Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Anyone Finding Silver in Brink's Boxes?

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
14 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2011  01:00 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add coinhunter16 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I have gone through more than $750 in Brink's wrapped dimes and have found absolutely nothing.
I also heard a rumor that Brink's has a machine that filters out the silver from the rest of the dimes. Are you guys finding silver in Brink's boxes lately? If so, do you usually have better luck with paper wrapped or Brink's plastic wrap? Thank you in advance for your answers!

Pillar of the Community
United States
3904 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2011  01:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I find 1.5 silvers per brinks box. 1/6th of those are Mercuries. My longest skunk streak is 2.
Pillar of the Community
United States
935 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2011  01:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add okiepb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't get Brinks rolls where I live, only the String & Sons rolls. I can say that they are drying up considerably from several years ago, however, now and then I still find silver.

United States
14 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2011  02:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coinhunter16 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I'm going to a different bank tomorrow that has N.F. String and Son brand dimes wrapped in paper. I hope I'll have better luck with them.
Pillar of the Community
Egypt
3470 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2011  05:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EgCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good luck with your hunt
Pillar of the Community
United States
2520 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2011  06:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tim Stroud to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have been told that all 3rd party coin rolling companies are using silver sorting machines. This is second hand info from a dealer who has been in contact specifically with Brinks, which stemmed from him witnessing someone dumping a box full of silver coin in a Coinstar.
Pay your taxes! 12 million illegal immigrants are depending on it.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."
Thomas Jefferson

Oldest Circulation Find ----- 1897S Barber quarter
Oldest Detector Find -------- 1803 Large cent

Pillar of the Community
United States
3339 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2011  08:44 am  Show Profile Check rachums107's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rachums107 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Remember, there were HUNDREDS of MILLIONS of silver coins produced, even billions when you add them all up. There's still stuff left out there and in people's houses just waiting to be dumped.
"Once you free your mind about a concept of harmony and music being correct, you can do whatever you want. So, nobody told me what to do, and there was no preconception of what to do."
-Giovanni Giorgio (Giorgio Moroder)

Silver War nickels found: 97
Oldest CRH find-1897 V-Nickel
Ignorance is bliss...but knowledge is power.
Valued Member
384 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2011  09:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coincollector123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have had luck with Brinks nickels though. Sometimes you can pick wartime nickels out by the color of the sides through the plastic wrap. I went through two boxes and got 7 silver nickels.
But I have got no silver through Brinks rolls (beside nickels) I have got 6 silver dimes through customer wrapped dimes
Edited by coincollector123
07/13/2011 09:28 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3904 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2011  10:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lots of people do get silver dimes from brinks rolls (I get more silver that way than from halves, which are terrible for me), so they're not culling it, despite constant rumors to the contrary. But if you live in an area with lots of roll hunters, they've probably sucked most of it up. I also do fine with nickels.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1961 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2011  11:04 am  Show Profile Check XavierOfGreen's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add XavierOfGreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have found solid rolls of silver half dollars in brinks boxes. The stuff is out there, you just have to be willing to go through an immense amount of coins in order to find it.
Oldest Found-------
Cent: 1842 (from machine) ---- Three Cent: 1866 [Nickel] (from machine)
Nickel: 1883 (from roll) ---- Dime: 1911 (from roll)
Quarter: 1932 (from machine) ---- Half: 1917 (from roll)
Dollar: 1880 (from machine) ---- Foriegn: 1863 (from machine)
United States
14 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2011  11:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coinhunter16 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yea, I haven't had any problems with Brink's or String and Son's nickels. I found a 1918 Buffalo nickel in the same roll as a war nickel in a Brink's box last week and I found a 1896 V nickel in a String and Son box the other day along with a war nickel so they have both been good to me
United States
24 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2011  11:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coinguru13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For me halves are a complete waste of time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3904 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2011  11:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I should add that $750 in dimes is only three boxes, and a if you're going to be put off by a skunk streak of three boxes, you won't get very far in roll hunting. Get in at least 10 or 20 boxes before you start drawing conclusions. I'm on a 7 or 8 box skunk streak in half dollars, but I keep looking. Maybe when I've gone though 20 or 30 straight without anything good, I'll give up.
United States
14 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2011  12:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coinhunter16 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
captainfwiffo, yea, I'm not ready to give up, just tryin something different
Valued Member
United States
198 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2011  12:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sich0015 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sometimes I get a few skunks in a row from Brinks and sometimes I get up to 5-7 silver dimes in a box. It averages out to about 1.5 per box for me.
Oldest CRH finds
Cent: 1882
Nickel: 1890
Dime: 1917d
Quarter: 1956
Half: 1902
Valued Member
United States
296 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2011  2:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bowfin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I also heard a rumor that Brink's has a machine that filters out the silver from the rest of the dimes.

And that's what it is, a rumor.

Quote:
I have been told that all 3rd party coin rolling companies are using silver sorting machines.

Complete rubbish. Coinstar may or may not be doing it, but all processors, nope. We wouldn't be finding silver in the Brinks and CWI processed coins if that were true...

Quote:
This is second hand info...

'Nuff said.

Quote:
Lots of people do get silver dimes from brinks rolls (I get more silver that way than from halves, which are terrible for me), so they're not culling it, despite constant rumors to the contrary. But if you live in an area with lots of roll hunters, they've probably sucked most of it up.

Yes sir...

I find silver in Brinks rolls as frequently as I do CWI rolls.

Just a friendly FYI, it is quite erroneous to refer to the paper wrapped rolls processed by CWI (Coin Wrap Inc.) as "string" or "String and Sons" rolls or boxes, or any other cute nickname I've seen on this forum.

N.F. String and Sons only make the wrappers and boxes. They do not, and never have, ever processed coins. And CWI is not the only coin processor to use these materials. There are other regional processors that use these same wrappers and boxes.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05