Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1940-S Merc DDO?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
219 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2011  2:16 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add beachloan to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I found this today, but it is not listed in my Cherrypickers guide. Is it just so common that it is not listed? Or am I just seeing things?

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11210 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2011  2:47 pm  Show Profile Check biokemist6's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Based on the description, your Merc might be DDO-004 or possibly DDO-002(which is also DDR-001) but at any rate, you definitely have a fairly strong doubled die there

http://varietyvista.com/Variety%20M....htm#_1940-S
ANA R-3151318
Valued Member
United States
211 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2011  2:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JoeyZ76 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i agree...its looks like a DDO to me too.

lets see a pic of the whole obverse and reverse...!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
10045 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2011  3:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see notching in IGWT--nice!
Valued Member
United States
219 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2011  4:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add beachloan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin is actually quite white but my lighting sucks!

Valued Member
United States
225 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2011  7:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add arsave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice! Congrats!
Valued Member
United States
219 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2011  7:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add beachloan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bio, Thank you very much for that link. I found it very helpful. I am not looking to sell this or anything but just curious how you would go about pricing. If I am reading this correct there are only 2 of these reported? I am however going to send it in.

Designation:
2-O-II-C

Description:
Strong spread on date and light on designer's initials, and lower IN GOD WE TRUST

Grade:
MS63

Population:

Thanks for any info.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2706 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2011  8:34 pm  Show Profile Check macmercury's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add macmercury to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice DDO.
Now I need to go look for it too. LOL!
Valued Member
United States
211 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2011  9:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JoeyZ76 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those CONECA POP's dont mean anything....

it only means that they have only had 2 submitted to them.

you have to exactly ID the DDO # if it exists (hard to tell since CONECA shows no pics of the coins or the die markers)

then check PCGS-ANACS-NGC etc...to see what their POPs are.

that might give you a clue as to how scarce a variety might be.
Valued Member
United States
219 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2011  9:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add beachloan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got it, Thanks for the info bio!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1151 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2011  06:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add yankee1227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice coin. If you dont mind me asking, how much did you pay for it?
Valued Member
United States
219 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2011  1:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add beachloan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yankee, here is the great part for me. I bought 1000's of silver coins years ago when I was paying $5.00 an oz for bullion and had no interest in numismatic value. I have recently become interested (mainly in varieties)and started going through them. Long story short .40-.50 cents.
Pillar of the Community
United States
817 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2011  7:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Las_Vegas_Larry to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It doesn't get much better than this.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2015 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2015 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05