Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1950/1952 challenge coin?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2006  3:46 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rainah to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hi all. I recently bought a korean coin/ token that I would like to get info on. I have been looking on the internet but havent found much on the coin, im probably not looking in the right place. The coin says 1950 1952 17th INF KOREA on the front and on the back there is a buffalo with the year 1812. I was looking around and found "challenge coins" that had the same kinda style, I was wondering if maybe this was a challege coin. If anyone has any info let me know. Im going to include some terrible pictures, my camra broke so I took them with my phone CAM :(. Thanks!

Pillar of the Community
United States
4589 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2006  4:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scoutjim99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It sounds like it may be, I believe the 17 INF was in Korea, but more likely a Buffalo nickel reengraved kind of like a love token or Hobo Nickel
Pillar of the Community
United States
741 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2006  4:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add texasmick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What could be the significance of 1812? It predates the Buffalo nickel by 101 years.
Valued Member
United States
256 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2006  5:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SE to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could be a form of trench art as seen in previous wars.
Valued Member
United States
460 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2006  5:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Andrew289 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think this will answer some of your questions:
http://www.17thinfantry.com/history.asp

http://www.17thinfantry.com/korea.asp

http://www.7thinfantry.com/forums/t...?TOPIC_ID=95

I was told by the sgt. that gave it to me that any time you are out
(EM club)for us. If you ask another Buffalo GI if he has his Nickle with him, and he does, you buy him a beer. If he doesn't he owes you a beer.
I ran into an old friend I served with in Korea about 20 years later and one of the first things he ask was "do you have your nickle"
And I said "yes" because I still had it and I still carried it.
He bought me a beer.

USMINT>GOV PRESS

"This quarter will capture the imagination of Americans," said Deputy Director Lebryk. "It evokes remarkable pieces of North Dakota history wild buffalo herds and the rugged landscape of the Badlands."

The reverse of the North Dakota quarter also bears the inscriptions "North Dakota" and "1889," the year North Dakota was admitted into the Union, becoming our Nation's 39th state. The North Dakota quarter is the 39th coin in the 50 State Quarters series and the fourth commemorative quarter-dollar released in 2006.

Following the ceremony, Deputy Director Lebryk, Governor Hoeven, First Lady Mikey Hoeven, Lieutenant Governor Dalrymple and the 17th Infantry Regiment and Company H re-enactors handed out shiny, new North Dakota quarters to the children in the crowd. Adults lined up to exchange their bills for $10 rolls of North Dakota quarters.

Edited by Andrew289
12/30/2006 5:54 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1247 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2006  7:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add longnine009 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It appears you have something that is not cataloged. Cunningham shows the same images but 1950 1951 for 1st Brigade 17th Infantry and another for 1950 1951 17th Infantry. They also were issued holed. Both issues came from Camp Casey (Ton Du Chon) Camp Casey BTW was established on Jan. 14, 1954--Post Korean War. So maybe they are Challege Coins or some kind of tribute issue to the Brigade/Division when they during the war.

2nd Infantry Div also issued a similar token from Camp Casey but with the Indian Head design. It too was issed holed. The Indian Head side is dated 1917 and the unit side is dated 1960. This would seem to be some kind of Challenge Coin or unit tribute token. As far as I know what Cunningham cataloged were tokens that could somehow be spent in clubs or exchanges. So, I thinking *maybe* for both 17th and 2nd they were all of the above--A Challenge Coin, a tribute token and something that could be, if someone wanted, be used in the clubs.

"It's an experimental division at Ft. Benning, and
your lucky to be assigned there rather than anywhere
else, because nobody knows anything about it, which
means that you should know quickly as much about it
as anybody." ---[Maybe more.]

1st Cav in Vietnam
Shelby Stanton
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2006  8:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rainah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the info everyone! I greatly appreciate it!
Valued Member
United States
287 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2006  11:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Silver Dollar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting. learn so much on the forum.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4589 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2006  12:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scoutjim99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The concept is of the challeange coin then. Were they called the buffalos, I have challange coins Only ones that I have personally earned < I have never attempted to collect them otherwise , but they are prodeuced to be such, so thats why I assume it made from a Buffalo nickel
Pillar of the Community
United States
4589 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2006  12:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scoutjim99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I belong to a challange coin club or forum I will try to get some info for you
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2007  4:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JAYMEDINC to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What you have there is considered by experts to be the oldest known Challenge Coin. Those who disagree, I Challenge you to find one older.

Other people also have one of these, and they can be found on eBay occasionally. They typically sell for about $200.

Sincerely,
Jesse
http://ChallengeCoinAssociation.org
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05