Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Numismatic Discussion Forums (Non Country Specific)
 Third Party Coin Grading (TPG)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

how to submit

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
kylecolb
Valued Member
United States
351 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2011  2:13 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add kylecolb to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I am new to certified coins, and I have a Morgan I would like to submit and a type 1 liberty gold dollar I would like graded. How does someone go about submitting? Who should I go through? How much does it cost? How long does it take? any info is appreciated!!

Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
3144 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2011  3:23 pm  Show Profile Check CoinsKelly's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add CoinsKelly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello! I am not a Morgan gal and there are those here who can give you a recommendation on which TPG to submit but I would like to give you some thoughts for your first submission.

We recently submitted 4 coins to PCGS for our first submission and while I felt they were on target for two of them, there were questions in my mind regarding one of them, which happened to be my favorite of the 4. It came back as authenticated but tooled. I can't even tell you how angry I was . I took this beautiful coin to several dealers I know as well as a coin show to ask where the tooling was. I could not find one person who could definitively identify the mystery mark or marks. The dealer I purchased it from offered a refund, I refused because I really love this little coin. It was that offer that calmed me down. I have always been a proponent of buy the coin and not the slab so if I had to do it all over again, I would still buy the coin. I will eventually resubmit it because I find the "Tooling" tattoo so offensive but I find I still enjoy looking at it all the same.

While the TPGs have extensive experience and resources to come up with their opinions, please remember they ARE opinions and your enjoyment of the coin is what is most important. Or if you are slabbing to help a sale, listen to the wonderful folks here who can tell you which one to use for which issue. Cheers!
Edited by CoinsKelly
08/22/2011 3:24 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1064 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2011  4:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JackB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good advice Kelly; answers a couple of my questions also. For the one you got back as tooled, is there any explanation from PCGS as to what that means? Maybe not specific to what/where on your coin, but in general what 'tooled' implies?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
11080 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2011  4:53 pm  Show Profile Check biokemist6's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In general, "tooling" refers to the re-engraving/re-working of small details to make a coin appear to be a higher grade. Some areas for tooling are hair, drapery, stars, and feathers.
ANA R-3151318
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1064 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2011  5:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JackB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks biokemist - that explanation seems to indicate you could probably see that rework with a loupe, like maybe tiny lines in the details?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
11080 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2011  5:13 pm  Show Profile Check biokemist6's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It really depends on the skill of the coin doctor, some are so sloppy that the work resembles "spaghetti hair" while others are so good that they may evade TPG detection.
ANA R-3151318
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3144 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2011  5:29 pm  Show Profile Check CoinsKelly's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add CoinsKelly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What made me so mad is there was not an explanation as to where the tooling occurred. I tried to contact them to find out (I know, I know, my husband giggled as I hit submit) but all I received was a generic form email stating that they look at thousands of coins and could not say for sure - just that their system is so wonderful I should rely on it. (Sorry still a little bitter ).

It is a 3 cent silver so I thought it might be in the shield but none of the dealers I had look at it saw anything in the shield. A couple thought there might be a mark on the reverse but one interpreted it as a possible mark on the die. Like I said, I would buy it all over again so I think I made a good deal.
United States
16622 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2011  12:57 pm  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tooling in silver Trimes is almost always in the shield; too little detail exists on the other face to be eligible for it. The shield wears almost instantly when it hits circulation. I don't blame you for being attached to the coin; they draw me the same way too.

It's my belief that PCGS, having been very publicly burned by coin doctors recently, has done a pendulum swing to the conservative side. Anything remotely questionable gets a Genuine "scarlet letter."
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, numismo - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3144 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2011  2:17 pm  Show Profile Check CoinsKelly's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add CoinsKelly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry for the trime hijack.

kylecolb is looking for advice to submit a Morgan and type 1 liberty gold dollar.

I am looking forward to your recommendations and whys .
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4000 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2011  10:13 am  Show Profile Check Jaobler's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you only have 2 coins and want to minimize your cost ANACS is your best bet. Go to their website (www.anacs.com) to read their FAQs and print a submission form. They are reputable and you don't have to join a club to make a submission.

If your coins are potentially high-value specimens it may be worth sending them to PCGS since coins in their holders tend to sell for the most. You need to join their club, with the minimum "silver" membership costing something like $50 a year. Their per-coin grading fee is higher than ANACS. Another option is to find a PCGS-authorized dealer and pay them to send the coins. That will likewise cost you since the dealer will likely charge you an additional service fee. A good dealer however may offer a useful opinion about your coins, before taking your money. Many coins are not worth submitting due to problems like cleaning, alterations, or damage that an inexperienced collector can overlook. The dealer may catch such issues and advise you not to waste your money.

How about posting images of the coins you want to send in? You'll get lots more opinions!

Good luck!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05