Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I dived in this time. EXON | Exeter token farthing 1663

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

France
129 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2011  12:44 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add redwine to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

No idea. Have you?
Many thanks :)

Identified - moved to British Coins forum - Sap

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
5063 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2011  1:55 pm  Show Profile Check trout1105's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Momento of their first oil spill
Aim to Enjoy life. You only get one shot at it
Valued Member
France
129 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2011  2:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When two minds think alike
Pillar of the Community
United States
560 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2011  2:51 pm  Show Profile Check mmorgan22's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add mmorgan22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a Devonshire, Exeter (Farthing) from 1663. I don't know much about these, but it is a British farthing token. Here is a website that talks about them http://www.britishfarthings.com/Tok...onshire.html. Scroll down to the bottom and look through the Exeter pages. Hopefully you can find yours. I looked, but I can't read all the text on your token. Hopefully this lead will help you find it.
Valued Member
France
129 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2011  3:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I couldn't find it, but messaged them.
Many thanks :)
Valued Member
France
129 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2011  4:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have received an excellent reply :)
I hope he will post....
Valued Member
France
129 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2011  12:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's the response. Many thanks to Tony who runs that site :)

Your token is a farthing token from Exeter in Devonshire. The piece is of Phillip Ierman who was a grocer there. It is interesting in that the date is 1663. See #122 here: http://www.britishfarthings.com/Tok...onshire.html This piece is listed as 1668. It is possible that Williamson was in error or had a very hard to read piece and misread the 3 for an 8. Dickinson, however, has the piece as 1663 and one in 1666 in his work of 1986 so it is very possible that the piece was struck in three different years, 1663, 1666, and 1668. I would catalog your piece as #122, with the other two years being #122A and #122B respectively.

Pillar of the Community
United States
560 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2011  12:27 am  Show Profile Check mmorgan22's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add mmorgan22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's great that he was able to help you. I always love the history behind the coin. Thanks for sharing.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05