Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My Gold Sovereign story

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Zealand
3 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2011  04:46 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add telnz to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I had a very dear friend of mine John Veitch, give me three gold sovereigns . He told me when he gave them to me that should I ever lose them , then not to worry . And that if I ever fell on hard times I should sell them. I was a young man in my twenties then. And unfortunately I had some flatmates or people round me that stole the coins, I never found out who. It upset me but I remembered what John had told me should I lose them. Many years passed and our friendship became more intermittent as friendships often do over time . I had not seen John for around three years when I found out he had passed away in the year 2000. When I was contacted and found John had left me his EXA car and his personal jewelry. I was honored and pleased to learn that while I had missed his funeral he had asked that I spread his ashes. The jewelry he left me was three gold sovereigns two set into cufflinks and a third into a pendant that hung from a antique 18ct chain. I have recently fallen onto hard times out of separation from my wife and stepsons and are having to make a new start. I have put the 1910 and 1925 cufflinks on trademe remembering what John had said when he gave the first three coins to me. A very special friend to be able to help me out all these years after his passing. I shall keep the 1911 sovereign and chain and hopefully I can use it to help someone else in hard times in the future.

*** Edited by Staff - Link Removed ***

In attaining the value of these coins I found this site . I am hoping that someone of this community may end up with these coins that can appreciate the blessings that come with them.

A most heart-felt gratitude to you John - Terry

Edited by telnz
07/20/2011 04:53 am
Pillar of the Community
Egypt
3470 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2011  05:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EgCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CC forum
Pillar of the Community
United States
1067 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2011  09:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DavidZerbato to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum! These are nice looking cufflinks and I hope you sell them, but I think you have them priced a little too high. You will probably only be able to get the gold value out of these, which is about $750. I'm not trying to be Mr. negative here, but I just thought to inform you of this. I recently tried to sell gold jewelry with a bullion bar in it and ended up only getting about spot for it.
New Zealand
3 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2011  3:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add telnz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks David , ( and I'm not trying to be smarty pants here) but here in NZ I got offered $395 just for the gold value of each coin and then some for the 9ct surround. I'll give the auction a go as I would prefer they went to a good home. There is I understand a little more rarity around the 1925 one . And then on top of all that there is good karma in these coins. Thanks though - I'm no coin or gold expert.
Pillar of the Community
United States
560 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2011  5:35 pm  Show Profile Check mmorgan22's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add mmorgan22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did you get offered the $395 in New Zealand dollars or United States dollars? I'm sure that DavidZerbato was talking about USD. This would make more sense since the conversion right now is $1.17 NZD for $1.00 USD. It would make $750 USD about $875.85 NZD currently.
Valued Member
Australia
165 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2011  05:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add agandau to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Greg McDonald's Australian Coins, list three 1925 sovereigns by location of Mint, Sydney, Melbourne and Perth.

It is only the Perth one that is the more sought after.

The mint mark is located just above the date.

Good luck in your sale.
New Zealand
3 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2011  08:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add telnz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes thank you , I did pick that up in my research but then also saw a site in the UK that was selling (Admittedly Mint) 1925's for a higher price because they were the last used in circulation. And another site in the states that marked some as more rare than others. I am really no expert but have found it quite interesting. I wonder if you could let me know of the sovereign I have as a pendant. Its 1911 with no mint mark.
Valued Member
Australia
165 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2011  07:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add agandau to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I failed to notice you replied, the colour thing didn't update. My apologies for this late reply.

If your 1911 sovereign does not have a mint mark, then it would be an English one minted over there.

All 1911 sovereigns do not have any numismatic premium, except if its quality is Uncirculated (UNC).

As to the date 1925, that was the last year the English minted a sovereign coin for circulating money. In 1957 they started minting gold sovereigns again, but not as £1 sterling coins but as gold bullion romantically attired in yesterday's garb.

So if the 1925 sovereign has no mint mark it will be one of those last of the British made ones, otherwise it could be Sydney Melbourne Perth or Pretoria (SA mintmark)

They were still being made elsewhere however. Australia made sovereigns until 1931 and South Africa stamped out the last circulating one in 1932.

Your 1925 one looks in very good shape. However, generally once a coin is mounted in a holder, it is valued as a piece of jewelery more than a coin. If it has a mintmark you might as well leave it in there.

With the price of gold so high at the moment, you are in a good position.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.88 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05