Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1919 Canada Half Dollar Grade?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
5341 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2011  10:38 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add D0ubl3Eagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

This was a recent acquisition. What would you grade this coin? Value?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4814 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2011  10:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
EF45
Nice coin
Valued Member
Canada
272 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2011  2:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add neweden to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
According to Canada grading guide if a coin was EF-40 the beads should be clear and sharp.
I fail to see that on this coin, take a closer look at the rim and denticles (lots of damage there).
I would say this coin is midway between Fine and Very Fine.
Value Trends about $30.00.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4814 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2011  2:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin has issues,for sure,that's why I didn't give a value,but grading of Canadian circulated coins is strictly a function of wear,market grading isn't fully accepted here yet.
Valued Member
Canada
272 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2011  4:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add neweden to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
HUH?
Valued Member
Canada
454 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2011  4:34 pm  Show Profile Check tfred's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tfred to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
According to Charlton;
VF20...the central bands,jewels and pearls are worn away.
EF40...the bands and jewels of the crown have lost their round contours. they are flattened.

this coin is easily EF40 with a value of $150.00
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5953 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2011  7:04 pm  Show Profile Check SHAFTA9a's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SHAFTA9a to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would give a grade of EF-40 to this coin also.
True North
Valued Member
Canada
212 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2011  10:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add parkay to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would agree with neweden Standard Grading Guide - James Charlton & Robert Willey. VF20 The eyebrow is considerably worn. The band of the crown, its jewels and the shoulder bow are clear but not sharp - EF40 The eyebrow is worn and there is slight wear along the band of the crown. Other details remain clear and sharp.
From this I would say VF30
Pillar of the Community
United States
5341 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2011  11:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add D0ubl3Eagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was wondering what were some of the issues that a few of you were seeing on this coin.
Valued Member
Canada
212 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2011  7:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add parkay to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My concern with it being EF40 would be that the vertical beads in the obverse crown are worn and not sharp, also the jewels in the crown band are quite worn not slight wear. With this said it is better than VF20. That is why IMHO I would grade it VF30. That is just my opinion and not saying that is right.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05