester to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is one of my favorites. I've found a few of these that were most mostly Mint State and AU. If anyone knows if this is listed somewhere let me know. I dance to the beat of my own drum when it comes to finding 1883 No Cent Liberty nickels varieties.

This variety has a light remnant of a double punch of the lower portion of a "1", between the "1" and the first "8". When looking for this one rotate the coin under your loupe and the reflected light will make the double punching jump out.

Edited by Danester
07/06/2011 8:18 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8715 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2011  4:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I based my die estimate on the die life of the late Shield nickels which was about 23,000 coins per die pair. (the early ones were only about 15,000 per die pair.) there may have been some improvement with the new design and slightly larger size but I doubt if it would that much of and increase from the 23,000 of the 1883 shield to the 1883 V nickel.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
832 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2011  3:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bishftl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's my 83 cracks obv/rev. Would post better photos if I had better camera.

Total Halves Searched = 591,880
Kennedy 40% = 1254
Kennedy 90% = 159
Proof = 249
Walker = 57
Franklin = 52
Commemorative = 15
Pillar Of The Community
United States
566 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2011  01:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add madhandles761991 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's mine! Looks like early die breaks around most of the stars, and a crack through the date:

Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
2104 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2012  07:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chris12018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is there an on line site for V nickels varieties w/ pics?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5926 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2013  09:09 am  Show Profile Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is there an on line site for V nickels varieties w/ pics?

I am a little late in this thread, primarily doing some old thread searching for a potential 1883 5C NC RPD.

Here is one that I have bookmarked;

http://www.libertynickels.org/variety.php?
oih82w8 = "Oh I Hate To Wait"

"I tell her coins keep me off the streets and out of the bars." Moe145

"WOO-SAA...WOo-SAa...Woo-Saa" (calm down)
Edited by oih82w8
09/10/2013 09:11 am
Valued Member
Canada
61 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2013  12:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 1PPCLI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not only a nice coin, but nice pictures also!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.24 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05