Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1892 Half Dollar

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1967 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2011  5:33 pm Show Profile Check XavierOfGreen's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add XavierOfGreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

So I picked this up today at a local coin shop for melt value. Im rather bad at grading canadian coins and was wondering what this one might grade at/be worth.
Thanks!
-XoG

Oldest Found-------
Cent: 1842 (from machine) ---- Three Cent: 1866 [Nickel] (from machine)
Nickel: 1883 (from roll) ---- Dime: 1911 (from roll)
Quarter: 1932 (from machine) ---- Half: 1917 (from roll)
Dollar: 1880 (from machine) ---- Foriegn: 1863 (from machine)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3748 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2011  6:33 pm  Show Profile Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did you say melt, as in $15 or less? Are you able to check the weight of the coin? From what I can see, it does not have any of the markers of the Chinese counterfeits (i.e., legit). The reverse is probably slightly convex, it is worn considerably relative to the obverse, but lucky you, the obverse carries the most weight with coin grades - it should be a solid VF-20. I wonder why the dealer let it go so cheap....
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

eBay Store: http://stores.ebay.ca/SPP-Ottawa
Edited by SPP-Ottawa
09/23/2011 6:33 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3748 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2011  6:34 pm  Show Profile Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also, please tell me which coin store you shop at...
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

eBay Store: http://stores.ebay.ca/SPP-Ottawa
Edited by SPP-Ottawa
09/23/2011 6:34 pm
Valued Member
Canada
272 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2011  6:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add neweden to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would agree at the VF-20 grade.
The coin looks like the obverse 4 variety, it trends at $500.00, so if you picked it up at melt I would beeline it back to your supplier and see if he has any more..
Pillar of the Community
United States
1967 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2011  6:49 pm  Show Profile Check XavierOfGreen's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add XavierOfGreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! I guess I made out like a bandit then lol. This was the only canadian half he had for sale, though I have picked up some other goodies from him rather cheaply before.

Thanks for the info! Would it be suggested to get it certified by pcgs or iccs?
Oldest Found-------
Cent: 1842 (from machine) ---- Three Cent: 1866 [Nickel] (from machine)
Nickel: 1883 (from roll) ---- Dime: 1911 (from roll)
Quarter: 1932 (from machine) ---- Half: 1917 (from roll)
Dollar: 1880 (from machine) ---- Foriegn: 1863 (from machine)
Valued Member
Canada
307 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2011  2:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add guppie1160 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
but lucky you, the obverse carries the most weight with coin grades

Generally I don't comment on other grading as it is an opinion...but this is a statement and I don't agree with it. Both sides of the coin carry equal weight....if the obverse is a higher grade than the reverse people tend to give it the lower of the two grades or they split the grade...
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05