Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Dansco 7070

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
277 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2011  1:29 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add wolverine to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

It's been a long time since I posted. I guess I kinda got caught up in life...
BUT, I stopped by a local coin shop the other day just to check things out, it had been awhile since I had been there. The owner added a new section by the front door that was all used Dansco albums and Whitman albums.
I was able to pick up the US Type Set Dansco for $5! I had a few of the coins in quaility grades, but most of the older stuff I've never dealt with.
So I'm basically asking for opinions on how to attack this bad boy!

Pillar of the Community
United States
1488 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2011  1:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bizybackson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One coin at time. You also have to decide the grade ranges you are willing to settle for, G-VG for 19th Century, F-VF for 20th, etc. Bust silver coins are generally expensive in any grade, and so are both of the Seated dollars. Good luck with your quest!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3904 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2011  1:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm going to try to do a 7070 of exclusively holed coins, to make it more affordable, but also interesting. I already have several 19th century holed coins I got out of a dealer's junk box as a kid ( Seated half dimes and dimes, silver 3 cents, etc.) The challenge will be finding holed modern coins, and I'm not gonna drill them myself, that would be cheating. I did stumble across a holed Jefferson nickel the other day, and I've seen holed Kennedy halves (I've the same holed '74 pass through my hands twice in my roll searching - I'll hang on to it if it comes by again). But will I find a holed Sacagawea, SBA, FDR dime or state quarter?
Pillar of the Community
United States
522 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2011  2:27 pm  Show Profile Check BLUESZONE's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BLUESZONE to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Decide on the grade you will accept then be ready for a long ride. I started about 6 months ago and between what I had and a couple of coin shows I'm about halfway there. Unfortunately I have most of the easy ones and still need the though ones. I have the impulse to fill holes quickly so this isn't easy for me. It's such a nice looking set when you do it right. I don't have a big coin budget so I'm sure it will take years to finish. I'm trying to pick off one row at a time. One more nickel and that row is done then small cents I think.
Learn More...
United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2011  5:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I went for problem free in AU-50 or above for my Dansco7070 album and I have the Gold Page as well in mine (the gold page is done and actually have 2 holes left to fill). I have added up the value of the coins in the album about a year and a half ago and I think the value exceeds $20,000.00 so far so it can get pricey but it can also be done on a budget and spend allot less by just filling the holes with what ever fills the holes. It is really up to you on how you do it, I have seen this album filled with nothing but holed coins and I have seen it filled with nothing but the lowest grade they could find. I myself like to make everything look uniformed and that is why I tried to keep everything in AU or above in mine. If you would like to see my album I have a link in my signature showing the album but there is also a thread here where everyone is showing off their coins in their 7070 album and you will see just about all grades are represented throughout the thread
Pillar of the Community
United States
1486 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2011  11:41 pm  Show Profile Check Coinstar's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Coinstar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
working on mine--great book but the early stuff can be ruff
"The internet? Is that thing still around?" Homer Simpson.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1552 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2011  10:20 am  Show Profile Check KenKat's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I tried for a minimum of VF coins when I was putting mine together. I had to go a little lower on a couple of the early coppers due to budget constraints.

One thing I liked about the VF level is that I was able to complete the set with mostly raw coins. I did break a couple of slabs for the harder coins, especially some of the Dollars where I was concerned about counterfeits.
My 7070 US Type Set
My 7100 Lincoln Cent Set (pics a little out of date - ok, really out of date...)
Edited by KenKat
08/18/2011 10:22 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
766 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2012  01:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coindog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found a Kennedy half with a hole if you want it.
ANA member #3169039
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.77 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05