Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 World Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 United Kingdom (Great Britain) Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

seeking knowledge for british coins

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
hermanwilliams
Valued Member
United States
303 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2011  11:09 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add hermanwilliams to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Ok, so I have been using american coinage for my life entire, quite familiar with them. I've seen some british coins on this site and other websites and find many of the designs simply stunning. The detail in some of them are quite impressive. So I guess my question is (are), how do I learn about these coins. Is there a " RedBook" for british coins? What about composition and denominations? What is a good set to start with for someone new to the whole idea of collecting foreign coinage? Are there "danscos" or other albums made for organizing? I'm not really interested in errors or varieties, I'm just trying to keep it simple to start with. Any guideposts would be much appreciated.

Thanks all.

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
8615 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2011  01:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you go back before American Independence, Australians and Americans share the same numismatic heritage. We are competing in the same market, if that is your numismatic interest.

If you are looking at modern British pre decimal coinage, (if my memory serves me correctly), there were indeed Dansco and Whitman albums produced.

For me I am into collecting British milled and machine struck coinage by type, and the above mentioned albums are not available, when it comes to milled coins. Their diameter often varies slightly, and do not lend themselves to the 'push in' type of album.
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
Australia
11053 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2011  02:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is there a " RedBook" for british coins? What about composition and denominations?

There are several options. The most widely quoted is probably the catalogue put out by Spink, Coins of England and the United Kingdom. It covers the entire 2100-year spectrum of English coinage: Celtic, Roman, Anglo-Saxon, Vikings, Normans, English hammered and English/British moderns.

Becoming more popular, and especially useful if the ancients and mediaevals aren't your thing, are the Rotographic books. Collectors' Coins GB is their main British catalogue. It's cheaper, but smaller and generally less informative as far as background stories go.

For general information on the series, there are websites. Tony Clayton's website is often near the top of Google searches, for good reason: it's been around for ages and has lots of good basic info on British coins.

Quote:
What is a good set to start with for someone new to the whole idea of collecting foreign coinage?

Besides the usual date sets and type sets, the sheer breadth of English/British coinage allows for other different kinds of collections to form. The coins of Queen Victoria and her son Edward VII are often considered the high point of British coin design, and collecting a type set is not too expensive. An alternative method is collecting "one from each monarch". Early hammered coins were struck at a multitude of mints and some try for a "one from each mint-city" collection.

Quote:
Are there "danscos" or other albums made for organizing?

I don't know about Dansco, but Whitman made (but as far as I know, no longer makes) push-in albums for Britain and several other British Commonwealth countries. But it's my understanding that "set collectors" aren't as common in Britain as they are in the USA, so there's little local demand for set albums. The only "set albums" you're likely to encounter from anywhere in Europe are for the euro coins.

Hope this helps.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1439 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2011  02:55 am  Show Profile Check alganbagerap's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add alganbagerap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coins of England and the United Kingdom by Spink is one of the standard reference books, and Spink numbers are often used instead of Krause numbers.
It's published each year, so second hand copies are cheap and plentiful.
"Push in" albums are available for all 20th century British coinage.
Bob
I want to own more medals than a four star general. Give generously
Valued Member
United States
303 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2011  11:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hermanwilliams to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks y'all. Looks like this is plenty to get me started.
Valued Member
United States
320 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2011  10:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add satxwd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm an American who collects British coins because like you I love them. I collect everything from hammered coins of the Tudors to Gold Sovereigns. If I were you I'd start with a book: "Seaby's Standard Catalogue of British Coins." This is NOT to be used as a price guide because as you will find in the U.S., British coins sell for different prices. Mintage numbers listed are also off because of silver and gold coin melt down over the years. However, it will give you other good info and images of coins. I'd also pick up a book about "British Tokens" by Seaby's. British tokens are fun, too.
United Kingdom
30 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2011  2:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chris wren to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The vogue for Whitman and similar date folders rather died in the UK in 1971, with the introduction of decimla currency. In the 1960s, it was common to be able to find coins a century old in your small change, especially the bronze pennies and halfpennies; you could even occasionally find 'silver' coins that contained real silver (925 fine up to 1920 date and 500 fine from 1921 to 1946, thereafter cupro-nickel).

Collecting coins from pocket change and building date runs was a then popular pastime and there was always the hope that something fabulous might be found - the only known example of the 1952 halfcrown was found in circulation! Serious collectors then, as now, tended to store their coins in wooden cabinets or non-acidic paper envelopes, rather than in cardboard folders. Chris Wren
United Kingdom
30 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  5:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bradez72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i would go for the new spink 2012 book, coins of england, its more in detail to others
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.12 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05